AK barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AK barrel

Can anyone recomend an pressed in US made barell for 7.62 under 150.00 dollars?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #2

anyone? what about green mountain?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #3

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Green mountain makes good black powder and .22 barrels. Imagine they would make a decent AK barrel if they offer one.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #4

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

From what I understand Green Mountain makes the barrels for Century's AK's that they put together.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 AM   #5

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Here is a good barrel that is pressed in.
It is hammer forged & chrome lined just like the orignal barrels.
http://armsofamerica.com/newromanianakhammerforgedchromelinedbarrel762x39.a spx

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man View Post
Here is a good barrel that is pressed in.
It is hammer forged & chrome lined just like the orignal barrels.
http://armsofamerica.com/newromanianakhammerforgedchromelinedbarrel762x39.a spx
"still need the hand guard notch. Retainer pin cut needs to be made after parts are fitted. The gas port hole has not been drilled."

Assuming I have to take the barrel down to my local gunsmith to have this work done, Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy a barrel already ready to go? I am not a gunsmith so I do not know how much work or time is required for doing these things.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanson View Post
"still need the hand guard notch. Retainer pin cut needs to be made after parts are fitted. The gas port hole has not been drilled."

Assuming I have to take the barrel down to my local gunsmith to have this work done, Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy a barrel already ready to go? I am not a gunsmith so I do not know how much work or time is required for doing these things.
Good luck finding one "already ready to go" that is why it is called building not assembly.

The hand guard notch can be cut with a steady hand and a dremel. The retainer pins & gas port hole will always need be cut to your parts.

George S. Patton

Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Good luck finding one "already ready to go" that is why it is called building not assembly.

The hand guard notch can be cut with a steady hand and a dremel. The retainer pins & gas port hole will always need be cut to your parts.
I wasn't trash talking the barrel, I appreciate the help.....I was more or less asking If I myelf would be cappable of doing to the work myself.

I assume there are jigs or fixtures I can buy to do the gas port hole myself but I don't know about the retainer pin notch.....looks like most people cut them on a Mill at a machine shop? or is there a way someone can do that at home too?

Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #9

The gas port hole can be drilled by a hand drill after the gas block is pinned in place with a long gas port drill bit.
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30051
The .223 & the 5.45 barrels need to be drilled first then assembled because the gas port is 90° to the bore & you can't drill through the gas block.
If you have or buy one of these small drill presses you have everything you need for drilling & reaming the block mounting pins.
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html
The hand guard notch I cut with a dremel & then finished it with a round hand file.
Just trying to let you see that it can be done at home & if you take it slow you can make it look as good or better than the factory made guns.

George S. Patton

Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #10

Quote:
The gas port hole can be drilled by a hand drill after the gas block is pinned in place with a long gas port drill bit.
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30051
The .223 & the 5.45 barrels need to be drilled first then assembled because the gas port is 90° to the bore & you can't drill through the gas block.
If you have or buy one of these small drill presses you have everything you need for drilling & reaming the block mounting pins.
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html
The hand guard notch I cut with a dremel & then finished it with a round hand file.
Just trying to let you see that it can be done at home & if you take it slow you can make it look as good or better than the factory made guns.
Thanks for all the info! And thanks for the link to the drill press, I will see about getting ahold of one. I have a dremel, precision measuring tools, basic tools exct... I took your recomendations and bought the romanian barrel. Looks like they are a few weeks behind on sending out orders but at least they have in stock...