AK ammo question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK ammo question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I think Florida is the same way, but am not sure. I tried looking online but couldn't find anything. I just ordered a DPMS LR-308B(.308 AR) that I plan on doing some hunting with and was wondering if there was a maximum magazine capacity for deer hunting. Anyone know where I might find such info?

We have the same problem in Florida. In fact, I'm taking my new AR next weekend and me can my cousin are heading down to my grandparents Orange Grove to see if we can kill a few. Should be pretty fun.

-Fred

DPMS does sell a 4 rd. mag for that rifle for hunting. As stated above, many states have a 5 rd. mag capacity. Some states prohibit more than 10 rds. for any purpose. DPMS ships there LR308 rifles with (2) 20 rd. mags. Actually I believe they are 19 rd. mags..
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-30-2009, 02:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
DPMS does sell a 4 rd. mag for that rifle for hunting. As stated above, many states have a 5 rd. mag capacity. Some states prohibit more than 10 rds. for any purpose. DPMS ships there LR308 rifles with (2) 20 rd. mags. Actually I believe they are 19 rd. mags..
I saw where they sold the 4 and 10 rd. mags and thought about just playing it safe and buying a 4 rd, but they're like $50 so I was trying to figure out if I need one for sure. Maybe I'll just try calling FWC.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 07-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I saw where they sold the 4 and 10 rd. mags and thought about just playing it safe and buying a 4 rd, but they're like $50 so I was trying to figure out if I need one for sure. Maybe I'll just try calling FWC.

-Fred
Several places sell DPMS mags for $29 and $39. I saw the Sportsman's Guide had them also, but they won't ship to NY....Also either CDNN Sports or J&G Sales in Shotgun News..problem is, the 4 rd. is the same price as the 19 rd!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Several places sell DPMS mags for $29 and $39. I saw the Sportsman's Guide had them also, but they won't ship to NY....Also either CDNN Sports or J&G Sales in Shotgun News..problem is, the 4 rd. is the same price as the 19 rd!
Sweet, I would definitely order one if I could get it for $29. I'll shop around and see what I can find. Once again, thanks for the help.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 07-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #15

Just did a search on google and found some for $30 or $35, but everyone is out of them. I'll try stopping by my local gun shop and see if they can order me one.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:56 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
...problem is, the 4 rd. is the same price as the 19 rd!
Is that really a problem?!? It's a specialized tool that you need for certain situations. If you need to buy it, then you need to buy it.

It's not like they price magazines based on the number of rounds they can hold. They base price on cost of manufacture, number of units that will be sold, etc. If everyone bought a 4 round mag, I bet the price would drop quite a bit.

Anyway, it's good that you all are mentioning potential restrictions regarding hunting. I'd hate for someone new to the sport of shooting to get slapped with a huge fine because they just didn't know. Before shooting ANYTHING live, you should check with the local and/or state government and make sure you aren't breaking any laws!

Old 07-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
Is that really a problem?!? It's a specialized tool that you need for certain situations. If you need to buy it, then you need to buy it.
This is EXACTLY why it's a problem...DPMS knows the restrictions exist, and this is why they price ALL there magazines equally....because they CAN. No other magazines will fit a DPMS .308 except those made for the Knight SR-25 which are the same magazines at the same price!
Quote:
It's not like they price magazines based on the number of rounds they can hold. They base price on cost of manufacture, number of units that will be sold, etc. If everyone bought a 4 round mag, I bet the price would drop quite a bit.
That's exactly what most other manufacturers do! Are you saying 20 rd. AR mags are the same price as 30 rd. mags? The 4 rd. DPMS mag is less than half the materials of the 19 rd. mag...

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-30-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I concur. A 40 round mag is certainly pricier than a 30. A drum, well, do the math.

I don't understand why a plastic magazine plug isn't offered super cheap, something that would block off the common 30 round mag to accomodate only 4 rounds.

Wait, gotta run to the patent office.