Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK ammo question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AK ammo question

Now that I am a new (and proud) owner of a WASR (200lb wild pig-1st time out), I have an ammo question. I'm a new hunter. I have, so far, just bought small boxes of Wolf fmj or Yugo sp, I want to buy 1000 rnds. and have been looking at Gun Broker, etc. There is a lot of fmj and hp. Some of the ads talk about the fmj as being range and practice rounds but my pig went down just fine (although I got a little exited and it may have been quantity rather than quality of shots). I need quidance on recommendations for "all 'round", so I can make a better decision before I buy. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #2

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

The FMJ is a good round, it has a little bit deeper penetration, but the hollow points will expand more and do a lot more damage. The most important thing to me is bullet placement and not what a bullet can or cannot do as damage goes. A well-placed shot to the head or hart will result in a death regardless if you use a FMJ or hollow point.

I use both FMJ and hollow points in my SKS, they will both have about the same ballistics going down range and accuracy will not very much. Where boar hunting goes I would more then likely use the FMJ for the deeper penetration.

Just my 2 cents worth

Old 07-06-2009, 02:56 AM   #3

damn...hunting with an ak? is that even legal

Steyr M9-A1

Walther P99 .40

GP1975 AK-47

DPMS Panther AR-15

Old 07-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #4

There are areas where its legal.
Depends on the area and what you are hunting.

S.S.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:29 AM   #5

Dunno, but it was sweet. Lots of noise, lots of smoke and dead pig (and it wasn't white with a curly tail). Easy to carry in the 4-wheeler too. Did it in Texas and it was on private land where the suckers were tearing up pastures real bad and it legal at any time to rid these pests from production land. Had to be care though. Lots of cattle and horses in some parts and saw about 300 deer, but can't do them.......yet.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:10 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8307 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

MOST 7.62 X 39 Hollow Point is made that way for accuracy, not expansion. For expansion (hunting) there is a soft point bullet. You are attempting to increase the size of the wound channel, in an effort increase the rate of bleeding out, impacting a major organ, cutting major nerves, etc. This a balanced agaisnt the DEPTH of the wound channel (you NEED penetration) Hit a deer with a FMJ, and the deer may die- but likely to be somewhere a mile away. A gent that TEACHES veterinary science and is a hunter once said "You really want two holes in the critter- one to let air in, one to let blood out."

Yes, I know about headshots- but at any real distance, on a moving animal smaller than an elephant, that can be real hard to do.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

The 7.62 x 39mm cartrige is suitable for hunting, however most states require that you only use a 5 round mag in the weapon. The SJSP (semi-jacketed soft point) is best for hunting medium sized game. It is typically a 154 grain bullet, while the FMJs and JHPs are usually 122-125 grains. For practice I use surplus FMJs from whatever country is still shipping out cheap sardine cans for 19-23 cents/round. The can be found all over the web. Never hunted much myself though (although I can). Just love shootin.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

There is no magazine restriction in Texas except when hunting migratory birds (Federal law).

Hogs are not game animals and there are no real restrictions in hunting them. We have so dang many of these nasty critters, you are encouraged to kill as many as you can. Some areas employ professional hunters to thin the herds.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #9

When I was in Texas, my Son-in-Law told me there were a couple of "pro" hog "removers" in the area. They could go in a large ranch and clear a couple hundred hogs in a day. That sounds crazy to me, but I know the hog problem is horrible and all over the whole country and these guys like what they do and smile a lot. I know there were over 200 on the ranch I was at but we didn't see any herd. We saw a couple and got one. My buddy missed. HA HA

Old 07-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
There is no magazine restriction in Texas except when hunting migratory birds (Federal law).
I think Florida is the same way, but am not sure. I tried looking online but couldn't find anything. I just ordered a DPMS LR-308B(.308 AR) that I plan on doing some hunting with and was wondering if there was a maximum magazine capacity for deer hunting. Anyone know where I might find such info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Hogs are not game animals and there are no real restrictions in hunting them. We have so dang many of these nasty critters, you are encouraged to kill as many as you can. Some areas employ professional hunters to thin the herds.
We have the same problem in Florida. In fact, I'm taking my new AR next weekend and me can my cousin are heading down to my grandparents Orange Grove to see if we can kill a few. Should be pretty fun.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"