AK-74 still used?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK-74 still used?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default AK-74 still used?

In a lot of somewhat recent photos it seems as though many slovic armies still use the Ak-74 and its variants as a main infantry rifle, is this really the case? And if so, why aren't more Ak-74 type rifles sold here?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #2

Yes, Russia's standard issue rifle is still the AK-74. As for why there aren't many sold here I don't know.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default AK-74, still in USE?

Hello all/Responce to ARnoob:

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

Yes, to echo Ermac, the AK-74 is still in use in the Russian republic, as well as many other countries that use to be part of the "Soviet Union", as for why it's not seen in numbers, that would be due to restictions on IMPORT! Thier were some Romanian SAR-2 Rifles chambered in 5.45x39 Like the AK-74 and built maninly from thier parts but I think the restrictions on imports of non sporting rifle barrels and other older restriction issues have dried up the few that were imported, the time you do see them, they bring big $, compared to the regular 7.72X39, at least in my neck of the woods? Hope this helps some small degree?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Hello all/Responce to ARnoob:

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

Yes, to echo Ermac, the AK-74 is still in use in the Russian republic, as well as many other countries that use to be part of the "Soviet Union", as for why it's not seen in numbers, that would be due to restictions on IMPORT! Thier were some Romanian SAR-2 Rifles chambered in 5.45x39 Like the AK-74 and built maninly from thier parts but I think the restrictions on imports of non sporting rifle barrels and other older restriction issues have dried up the few that were imported, the time you do see them, they bring big $, compared to the regular 7.72X39, at least in my neck of the woods? Hope this helps some small degree?
If the importation ban is an issue, then why not the same problem with all the 7.62 X 39 AK-47 type rifles?

Do Russian military forces still use the 7.62 X 39 AK-47 type rifles? It seems as though many of the arab/muslim forces do. I'm just curious because it seems as though there's a lot of surplus 5.45 X 39 ammo out there, but no rifles to go with it.

One last point, why aren't there any US companies willing to make AK-74 and AK-47 type rifles? I think there're a couple of companies (Kreb's, etc.) that do custom jobs, but not complete AK type rifles. Someone should step in to fill that gap and they'd do quite well.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default American made AKs

Hey, I don't know if this is fact or not, but Classic Arms (good place to do business with BTW) said that the Cugir factory in Romania will no longer be making those cheap Ak's they're famous for. So, as the supply dries up, this may lead to a steady increase in AK prices.

They said that Century Arms is putting an end to their YUGO AKs. So, they expect American companies to start producing 100% made in the USA AK's! Which, is totally cool in my book, but they may be pricey.

What do you guys think?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default You might want to check out...

This Company Blackheart International I believe it's called.

They were at the Shot Show in Feb making big announcements about having the "Most Technologically advanced AK variants on the market".

I am not a fan of the AK weapons, but they seemed to have a decent product. I don't know anything about the company or their prices though...

D

Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Actually, the only two countries still using the AK74 are Russia and Cyprus. Most other countries that still use a Klashnikov pattern rifle have returned to the 7.62x39 round, or are now using a 5.56 variant...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I found out that Romania is already in both the EU and NATO, so this doesn't seem to be a deciding factor as to why they'd stop making and importing those WASR's. Just wanted to clear that rumor up.