Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK-74 jams alot.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AK-74 jams alot.

Sorry if this has been asked but I just hate searching for answers. I recently bought myself an AK-74. I bought it off of a friend of mine. He mentioned that it jammed once in a while, but after I bought it and took it out I noticed that "once in a while" meant every other round. Is there a common problem that would cause this. It is stovepiping most of time but sometimes the casing works it's way under the whole bolt assembly or sometimes off to the wrong side. I am by no means an expert with this thing and don't really know technical terms. With that said. I was thinking maybe the part towards the rear that holds the round in front of the firing pin may not be rotating quick enough for the casing to strike the ejector pin( the little piece of steel on the left hand inside of the frame) hard enough or flush enough to eject the casing. The only other thing I could think of is that I am using army surplus rounds that I got with the gun. I think he said that they are 50 or even 52 grain. That seems like a light powder load for this round. Is it possible that the round isn't throwing the slide back far enough to eject the casing right. If this where the case though you would think that the hammer wouldn't be resetting. Could somebody give some advice? I got about 15 rounds straight out of it at the most before it would jam, but usually it's every third or every other casing that jams. I got six clips and 600 rounds of ammo with the ak and the gun has a folding stock on it too. I only paid 350 dollars so if I have to replace something it would be still be worth it. Any help out there for me?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #2

I'm certainly no expert on these matters but I would definitely try some different ammo first.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5658 Times on 3326 Posts
Likes Given: 4788

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragstoriches View Post
The only other thing I could think of is that I am using army surplus rounds that I got with the gun. I think he said that they are 50 or even 52 grain. That seems like a light powder load for this round.
OK, one of us is misunderstanding your friend. I bleve he was referring to the weight of the projectile/bullet when he said ~50 grains, not the amount of powder in the cartridge.

Have you given it a thorough cleaning? Some of the AR peeps have complained of a buildup of laquer from some steel-cased laquer-coated ammo of Russian origin; perhaps your having some stickiness in there. I also wonder about the gas tube & piston cleanliness. The gas tube will get REALLY dirty with some of that surplus ammo, and the gas tube provides the "oomph" to extract the empty casing. I would clean it VERY thoroughly and try some name brand ammo to see if that has any effect.

Good luck!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 09-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
OK, one of us is misunderstanding your friend. I bleve he was referring to the weight of the projectile/bullet when he said ~50 grains, not the amount of powder in the cartridge.

Have you given it a thorough cleaning? Some of the AR peeps have complained of a buildup of laquer from some steel-cased laquer-coated ammo of Russian origin; perhaps your having some stickiness in there. I also wonder about the gas tube & piston cleanliness. The gas tube will get REALLY dirty with some of that surplus ammo, and the gas tube provides the "oomph" to extract the empty casing. I would clean it VERY thoroughly and try some name brand ammo to see if that has any effect.

Good luck!
Yeah I cleaned the gas tube out very well and also the piston. It seems to work a lot better. It still hangs up once in awhile, but not as bad as before. I was thinking about looking for a extractor spring because I suspect it might be worn. Would it help if I took a real fine file to the extractor? It seems like it has a little bur on it. Could this be the cause of the now less frequent jamming?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5658 Times on 3326 Posts
Likes Given: 4788

I'd be careful with the filing, but post up a pic for the smithy's to ogle. Maybe someone smarter than me will see it & know if that is the problem.

That gas system can get nasty; my friend has to use a pipe cleaner on the gas block area on his WASR.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Which AK-47 analog is it? Is it the original Russian, the Chinese type 100(or whichever type it is, there are a lot), one from a kit, or one from one of the ex-USSR satellites?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Does it jam with any magazine? Have you tried other magazines?
It is unusual to hear of AK type rifles jamming.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #8

I picked up two WASR-2's a few years back on the same day. The double stack was new and ran fine but the single stack was used. The guy hated the rifle, said it jammed all the time and the scope rail was too low in the front. He only had 100 rds thru it & had never cleaned it. $50 bill bought it.

I cleaned the used rifle up real good, put 100 rds down range and it still jammed, mainly stove piped or over-ride, just really bad extraction. I took an old M-16 chamber brush on one section of rifle rod, chucked it in my variable speed drill & polished the chamber with some fine grade rubbing compound. The empty cases had been dragging in a rough chamber. Slowing them down enough to cause a jam. End of problem.

All the surplus 5.45x39 I've ever used is Bulgarian. Some of the guys I shoot with had problems with certain lots of the Russian surplus. Others have said their AK-74s didn't break in & run perfect till after around 300 rds?

I think all my AKs have a very tiny burr or rollover on the extractor edge, never seemed to bother. Oh yeah, the scope rail was too low in front, used two different height scope rings to level it out, turned into a terrific rifle.

Another thing, ALL my AKs love grease. I use a Q-tip & white lithium on all wear areas of the bolt & a light film inside the rails. Some guys use oil but I lube my AKs like they were a Garand or M-1A. This is just what I ran into, hope you get yours 100%. Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 09-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #9

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

All the surplus 5.45x39 I've ever used is Bulgarian.

Bulgarians also make the best AKs.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As a gun dealer who has seen this "I'll just throw money at it till it works" my advice is to return a malfunctioning gun to the builder whenever possible. See, I feel like whoever built it & made the money originally selling it should also get to fix it.