ak 74 buying tips - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > ak 74 buying tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 199 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Jeez someone sure has a high opinion of themselves.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
For an AK74 based production semiauto, the best quality and value is the Vepr. Reasons are: 100% factory new, upgraded materials, fit and finish, authentic pedigree. The only possible downside is being heavier, but that could be a plus also.

Next in line is the Saiga. It is also 100% single source, Russian, and very upgradeable. If you want military style, consider the Yugo: very solid receiver and the overall workmanship.

I would not categorically say that a milled receiver is more accurate than a stamped one. Accuracy is a function of many variables, barrel quality being the dominant one. A milled receiver is expected to be smoother in operation and last longer. I have not seen any hard evidence pointing to better accuracy on account of a milled receiver alone.
Isn't the vepr 7.62x54r? Cuz I don't want to throw out my shoulder. And saigas are just ugly. I know there are "conversion kits", but its basically rebuilding the rifle. Also is there a 5.45 Yugo? Cuz if there is it has been very elusive

Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post

Isn't the vepr 7.62x54r? Cuz I don't want to throw out my shoulder. And saigas are just ugly. I know there are "conversion kits", but its basically rebuilding the rifle. Also is there a 5.45 Yugo? Cuz if there is it has been very elusive
Nvm i thought vepr was a model, not a manufacturer. But I have the same problem like saiga, they just look ugly. I understand function over form but I'm not gonna buy a prius because they get good mpg. I saw a few 5.45 veprs that are converted but the price is about the same as arsenal. And arsenal uses russian parts from the factory too.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2622 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Quote:
Nvm i thought vepr was a model, not a manufacturer. But I have the same problem like saiga, they just look ugly. I understand function over form but I'm not gonna buy a prius because they get good mpg. I saw a few 5.45 veprs that are converted but the price is about the same as arsenal. And arsenal uses russian parts from the factory too.
Liking any AK to a Prius in any context would send a few liberals to the hospital. The Vepr is a brand, not a separate manufacturer. It is to Saiga what Lexus is to Toyota. (No pun intended) It comes in several common calibers. My apologies I don't remember exactly if the Yugos come in 5.45 soviet. It is easy to look up.

The serious difference is part kit assembly vs single source production. A rifle is more than the sum of its parts. You may get an excellent Arsenal, but an original factory production is more consistent over the years. The Saigas may be ugly but they are predictable. A part kit assembly may have little flaws here and there. One example, the magwell. You never know how much rattle and play you get until you handle that rifle. This is what I have experienced.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone used a waffen works ak? I understand they have a us barrel but reviews seem positive.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Has anyone used a waffen works ak? I understand they have a us barrel but reviews seem positive.
Nvm. Seems WW only uses non-CHF barrels. *sigh* looks like my 2 options are either a small fortune arsenal, or a conversion. So, final question. Has anyone done a convertion of a saiga 5.45 into a 74? And if you have can you do a price estimate please?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2622 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Around $100 for a parts kit, and free instructions to download. Or you can buy a conversion for roughly $700. It is a buyer's market, for now.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1209 Times on 674 Posts
Likes Given: 520

Arsenal makes a civilian AK-74 variant (SGL 31-95) that's as close as you're going to get to a real AK-74, but the ammunition is a problem and you can bet Obama and team are hard at work to cut off affordable ammunition sources to civilians.

Keep your AR. Get a 7.62 AK if you just have to have an AK.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #19

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Title says it. I want opinions on the best AK 74 variant rifle. I'm a very VERY savvy ar 15 nut and recently would like to get a AK 74. I've done a good bit of research and it seems arsenal is the way to go. Price isn't an issue. I buy quality that I know wont ever fail. So I'd rather not hear "u should get the century arms AK whatever, mine works great". no. No 1 million times over. Too risky. But I am open to opinions and do want to hear them. Are there any other manufacturers out there that make a good AK 74? I know siaga does but damn are they ugly. Now I am an ar fan. So accuracy is kinda a big deal. And I've heard good things about the arsenal aks. But I digress, lets hear it
Check out Vepr, best made ak variants on the market. You could out shoot an Ar with one
Here's mine

forumrunner_20130928_124458.jpg
forumrunner_20130928_124441.jpg   forumrunner_20130928_124509.jpg  

Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 199 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I almost bought an Arsenal for 1000, used never been shot but I just like the look of the original furniture when it comes to an AK. Thats why I bought a cheaper one. I have my AR as a tactical rifle. I do like the new AK12 that just went into service. When those come out I will definitely get one. Now that I do have an AK in my collection I am going to start buying collectors starting with the M1, etc. I would love to find an M1941 Johnson. I know they are a better concept than function but I just like the idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1941_Johnson_rifle