AK-47s become hot commodity - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK-47s become hot commodity

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Tell you what. Do I get to name the situation? Cause as much as I admire that pretty BAR, wish I had one, and the .270 or .308 round is very nice......it can't provide sustained suppression fire, or take the beating an AK can, and most importantly you can get, what, 4-5 decent AK variants for the price of that BAR? So let's say 4 X 30 RDS versus 5 or 10? I don't like those odds, John. As for a hunting rifle give me the Browning !
I have not been a saint in the way I have lived my life. I have done some stupid stuff that got me in some hairy situations. I have never needed to lay down suppression fire.

Why on earth would you need to lay down suppression fire? I am not going to base my choice of firearms on something I am never going to do.

I have no intentions of standing my ground in a situation where I need 30 rounds. The odds are I would be outgunned and out numbered. Even if I did make a poor choice and ended up in that situation. I still would prefer a powerful cartridge that would instantly stop my attackers and breach any level of body armor.

If you are going to shoot paper and you can live with the AK it is a fine choice. The AK is a great sporting rifle.

Last edited by John_Deer; 07-30-2014 at 08:48 AM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,565
Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have not been a saint in the way I have lived my life. I have done some stupid stuff that got me in some hairy situations. I have never needed to lay down suppression fire.

Why on earth would you need to lay down suppression fire? I am not going to base my choice of firearms on something I am never going to do.

I have no intentions of standing my ground in a situation where I need 30 rounds. The odds are I would be outgunned and out numbered. Even if I did make a poor choice and ended up in that situation. I still would prefer a powerful cartridge that would instantly stop my attackers and breach any level of body armor.

If you are going to shoot paper and you can live with the AK it is a fine choice. The AK is a great sporting rifle.
John, I am quite certain I'll never need to lay down suppression fire. You made the point of telling us that a 'real' gun is that fancy BAR....I made a point of pointing out that there are most definitely circumstances where an AK is a better rifle.....what's to argue about? You gonna take that BAR into battle over an AK? Or, to my earlier point, 4 of them?

whatever. I suppose there's a reason the US Military chose the BAR as their main battle rif........oooooops
chloeshooter is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Liberty24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Roanoke, TX
Posts: 26
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have not been a saint in the way I have lived my life. I have done some stupid stuff that got me in some hairy situations. I have never needed to lay down suppression fire.

Why on earth would you need to lay down suppression fire? I am not going to base my choice of firearms on something I am never going to do.

I have no intentions of standing my ground in a situation where I need 30 rounds. The odds are I would be outgunned and out numbered. Even if I did make a poor choice and ended up in that situation. I still would prefer a powerful cartridge that would instantly stop my attackers and breach any level of body armor.

If you are going to shoot paper and you can live with the AK it is a fine choice. The AK is a great sporting rifle.
In the world you describe every rifle would be a "sporting rifle" as there is no other purpose where there could ever be any value. To suggest that the BAR is a better battle rifle than an AK is not serious discussion. In addition to suggest 7.62x39 is not a powerful round is equally ridiculous. If you believe that a person cannot be stopped with a single cartridge of 7.62 that statement will speak for itself. There are more AKs in combat use than any rifle in the history of the world. That is settled fact. It seems odd that the AK would be the number one battle rifle in the world if it could not drop an enemy in a single shot. An AR15 must be exceedingly useless in your mind as well.

I suspect that nearly EVERY person in this forum would agree that reliability in adverse conditions is a good quality for a rifle. There has likely never been a more durable and reliable rifle in the history of the world than the AK.

The bottom line with your theory about situational use is that it is likely that the rifle will only sit in your closet for the remainder of your life. Any situation that you may devise is hypothetical and based solely on your imagination with no supporting facts. Therefore, all of us choose firearms that we like that possess qualities that we personally prefer over others.

With all of that being said, the AK remains the most common battle rifle in the world due to its diversity in a variety of situations. To say otherwise is not being intellectually honest.
Liberty24 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #44
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty24 View Post
In the world you describe every rifle would be a "sporting rifle" as there is no other purpose where there could ever be any value. To suggest that the BAR is a better battle rifle than an AK is not serious discussion. In addition to suggest 7.62x39 is not a powerful round is equally ridiculous. If you believe that a person cannot be stopped with a single cartridge of 7.62 that statement will speak for itself. There are more AKs in combat use than any rifle in the history of the world. That is settled fact. It seems odd that the AK would be the number one battle rifle in the world if it could not drop an enemy in a single shot. An AR15 must be exceedingly useless in your mind as well.

I suspect that nearly EVERY person in this forum would agree that reliability in adverse conditions is a good quality for a rifle. There has likely never been a more durable and reliable rifle in the history of the world than the AK.

The bottom line with your theory about situational use is that it is likely that the rifle will only sit in your closet for the remainder of your life. Any situation that you may devise is hypothetical and based solely on your imagination with no supporting facts. Therefore, all of us choose firearms that we like that possess qualities that we personally prefer over others.

With all of that being said, the AK remains the most common battle rifle in the world due to its diversity in a variety of situations. To say otherwise is not being intellectually honest.
some people have little understanding of ballistics when they make such statements and little understanding of history. the AK and the 7.62x39 round both have been around for many years and both have been used worldwide on the battlefield for many years as well. there are many brave men that are dead from the AK and the 7.62x39 round. it's effectiveness at killing are well known and well documented.

i also think some people have a hard time discerning between wants or needs in firearms. i have no need for the AR i own, but because i am an American, i don't have to justify my wants in firearms to anyone. i can own one, simply because i want to own one.
Axxe55 is offline  
Holmes375 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty24 View Post
In the world you describe every rifle would be a "sporting rifle" as there is no other purpose where there could ever be any value. To suggest that the BAR is a better battle rifle than an AK is not serious discussion. In addition to suggest 7.62x39 is not a powerful round is equally ridiculous. If you believe that a person cannot be stopped with a single cartridge of 7.62 that statement will speak for itself. There are more AKs in combat use than any rifle in the history of the world. That is settled fact. It seems odd that the AK would be the number one battle rifle in the world if it could not drop an enemy in a single shot. An AR15 must be exceedingly useless in your mind as well.

I suspect that nearly EVERY person in this forum would agree that reliability in adverse conditions is a good quality for a rifle. There has likely never been a more durable and reliable rifle in the history of the world than the AK.

The bottom line with your theory about situational use is that it is likely that the rifle will only sit in your closet for the remainder of your life. Any situation that you may devise is hypothetical and based solely on your imagination with no supporting facts. Therefore, all of us choose firearms that we like that possess qualities that we personally prefer over others.

With all of that being said, the AK remains the most common battle rifle in the world due to its diversity in a variety of situations. To say otherwise is not being intellectually honest.
I am not being intellectually dishonest. I have a pair of SKS rifles and an AR15 that sit in my safe gathering dust. If a 7.62x39 won't consistantly down a 80lb deer without a CNS hit it damn sure won't down a 200 lb man. You have to remember modern battle rifles are meant to wound a man so two other men have to carry him to safety. My intentions for self defense are not to wound an attacker. My intentions are to instantly stop stop the attacker and I want a round with enough hydrostatic shock to stop him if I don't make a perfect shot. The 30/06 will instantly stop an attacker. It doesn't matter if the attacker is behind a barrier or has body armor with trauma plates.

The 30/06 and the BAR were developed on the battlefield. The 30/06 was designed to pass through a steel helmet at 300 yards. Yes, the 30/06 was dropped for the 5.56x45. But most squads have a light machine gun of same fashion chambered in 308 to back up those peashooters.

We are all entitled to our opinion. I formed my opinion of the 7.62x39 before many people participating in this thread were born. You all cannot change my mind and I am not trying to change yours.

Last edited by John_Deer; 07-31-2014 at 12:18 AM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:09 AM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Liberty24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Roanoke, TX
Posts: 26
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I am not being intellectually dishonest. I have a pair of SKS rifles and a an AR15 that sit in my safe gathering dust. If a 7.62x39 won't consistantly down a 80lb deer without a CNS hit it damn sure won't down a 200 lb man. You have to remember modern battle rifles are meant to wound a man so two other men have to carry him to safety. My intentions for self defense are not to wound an attacker. My intentions are to instantly stop stop the attacker and I want a round with enough hydrostatic shock to stop him if I don't make a perfect shot. The 30/06 will instantly stop an attacker. It doesn't matter if the attacker is behind a barrier or has body armor with trauma plates.
The AK 47 was not meant "wound". It was meant to kill. Brush up on your history. The Russians and Chinese have never meant to "wound". Your description of the "modern battle rifle" pertains to the origin of the 5.56/.223 and NOT 7.62X39. Each statement you make is becoming more silly.

If you cant drop an 80lb deer with a 7.62X39 it is because you cant hit the deer. I would recommend brushing up on your accuracy. You may be the very first person that I have ever heard in my entire life make such a ridiculous statement. I may have to refrain from engaging you as there must be some semblance of sanity.
Liberty24 is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:23 AM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,565
Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i also think some people have a hard time discerning between wants or needs in firearms. i have no need for the AR i own, but because i am an American, i don't have to justify my wants in firearms to anyone. i can own one, simply because i want to own one.
Do us all a favor and get involved with NRA public relations. You have a very appealing way of stating the truth. WE need that.
chloeshooter is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7,840
Liked 3672 Times on 2523 Posts
Likes Given: 1810

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty24 View Post
The AK 47 was not meant "wound". It was meant to kill. Brush up on your history. The Russians and Chinese have never meant to "wound". Your description of the "modern battle rifle" pertains to the origin of the 5.56/.223 and NOT 7.62X39. Each statement you make is becoming more silly.

If you cant drop an 80lb deer with a 7.62X39 it is because you cant hit the deer. I would recommend brushing up on your accuracy. You may be the very first person that I have ever heard in my entire life make such a ridiculous statement. I may have to refrain from engaging you as there must be some semblance of sanity.
I was gonna say... No firearm is designed with the purpose to wound and get two medics involved. Not now, not in history. And by whom, the Russians? With a straight face?
Mercator is offline  
Liberty24 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:50 AM   #49
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Do us all a favor and get involved with NRA public relations. You have a very appealing way of stating the truth. WE need that.
i tried, but they didn't think i'm as handsome as Tom Selleck!

personally, i think i'm much better looking!
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 381
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytogo View Post
I hope that this is non true.The 70% of KC revenue comes from exports.But no problem:KC must not export its products to the USA. but it can still export to another country close to the USA and then import them to the USA.The price will increase(Double import taxes), but it will still be possible to import Russian made AKs to the USA.
Mark_Van_Goth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes