AK 47 styles AK talk! building ect...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK 47 styles AK talk! building ect...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default AK 47 styles AK talk! building ect...

Looking to get my first AK I'm actually looking to build one I'm very inexperienced in AK style rifles. I've built a few ar style rifles and understand that they are more ez... I've decided a milled receiver probably nodak ...

are milled guns ezer to build?

I really like underfolders or
I would like to run a foldable receiver extension ar style with a magpul stock

I found a parts kit for 225$
(no barrel)
I pretty sure a nodak won't be more then 130$
Barrel less then 200$(more like 125$ but just Incase I break some parts)

600$ AK not bad(round up random broken parts here to)

will need a press I believe bit more tools
Press 60$
Random tools 100$

figure the build will be around 760$

Good part I won't have to fork it all out at once and I take pride in things I build. Plus I'm sure after this I will be well informed about aks and have just that much more experience in guns and garage smithing

Think its worth it? Good couple months project keep me busy

Post your AK builds

mi_ak4774xpu_49.jpg

61h5zftvt6l.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

The second pic is a SKS

Old 04-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
The second pic is a SKS
I lrealize that it was an accident

Old 05-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 526

If you don't already have experience building AK's, I would just buy one unless you just want to do it for the experience.

If you have a machine shop or access to a machine shop, it might be worth it. If not, some of what you could potentially screw up will require tools ordinarily found in a machine shop.

Amateur gunsmithing and AK's generally don't mix well, but to each his own.

I'm very happy with the Arsenal SLR-101S I purchased (before prices got retarded).

Liberty Arms sells, or did sell, a milled AK barreled receiver with a stamped rear receiver tang (presumably for using the much more common stamped AK receiver stocks) and aftermarket AK stock adapters like the one you pictured.

You'll save some money over buying one because prices are still a little high, but if you mess something up you're on your own. If you're just into "rolling your own", might want to invest some time and money in Jim Fuller's AK builder class.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
If you don't already have experience building AK's, I would just buy one unless you just want to do it for the experience.

If you have a machine shop or access to a machine shop, it might be worth it. If not, some of what you could potentially screw up will require tools ordinarily found in a machine shop.

Amateur gunsmithing and AK's generally don't mix well, but to each his own.

I'm very happy with the Arsenal SLR-101S I purchased (before prices got retarded).

Liberty Arms sells, or did sell, a milled AK barreled receiver with a stamped rear receiver tang (presumably for using the much more common stamped AK receiver stocks) and aftermarket AK stock adapters like the one you pictured.

You'll save some money over buying one because prices are still a little high, but if you mess something up you're on your own. If you're just into "rolling your own", might want to invest some time and money in Jim Fuller's AK builder class.
I don't have any experience and want to learn I'm very hand on and like learning new crafts...

Thank you for the advice
I will be purchasing dune shop tools

Have you ever built one?

Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No, because I haven't done the riveting job and heat treatment of the receiver. I let an AK manufacturer do that part after screwing it up (bending the receiver while riveting).

I've installed a gas block and front sight (drilled the barrel), threaded the barrel, installed the trigger components, and installed a polymer stock on a gun that was originally designed for wood of differing dimensions. The stock job took about 6 hours of sanding with sandpaper and a file to get a perfect fit. Being my AK, I was more concerned with the fit and finish than your average manufacturer would be. The riveting job and heat treatment on a stamped receiver is not as simple as some would have you believe. It's very easy to bend the receiver and you do need a jig to do the job properly, not that it's all that difficult or expensive to acquire. After that, you need an enclosure and pyrometer to heat treat the metal. I wasn't willing to drop the coin on that (learned about how AK receivers weren't heat treated until after assembly after I started assembly), so a pre-assembled receiver became the way to go. The gun functioned just fine and all the critical components were straight, but I eventually sold it to fund a better factory-made milled receiver AK.

If you like tinkering with things, and I do within my limitations, then you might find it to be a fun project.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
No, because I haven't done the riveting job and heat treatment of the receiver. I let an AK manufacturer do that part after screwing it up (bending the receiver while riveting).

I've installed a gas block and front sight (drilled the barrel), threaded the barrel, installed the trigger components, and installed a polymer stock on a gun that was originally designed for wood of differing dimensions. The stock job took about 6 hours of sanding with sandpaper and a file to get a perfect fit. Being my AK, I was more concerned with the fit and finish than your average manufacturer would be. The riveting job and heat treatment on a stamped receiver is not as simple as some would have you believe. It's very easy to bend the receiver and you do need a jig to do the job properly, not that it's all that difficult or expensive to acquire. After that, you need an enclosure and pyrometer to heat treat the metal. I wasn't willing to drop the coin on that (learned about how AK receivers weren't heat treated until after assembly after I started assembly), so a pre-assembled receiver became the way to go. The gun functioned just fine and all the critical components were straight, but I eventually sold it to fund a better factory-made milled receiver AK.

If you like tinkering with things, and I do within my limitations, then you might find it to be a fun project.
Thanks for the info I'm looking to use a milled lower

The parts kit requires milled
How does that change things?

Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm not an expert in this, but off the top of my head:

D = Different

S = Same

X = Stamped Only

Milled Parts:
Receiver (D)

Gas Block (D)*1

Fire Control Set (S)*2

Stock Set (D)*3

Bolt and Carrier (D)*4

Stamped Parts:
Receiver (D)

Rivet Kit (X)

Front Trunnion (X)

Rear Trunnion (X)

Gas Block (D)*1

Fire Control Set (S)*2

Stock Set (D)*3

Bolt and Carrier (D)*4

Notes:

*1 - The gas block is a part that is variant among differing manufacturers, but any 7.62 gas block should work provided you have an appropriate gas tube.

*2 - The fire control parts set, due to the number of US and foreign manufacturers, may include slightly variant parts but all should function interchangeably, apart from specialized fire control parts like two stage triggers or adjustable triggers.

*3 - The variation of receiver patterns now available, some stamped stock parts may fit a milled receiver but in most instances this will not be the case.

*4 - The bolt and carrier may differ between manufacturers, but if you purchase a bolt and carrier from the same manufacturer for a 7.62 AK you shouldn't have any problems. Obviously you'll have to have a press (assuming your barrel is press-fit as is most common vs threaded), the bolt and carrier assembly, and gauges to headspace the barrel properly.

The rest of the parts like the gas tube, front sight block, rear sight, and barrel are all variant between differing manufacturers but most should be interchangeable. With a little machine work, most of the parts could be made to fit if they were from differing manufacturers and had minor dimensional variances. That said, it's generally best to purchase a parts kit with parts for the type of milled or stamped AK you're trying to build, a barrel, and a receiver for the type of AK you're trying to build.

BTW, what type of parts kit do you have (country of origin, model of rifle)?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I'm not an expert in this, but off the top of my head:

D = Different

S = Same

X = Stamped Only

Milled Parts:
Receiver (D)

Gas Block (D)*1

Fire Control Set (S)*2

Stock Set (D)*3

Bolt and Carrier (D)*4

Stamped Parts:
Receiver (D)

Rivet Kit (X)

Front Trunnion (X)

Rear Trunnion (X)

Gas Block (D)*1

Fire Control Set (S)*2

Stock Set (D)*3

Bolt and Carrier (D)*4

Notes:

*1 - The gas block is a part that is variant among differing manufacturers, but any 7.62 gas block should work provided you have an appropriate gas tube.

*2 - The fire control parts set, due to the number of US and foreign manufacturers, may include slightly variant parts but all should function interchangeably, apart from specialized fire control parts like two stage triggers or adjustable triggers.

*3 - The variation of receiver patterns now available, some stamped stock parts may fit a milled receiver but in most instances this will not be the case.

*4 - The bolt and carrier may differ between manufacturers, but if you purchase a bolt and carrier from the same manufacturer for a 7.62 AK you shouldn't have any problems. Obviously you'll have to have a press (assuming your barrel is press-fit as is most common vs threaded), the bolt and carrier assembly, and gauges to headspace the barrel properly.

The rest of the parts like the gas tube, front sight block, rear sight, and barrel are all variant between differing manufacturers but most should be interchangeable. With a little machine work, most of the parts could be made to fit if they were from differing manufacturers and had minor dimensional variances. That said, it's generally best to purchase a parts kit with parts for the type of milled or stamped AK you're trying to build, a barrel, and a receiver for the type of AK you're trying to build.

BTW, what type of parts kit do you have (country of origin, model of rifle)?
Man very informative
Its a Bulgarian underfolder with no barrel I think I was nodak had the correct lower
It is a milled required kit

Hopefully I'll get my check this weekend and order it

Old 05-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #10

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by combateffective4 View Post
Man very informative
Its a Bulgarian underfolder with no barrel I think I was nodak had the correct lower
It is a milled required kit

Hopefully I'll get my check this weekend and order it
When did nodak start carrying milled receivers?
Last time I checked they only had stamped receivers.
I think that is why milled kits are so cheap, hard to find receivers.
If your kit has the cut receivers stubs you may be able to get sides of them milled off to make front & rear trunnions.
Otherwise you may have a parts kit that can't be built.

There is an stamped underfolder kit at Gun Things.
http://www.gunthings.com/galil.htm

This is the only place that I know of that makes milled receivers & he is out of stock on a lot of his receivers.
http://www.cncwarrior.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1477
I build on mostly stamped receivers myself.
What is your kit AK47 7.62 or AK74 5.45?

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Last edited by 7.62 Man; 05-03-2013 at 11:55 PM.