ak 47 jamming
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > ak 47 jamming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ak 47 jamming

I bought an AK47 a month ago and i bought 100 SP rounds. It jammed almost every other round. i went back to the store i bought it from and he said some guns don't like the SP bullets. he suggested FMJ, so i bought 60 rounds and it still jammed but only 2-4 times a mag. does anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. Clean and oil and try a different ammo. Did you buy the steel case stuff?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #3

Liked 2114 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Unpossible!!!! AKs run everything even when filled with sand mud and blood. I read it on the internet so it has to be true.

Seriusly now. It is true that some AKs don't like SP ammo. What model of AK do you have and what FMJ ammo are you running? Did you clean it and lube it before shooting? What kind of jamms were you having, FTE, FTF, double feeds? What mags are you running?

Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #4

Its an FTF problem. I did buy steel casings. Im not sure of the model and im using the mag that came with the gun from the store. i did clean and oil it before shooting.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #5

OK, it's a fail to feed. Are the bullets jamming into the edge of the chamber opening? Are they hitting at the top or the bottom.

Steel cased ammo is what these things should live on, because they were designed for it. Unfortunately it isn't all created the same. Tula, is probably at teh bottom of the heap for power and accuracy. Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Barnaul, Monarch, Herters, or any of the names given to the stuff made in the Barnaul or Ulyanovsk plants tends to work better than the stuff made in the Tula factory in my experience.

The manufacturer could be important. If this is a Romanian WASR by Century it could be that it doesn't have the small feed ramp that goes between the mag and the chamber. Most AKs will run without it but sometimes they can be more ammo and mag sensitive because the feed angle has to be just right.

This gets us into the mag. There are a lot of cheap plastic mags out there and there are good plastic mags out there, and then there are the surplus metal mags. I prefer East German metal mags or even Romanian or Hungarian mags. These will have a rib on the back of the mag that adds to the rigidity of the mag. When you learn how to do fast mag changes with an AK the rib can help a bit too. This added rigidity seems to keep the mag from deforming and provides better and more consistent alignment. For Polymer mags, the Bulgarian ones are pretty nice. Some WASR rifles may not have been recut exactly right to get the best mag alignment for reliable feeding either. If it is a WASR and continues to jam it may be worth a call to Century and see if they can fix or replace it.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #6

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I have a Maadi imported by Century arms. When I bought it, I also got a case of white box generic Russian HP ammo. I get at least one FTF in each mag. The nose of the bullet gets caught on the bottom of the chamber. I cannot see any feed ramps, just about 1" or so of the chamber part of the barrel sticks out. I've never tried any other ammo in it though. It fails like this using any of my 5 magazines. Usually, pulling back on the charging handle and releasing it will correctly chamber the round. Maybe it isn't pushing the bolt back far enough.
I'm going to get some FMJ ammo soon and test that out. I'd like it to work well and just put a bunch of American made parts on it so I could put on a folding stock. Maybe the Century imported Maadi's are junk and I should just sell it and modify a saiga 74 type which is the caliber I'd like to have.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #7

the tip of the bullet jams at the top of the opening and the bolt hits the side of the case. now that you say something i think i do remember the tag saying romanian. and i do the metal mags with the ridge on the back. im about to take it back to him and either get a new one or look for some different. when i bought it the tag said it was unfired.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #8

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

I had the same problem when I got mine this summer, I found out the issue was a weak mag spring

Old 09-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #9

Yes I would possibly try a different mag. Some of the Century built WASRs may have some problems with the mag wells, because they are basically just milled out from a smaller mag well.

AKs don;t have a traditional feed ramp, but there is a plate that kind of helps bridge teh gap between the front of the mag and the chamber. If your rounds are hitting the top of teh chamber I would susspect the mag has problewms with the feed lips, or the mag well or mag release are not holding the mag at the correct angle relative to the chamber.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #10

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

I'm going to do the "professor obvious" thing here.

Most instructions which come with new guns say

"clean the gun thoroughly before using".

On American guns, this is mostly a precaution,

and it can be ignored.

OTOH, you buy a Combloc Milsurp, and no

cleaning warning is included, but the bolt,

chamber barrel, gas port, and receiver are

many times literally jammed with Cosmoline.

Field strip it, and carefully clean it, paying

special attention to the chamber, and the hole in the barrel

which leads to the gas system.

Oh, you did.

Never mind...