Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   The AK-47: 'The Gun' That Changed The Battlefield (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ak-47-gun-changed-battlefield-32957/)

ARnoob 10-12-2010 06:00 PM

The AK-47: 'The Gun' That Changed The Battlefield

The AK-47: 'The Gun' That Changed The Battlefield : NPR

I'm not a big NPR fan, but this interview was awesome!

"The AK-47 was designed after World War II by the Soviets, who issued the guns to the Communist army's conscripted forces. In the past few decades, the AK-47 has become one of the weapons of choice for many groups and one of the most commonly smuggled weapons in the world."

Dillinger 10-12-2010 06:11 PM

Well, I was going to ask what it changed the battlefield from. :confused:

Quote:

The other thing it tells you ... is that, in some ways, it's a mediocre weapon. It's not especially accurate and it's used often by people who are often not especially skilled. I'm one of them, but there's many, many more [people] who have been ambushed by Kalashnikovs and not been shot. Because they miss you. And there's reasons they miss you that are rooted in the weapon's own design and also in the training of the people that carry them."
"The weapon is designed with a relatively short barrel and it's designed with a relatively loose fit of its parts and it's got a heavy operating system and it shoots a medium-powered ammunition. At longer ranges, it's actually not incredibly effective. At shorter ranges, it's a terrible weapon. But at longer ranges which is pretty common in the arid regions such as Afghanistan and Iraq where there's not a lot of vegetation they often miss."
I was expecting another fluff piece riddled with inaccurate reporting and claims widely exaggerated to sell. Then I read this part and felt that was a pretty good description of the weapon and who uses it.

While I am not going to be running out to purchase the book, it would appear this "reporter" has more than the casual knowledge on the subject and has some hands on with it's uses. *yes, I read the part about him being a former Marine*

There is no question that old tank mechanic took a good idea and made it a monster. The gun runs no matter what abuse you give to it, and in a generous part of the world that is the measure of a "good" gun.

JD

diggsbakes 10-13-2010 01:14 AM

Thanks, for the good read. And I may purchase the book!

There is just something about the AK that makes it effective. You can't print on paper with it, but you can get to know an AK. . . and once you do things change. You gain the ability to "hit stuff". It's hard to explain, but I'm comfortable with mine and it will always be a major component of my SHTF plans(s). :)

Flint Rock 10-13-2010 01:46 AM

Compared to the build quality of most Western battle/assult weapons, well the AK comes up lacking in most all areas. What keeps the AK in the fight (pun intended) is that it is cheap. Ammo is cheap. Parts are cheap. If you take the cheap out, then they don't sell. My AK was $399.99 with 2 mags, a cleaning kit, and a leather strap. An AR setup like that would have been at least $800. A SOCOM, $1,800. An ACR, p-l-e-a-s-e!

diggsbakes 10-13-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint Rock (Post 367437)
If you take the cheap out, then they don't sell. My AK was $399.99 with 2 mags, a cleaning kit, and a leather strap. An AR setup like that would have been at least $800. A SOCOM, $1,800. An ACR, p-l-e-a-s-e!

Something tells me that countless countries would still use the AK, even if they could get a 2 mag set up for under $400. :rolleyes:

Since you have an AK, do yourself a favor and learn about it. There are many advantages the AK has when compared to any other rifle of its class.

Learning is Fun!

orangello 10-13-2010 04:46 AM

Good Thread!

My only major issues with the semi-auto AK's i've used were the weight of the rifle and the length of the rifle. It feels too light and too short, but i've never had one fail to fire (and that is the civie models). Neither of those issues would matter on the battlefield, unless you ran out of ammo.

zhuk 10-13-2010 06:33 AM

Now how could I ignore this outstanding thread :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 367195)
There is no question that old tank mechanic took a good idea and made it a monster. The gun runs no matter what abuse you give to it, and in a generous part of the world that is the measure of a "good" gun.

JD

The 'blunt peasant instrument' never meant to be anything more than that - a no-nonsense pretty nigh indestructable weapon able to be utilised by the relatively unsophisticated sons of Mother Russia (and their assorted satellites/sympathisers). Gotta love it!

That said, nothing can dissuade me from my long-standing lust from afar...even though I cant shoot one :rolleyes:

"To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex."

- Mikhail Kalashnikov

Flint Rock 10-13-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggsbakes (Post 367493)
Since you have an AK, do yourself a favor and learn about it.

Learning is Fun!

You either have a high opinion of your knowledge level or a low opinion of mine. That seems strange when you consider that we have no prior knowledge of each other. Suffice it to say that some time ago I did myself a favor and learned about the AK. I admit that I did not buy one until, well I guess it was a couple months ago. I bought it because it was cheap. The ammo is cheap. Parts are cheap. Cheap trigger time, I like that.
An AK will do a nice job within its design parameters, but the closer the better. The AK is a solid running weapon that doesn't need constant attention, but you should still clean it. I know all that, and more. At the root though is the simple fact that the AK is cheap. That's the biggest appeal of an AK.

orangello 10-13-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint Rock (Post 367606)
...doesn't need constant attention, but you should still clean it. ... At the root though is the simple fact that the AK is cheap.

I think you just described my ideal date. :D

diggsbakes 10-14-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint Rock (Post 367606)
You either have a high opinion of your knowledge level or a low opinion of mine. At the root though is the simple fact that the AK is cheap. That's the biggest appeal of an AK.

No offense intended at all my friend. . . I simply meant that possibly once you put to use all that wonderful, beloved "cheapness" that so turns you onto the AK-47, you might just discover just how to unleash the amazing (almost magical) effectiveness as well as find appreciation for the mechanical and historical beauty that the AK-47 holds, then you may even be grateful that you live in a time and place that you can enjoy such beauty very economically.

But if you're satisfied (and it seems you are) with just buying "cheap" things, keep on going! Many of us put a little extra dough into several small, but useful modifications that get our AKs to look and shoot more like less "cheap" guns. It doesn't make our rifles as "cheap" as yours, but to us. . . that's OK. :)