Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK 47:Do people really know what rifle are they taking about???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Nice gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
Lots of people would call this a luger they would be wrong, but hey so what I would still know what the gun looked like as most would. But if I called it my Erma La many would not picture it as such.
Hm...frankly speaking, I would call it luger(Unfortunately, I have shot a Luger P08 only a couple of times in my life and I ''didn't do the homework''(I didn't learn more about it) ).

Thank to you, I going to learn more about it.As I already said, I shot it only a couple of times, but I liked it(I has an interesting working mechanism).

Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #62

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
If I were talking about the AK pattern of rifle as a whole I would say AK, if I were talking about an AK pattern rifle in 7.62x39mm I would say AK-47, if I were talking about a specific AK-47 I would say (for example) an Arsenal SLR-107UR, if that bothers you I'm sorry.
It doesn't bother me.It is not a problem to me, and there is nothing you should be sorry for till you express your opinion and beliefs.I'm just trying to tell you that this kind of things can be misleading(That's why an expert would never call ''AK 47'' every rifle which is AK pattern and is in 7.62).
Even Kalashnikov turned angry during an interview when a journalist called his brand new AK 103 ''AK 47''(It was in 1993, and Kalashnikov turned angry because of the journalist's ignorance and absence of preparation regarding the point/topic of the conversation).

Do you want to be taken seriously(I mean in any environment)?
Use the proper synthax.You know the model?Then use it.You know the caliber but not the model?Then say AK 7.62x39.

Honestly:When I was just a begginer, I was used to call AK 47 all of them.Then, on the field, I turned expert because I figured out what's a difference between each other and what rifle lets you ''get the job done''.
AK 47 was just the beginning,this family of rifles has much more to offer.

Anyway...Thanks for your comments and for presenting your beliefs.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #63

Liked 1121 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 276

If it is ok to call the AK an AK-47, is it also ok to call the device that feeds it a clip?

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #64
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Somebody take an axe to this thread!!!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #65
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
If it is ok to call the AK an AK-47, is it also ok to call the device that feeds it a clip?
No it is not, there are a few things you may not say:
You may not call a magazine a clip
A semi-automatic rifle an assault weapon
A select-fire rifle an assault rifle
A rifle with a scope a sniper
Or a magazine designed for a firearm high capacity no matter what capacity

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #66

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA

No it is not, there are a few things you may not say:
You may not call a magazine a clip
A semi-automatic rifle an assault weapon
A select-fire rifle an assault rifle
A rifle with a scope a sniper
Or a magazine designed for a firearm high capacity no matter what capacity
A-bleepin-MEN!!!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #67

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1

A-bleepin-MEN!!!
The thing with so called actual "assault rifles" as in rifles meant to fight wars with, wouldn't they have a different stigma to them if they were called "defense rifles"? Theres two parts of fighting wars ... offense and defense. I've seen an M4 used as a defensive weapon more often than an offensive weapon.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #68

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

And I quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeuropeangoth View Post

Well...that's good for you.
It is very distrubing to me.For many reasons.
The most important is the act of sharing Ignorance:If you don't know anything about the rifle, then talk about something else

Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #69
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco

The thing with so called actual "assault rifles" as in rifles meant to fight wars with, wouldn't they have a different stigma to them if they were called "defense rifles"? Theres two parts of fighting wars ... offense and defense. I've seen an M4 used as a defensive weapon more often than an offensive weapon.
They are only "assault rifles" if they are, at the time in which they are being described as such, are owned and are being used by the military and are a select fire rifle that fires an intermediate cartridge. But if that same rifle were then sold or given to a civilian (I am ignoring the existence of the hughs amendment for this hypothetical scenario) it would just be a select fire rifle, and so it is never really an "assault rifle" the military just calls it that, there is no real reason for it just like they call anything with a scope a sniper.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 12-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #70
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1704 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 5195

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Somebody take an axe to this thread!!!
I think more properly, we need to take an AKs (pronounced Axe) to this thread. Since we all understand what we are referring to, we should all be happy. I know what I mean, you know what you mean.

So what if we don't agree on what it means. It's not like some commie gun designer is going to chase us down and learn-us-good. For gawd's sake, he was a commie. (I guess he's still a commie).

I have an axe, sometimes referred to as an ax, but also known as that-wood-chopping-thing. It might even be called a hatchet. I don't care what you call it.

I don't think the Tin Woodsman from the Wizard of Oz has the heart to tell us we are wrong.

An axe can be used for splitting wood, just as ax can be used for splitting. But I don't find any splitting hairs. So why not let AKs be AKs

So i aks ya! can we just all get along and bury the AKs.

By the way, I really like this AKs (pronounced Axe)

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
TDS92A Likes This