Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK 47:Do people really know what rifle are they taking about???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Well....then call it simply AK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
I know this is technically wrong but I consider an AK-47 any ak pattern rifle chambered in 7.62x39 mm.
I suggest to use the expression ''AK'' not ''AK 47'', if you're not sure about the rifle you're talking about.If you don't, it can be pretty misleading.

Example given:
Which AK pattern rifles are chambered in 7,62x39(I will take in consideration only the russian one(The most known), just to make you understand what I'm talking about)?
-AK 47
-AKM
-AK 103
-AK 104
-AK 12

If any of them is chambered in 7,62x39 and it should be called ''AK 47'', then...how would you tell or explain what a AKM/AK 103/AK 104/AK 12 is?
E.g.
''An AK 103 is an AK 47''.Reaction:What is this supposed to mean?Is it an AK 47 or an AK 103?!What's the difference between them?!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #52

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
Ummm... possibly. I believe that the AK-74, which is similar to the '47 but is chambered fo rthe 5.45mm.
The AK 74 is not similar to the AK 47.
The AK 74 is a indirect derivative of the AKM, which is an improved version of the the AK 47.

Other info:
AK 47:1949-1959, chambered in 7,62x39.If was more a prototype than a real service rifle.
AKM:1959-present, chambered in 7,62x39.Born as service rifle, it has been widely substituted by the AK 74.
AK 74:1978-1991, chambered in 5,45x39.The is most produced AK rifle.It has been produced till 1991, when its production was stopped in favore of the AK 74 M, which is a modernized version of the AK 74 rifle(Polymer forniture, etc).

Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #53

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default And there's a reason to do so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
It was my understanding that the Russians never referred to the rifle as an AK-47, but only an AK.
Yes, it is correct.Russians usually don't say AK 47, they say only ''Avtomat''(The automatic) or ''Avtomat Kalashnikova''(Kalashnikov's automatic).Only if you make the question ''What model?'', they will tell you the exact model they're talking about(E.g. AK 74, AK 103).

Old 12-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #54

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 5,56 Kalashnikov:Possible, but it is not an AK 47.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenut58 View Post
I recently met a woman who brought a ak 74 to my home wanting me to show her how to tear it down. I havent ever messed with a ak and havent messed with a ar since the army I left in 1979. Having zero interest in either rifles I had to go to you tube to watch a vid on how to tear it down. I noticed right off the ak she brought was stamped 5.56.
She had told me before bring it over to my house she had a ar.Going on you tube i figured out how to tear it down and discovered its a pretty simple desighn. But after she left i decided to see what the 5.56 was all about. I never had heard of a ak chambered for 5.56. I wish I had looked at the rifle and seen if it was stamped ak-47 before I surfed up imfo on it. But best I could come with is it is a ak 74.I believe it was made in romania.
Not wanting to go digging to deep into a rilfe that has very little to no interest in past my curiosity of the caliber it was chambered in does show what the point of this thread is. I surfed enough to see various changes in the ak rifles and the evolution branching out from the originals.
But to a layman such as my self the rifle when I looked at it was a ak-47. If a person was interested in buying a ak version i can see some home serious surfing and reading is in order to make a educated decision on what version to buy.
This also shows me the originator of this thread has a point.
The only AKs manufactured in 5,56x45 are the AK 101 and AK 102.They have been design mainly for export(Btwid you know thaT the 70% of the AK rifles produced in Russia(By Izhmash) are now exported and sold in the USA?).
Definitively, it is not an AK 47.The AK 47 chambered in 7,62x39 an the materials are different.Even the design is different.If you post a picture, I'll be able to tell you in a minute what rifle we are talking about.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #55

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default ...So....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyx28 View Post
Not sure why it bothers people...who cares, personally I'm not gonna lose sleep if someone says ak-47 instead of akm lol. Op, really you get that bent out of shape over it?
Well...that's good for you.
It is very distrubing to me.For many reasons.
The most important is the act of sharing Ignorance:If you don't know anything about the rifle, then talk about something else(There are already many ignorants in this world, you don't need to join them and/or to increase their number )

Old 12-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #56

Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

Please make it stop

Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #57

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I find it interesting that this disturbs you. You know, to the point that you feel like people who call an ak an ak shouldn't be allowed to talk about an ak. I find your comments the opposite of disturbing but hilarious. Go watch the news and see everything going on in the world, that's disturbing.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #58

Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

Lots of people would call this a luger they would be wrong, but hey so what I would still know what the gun looked like as most would. But if I called it my Erma La many would not picture it as such.

image-2720380105.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #59
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

If I were talking about the AK pattern of rifle as a whole I would say AK, if I were talking about an AK pattern rifle in 7.62x39mm I would say AK-47, if I were talking about a specific AK-47 I would say (for example) an Arsenal SLR-107UR, if that bothers you I'm sorry.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Last edited by FullautoUSA; 12-02-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #60

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyx28 View Post
I find it interesting that this disturbs you. You know, to the point that you feel like people who call an ak an ak shouldn't be allowed to talk about an ak. I find your comments the opposite of disturbing but hilarious. Go watch the news and see everything going on in the world, that's disturbing.
I agree with you.It's distrubing what happens in the world and it is far more important than how someone calls a rifle.I know it well.But now we are not talking about that, currently we are talking about the AK family.Not the worldwide situation.

BTW:Can you, please, find a post where I wrote/said that people should not be allowed to talk about AKs?..It has never happened.

On the other hand:
-If you're a newbie, it is not good for you if you haven't anybody who can teach you
-If you're an enthusiast, you want to know more and to get the most correct pieces of information.Again: it is not good for you if you haven't anybody who can teach you.
-If you're an expert, you just cannot stand people who talk **** about the weapon(s) you admire and respect.Btw:Even Kalashnikov is irritated about people who doesn't know anything about his rifle, the rifle he has dedicated his life to.

Anyway....Thanks for your comments.Different POVs are always welcome.