Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK 47:Do people really know what rifle are they taking about???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1
There is a pic floatin around the interwebz that almost exactly corresponds to this...
Oh wait, I happened to have it on my iPhone, here it is:
It's called "journalist's guide to firearms identification"

Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #22

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA

Magwell you mean
I think he's just picking on you dude. Still, I'm laughing my ass off!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #23
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7248

This would be why I don't own an "AK" or "AR" clone. I would spend the majority of my free time banging my head agaist a brick wall.

Yes, I see and notice the differences between the models, but most people don't. I have no plans of ever owning either one, but I must applaude your desire to educate the masses. I learned something new from your post, and I thank you for that.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Nice rifle.Personally, I have tried to shoot an SKS Simonov(I mean, Original-Russian-made) only a couple of times.I prefer a zastava m59 to it...You should try it at least once, if you haven't yet.
You would fall in love with it!!!!They say it is a little more precise and reliable, since the Serbs had the opportunity to learn some things from the Russian and to improve the SKS(You can see these improvements in the M59).
Anyway....nice gun!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #25

Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, mine says MAK90 on it. Glad I dont have one of those evil AK-47's!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default That's what I0m talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
My pre-ban Mitchell Arms that I've had since 1988 is stamped both AK47 and RPK47. This can be seriously confusing for someone my age when choosing the correct name. I'd hate to go against what the mfg stamped on it.

I totally agree with you!!!Even the gun major importers and gun resellers use the wrong name/definition/word to define what they're selling.
I think that it is important for the buyer to know what his is going to buy(especially if you've never purchased an AK).

Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Shop talk?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
I've got an AKM Romanian 1967 WASR 10/63. It is commonly referred to as an AK 47 because it's easier for others to conceive mentally, and an AKM is an added modification to the original AK 47, which makes the rifle easier to handle. It is as if the same product went through a slight process commonly recognized as 'New & Improved.' It's still an AK 47 that shoots the same 7.62x39. To make the distinction between the two is 'shop talk;' to make the distinction otherwise in a pedantic manner is 'splitting hairs.'
I cannot agree with you.Even if quite similar to each other, every AK family rifle has something different from the other.

A Zastava M70 is not a AKM Romanian 1967 WASR 10/63
An IMI GALIL is not an African R4/R6

This rifles are not built in the same way.They don't perform in the same way.
The conclusion can be only one:They aren't the same thing!

I you want to buy something, I would be better for you if you know what you're paying for....Is it so?

The proper way to identify a weapon is:

Standard identification
-Complete model of the weapon(e.g. Zastava M70 AB2)
-Manufacturer(e.g.Zastava Arms)
-Place of Origin(e.g. Serbia...this is particolary important if you're a collector)
-Caliber
-Visible charateristics(e.g. the M70 has 3 cooling holes on the handguards and the the sights on the gas tube(for grenades and other projectiles)

there are a ''couple'' more things to check...but I'm not going to write them down...

Call me ''pedantic'', but I used these rifles on the field...and I have to make sure that everything works as espected and to get the maximum reachable results.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #28

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Call them what you choose, mine's a WASR 10/63 and I love it ! Highly modified to my liking but still only auto loading, one shot per trigger pull, as I doubt that I crave Federal Prison nor hefty fines and I could ill afford full auto ammo use even if it were legal !

So to me it is my AK47 just like my Bushmaster AR15 is an AR15......

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 11-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default ...and you're right....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
In the US it has just become a matter of convenience to refer to guns in this class as "AK 47s" or "AK 47 clones" because of all the variations.

In early production there were different "Types" as well, since the earliest sheet metal receivers proved to be weak and they produced milled receivers for a while until they came out with the AKM with its improved stamped sheet metal receiver.

Since the majority if Avtomat Kalashnikova inspired rifles in the US are semi auto only I usually call them AK clones.
Technically, I would rather say simply ''AK'' if I'm not sure about the model.If you recognize the model, then use it:e.g Zastava M70, not Yugo AK47 or similar.The model name is always the best choice.If you're buying, you know what you're paying for; if you selling, you give the buyer the possibility to know what is he paying for.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Thanks... Now I actually want a AK-47.. I like the one in the first pic....

Can you get a "real" Russian AK-47 thats converted to semi-auto?
Well...you're not the only one who wants it.
It's REALLY hard to get it.Even if it has been produced in relativelly high numbers it has been issued mainly to the Russian Army(for testing).Some of them have been destroyed(to recycle the materials for newer rifles), some others have been lost or destroyed in action, etc.

I personally know only one guy who has an original AK 47
He has paid a lot of money for it and he's too ''jealous'' to sell it!!!SOAB

Last edited by theeuropeangoth; 11-28-2012 at 06:04 PM.