Advice ? Wasr 10/63 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Advice ? Wasr 10/63

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5679 Times on 2966 Posts
Likes Given: 376

because the sights arent centered doesnt mean its canted...

bore sight it first.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Town_Dalton

I'm not really sure. Honestly, I wouldn't know a canted from a not canted. I just looked at my sight, realized it was crooked and started seeing on the forums that wasr's are famous for canted sights. I took it back to cableas they promised they'd have it fixed by the time I get there after work.
Let us know how they fix it. It honestly doesn't look too horrible, but worth getting checked out. I would get a sandbag and take it straight to the "range" for testing.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #13

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Let us know how they fix it. It honestly doesn't look too horrible, but worth getting checked out. I would get a sandbag and take it straight to the "range" for testing.
Ok sorry for the wait got kinda busy, well they called me and the gentlemen from cableas told me I had to go buy a sight adjustment tool and "fix it myself" and that it's "common". That didn't sit we'll with me so asked to speak to the firearms manager. He told me to bring it in and they'll ship it to century and ensure it gets fixed. I appreciate the patience I am trying to learn as much as possible about all Types of firearms but I'm pretty much the only one that's really interested in my family. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have one but I have a Yugo70 buy ibe heard good amd bad things about wasr's .......just make sure to inspect it before buying

Old 12-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #15

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Just to be clear, did you ever fire it and test for zero? Or bore sight it? I wouldn't ship it back before zeroing it myself.

The Cabelas guy is right, this is common with the WASR. I had to play with mine to zero and the sight is now adjusted about like yours. Sure it would be nice for mechanical zero to also be POA/POI zero but we are talking ultracheap AK here. These used to be $275 guns. I paid about $300 anyway about six years ago and was happy Century offered so much gun for the money so a few warts were acceptable. Now if this had been an Arsenal there'd be reason to complain.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-04-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #16

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I dont think your talking about canted sights , the back sight is stationary so the front has to move to make it adjustable . its not uncommon for the front pin to be to one side or the other , Mine are actually canted a little bit but nothing like this picture , it worked out that mine sit in the center because of the canted FSP .

misaligned.jpg  

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 12-04-2013 at 09:00 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #17

Liked 2196 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I dont hink your talking about canted sights , the back sight is stationary so the front has to move to make it adjustable . its not uncommon for the front pin to be to one side or the other , Mine are actually canted a little bit but nothing like this picture , it worked out that mine sit in the center because of the canted FSP .
This was what I was thinking. What I see in the OPs picture is a front sight post that is drifted over to teh left of the gun. That is not always an indication that the front sight base is actually canted. There is an ammount of adjustability to the front sight to be drifted from side to side to actually sight in the rifle. If it can be adjusted to hit at point of aim when teh sights are alighned, then it is considered in spec. If it is adjusted to the maximum ammount of travel and still is hitting of to the left. then the sight base may need to be reinstalled. I will agree tht is it not pretty, and everyone would like their front sight post to be in the middle of the wings of the sight base, but the reality of the AK is that they're made for function over form.

It sounds like you already have a plan from the manager at Cabella's to get the issue taken care of. IfCentury can get things straightened out for you and have you on target, then it is nice. If the gun gets sent back with a sight in target thta is on target and the sight is still drifted left, then I'd leave it alone and shott the snot out of the rifle. My first WASR had a taget with it that had three shots on it that were an inche to the right of the aiming point on the target and my front sight was a bit left of center. I bought the adjustment tool and pushed it over to the right a bit, and it was hitting point of aim. It was still a little off center in relation to the sight wings, bit it hit what I actually aimed at, and I was staisfied with that.

My second WASR has the sights really close to center and it also hits what I aim at, and I never had to touch it. My MISR 90 has teh sight post a bit off to the right, but it hits at point of aim. Not pretty to look at, but mechanically it's on target.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #18

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

This was what I was thinking. What I see in the OPs picture is a front sight post that is drifted over to teh left of the gun. That is not always an indication that the front sight base is actually canted. There is an ammount of adjustability to the front sight to be drifted from side to side to actually sight in the rifle. If it can be adjusted to hit at point of aim when teh sights are alighned, then it is considered in spec. If it is adjusted to the maximum ammount of travel and still is hitting of to the left. then the sight base may need to be reinstalled. I will agree tht is it not pretty, and everyone would like their front sight post to be in the middle of the wings of the sight base, but the reality of the AK is that they're made for function over form.

It sounds like you already have a plan from the manager at Cabella's to get the issue taken care of. IfCentury can get things straightened out for you and have you on target, then it is nice. If the gun gets sent back with a sight in target thta is on target and the sight is still drifted left, then I'd leave it alone and shott the snot out of the rifle. My first WASR had a taget with it that had three shots on it that were an inche to the right of the aiming point on the target and my front sight was a bit left of center. I bought the adjustment tool and pushed it over to the right a bit, and it was hitting point of aim. It was still a little off center in relation to the sight wings, bit it hit what I actually aimed at, and I was staisfied with that.

My second WASR has the sights really close to center and it also hits what I aim at, and I never had to touch it. My MISR 90 has teh sight post a bit off to the right, but it hits at point of aim. Not pretty to look at, but mechanically it's on target.
Sorry everyone for not replying, it's finals week so I've been really busy.long story short cableas sent it off to century for me and I should only be waiting about a week or two for my rifle back. No big deal. I appreciate everyone's advice and I'm happy I had a place to come and ask for opinions !!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #19

Liked 2196 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 478

Cool. Keep us posted when it comes back.