Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Advice ? Wasr 10/63 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/advice-wasr-10-63-a-100580/)

Down_Town_Dalton 11-20-2013 09:11 PM

Advice ? Wasr 10/63

I just left cableas with my new wasr. When I got home I was looking over the rifle and I had been hearing problems with wasr's and their canted sights. Sure enough the sights are canted. This is my first AK so I'm not entirely sure where to take this from here, should I contact cableas or century arms ? Any help is appreciated

orangello 11-20-2013 09:14 PM

Start with Cabelas, you paid them. If it has to go back to Century, it will have to go through an FFL anyway.

It's weird, I've seen a bunch of WASR's, but I've never seen a crooked one.

Can you post us some pics for those who don't understand canted sights?

Down_Town_Dalton 11-20-2013 09:15 PM

Give me 30 minutes and ill post some pics thank for the advice anyways.

Down_Town_Dalton 11-20-2013 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the wait
Attachment 126730

bige91603 11-21-2013 12:28 AM

You can either take it back and wait forever to get it back or gently fix it yourself. It doesn't look to be off by much

kbd512 11-21-2013 01:59 AM

Yeah, that FSB is not that badly canted. I'd take it to a machine shop or gunsmith who (someone with levels and action blocks and a drill press with a vise mounted to the table), punch the pins out, straighten out the FSB, re-drill slightly larger holes, put slightly larger pins in, and call it a day.

Post some pictures of what your barrel and trunnions look like. That's more important than the FSB being off a little. Take the upper and lower hand guards off before you take the photo… Perhaps even the pistol grip so you can put the receiver on a table.

Does your gun have an optics rail? Are you going to use a micro red dot with it anyway?

SSGN_Doc 11-21-2013 02:41 AM

Are you sure the sight is canted or are you talking about the post being driven over to the side? That could be adjustment for the rear sight being off. Have you run a straight edge along the sight base to the front trunion to check the sight base?

The sight drum is adjustable for a certain amount of variation.

Down_Town_Dalton 11-21-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Are you sure the sight is canted or are you talking about the post being driven over to the side? That could be adjustment for the rear sight being off. Have you run a straight edge along the sight base to the front trunion to check the sight base?

The sight drum is adjustable for a certain amount of variation.

I'm not really sure. Honestly, I wouldn't know a canted from a not canted. I just looked at my sight, realized it was crooked and started seeing on the forums that wasr's are famous for canted sights. I took it back to cableas they promised they'd have it fixed by the time I get there after work.

Quentin 11-21-2013 06:41 PM

That's about how my WASR sight is adjusted to get the windage dead on.

I imagine they'll just adjust it to mechanical zero so it looks good but then you may find your POI way to the left after the adjustment. You really should start zeroing the rifle before adjusting the front sight.

nfafan 11-23-2013 06:45 PM

Go here for all Romy AK all the time;

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/model.shtml

Look for the link within discussing "cant".

Also - have Cabela's ship it back to Century for you, as I have had Dunham's do for me several times. No need to ship on your nickel when the store should be doing so on your behalf.

If YOU do decide to ship on your own to Cent, contact Cent for an RMA and ship it on your own via common carrier. These are legal repair shipments under ATF.

When repaired, Cent can legally ship the repaired gun right back to your own front door (assuming you live in a Free America state...). I have also done this. Always a treat to come home and find that UPS has dropped off an AK!