922r as it relates to my MISR - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > 922r as it relates to my MISR

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,633
Liked 1060 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Default

It's so hard to say. It's hard to prove what country manufactured the parts. Usually the US parts are stamped US but not always. And maybe your rifle is exempt from 922r if it was imported before the 1989 law. So many things we don't know. And you're not getting any help from the seller or shop you bought it from?

I'm no lawyer but the odds are no one's going to bother you about this. And it's a nice rifle you'd hate to bubba up. But if the gun doubled at the range, who knows who's looking. Maybe the best bet is to use US made magazines to gain 3 US parts. With your muzzle you may only need two more parts or maybe three. If you bought a Tapco trigger, disconnector and hammer you'd have 3 more US parts and be legal whether the muzzle counts or not. You might want to save the originals just in case for collector value. The trigger group is not that hard to install, BTW.

Anyway, below is a link to more info on the subject: the AK is considered to have 16 major parts and no more than 10 can be foreign made which is how we come up with needing 6 US parts if you have a threaded muzzle. If not threaded (or if a muzzle nut is welded on the threads) then it's 5. My AK did have the muzzle nut and I cut through the weld thus exposing the threads. I put on a US made muzzle device and had 5 other US parts so it is legal (even if I use comblock surplus magazines).


http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek


Last edited by Quentin; 07-17-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Navy,

I think the best place to start right now is with information.

I would suggest talking to a major gun dealer online... Such as Century firearms... Atlanticfirearms... Bud's gunshop or whatever that one was called that a lot of people on these forums like.

Give these people a call explain to them the type of rifle you have and you aren't sure it's legal if they could help you decide what's needed to bring it into compliance.

Assuming your gun shop you bought it from doesn't give you the necessary information.

As far as the muzzle, no there is no threading on it I can tell by the pic.

I posted a comment in your other thread about barrel threads.

I believe no maadi comes with a threaded barrel and they have to be specially machined to obtain a barrel thread.

Basically think of your rifle as a pre-ban semi-collector's rifle that you plan to shoot with. It's a good find, and will take a little bit of work to bring it into legal compliance with 922r.

Specifically I couldn't tell you what but others on these forums are far more knowledgable about it than I am and will be able to make recommendations based on that.

The only reason I'm a little familiar with them is because I was going to get one until I read about the legal issues surrounding them. I wouldn't exactly ignore it either. If you shoot at a range and any DNR agent knows what they are doing they will call you out on it.

__________________

Last edited by FlukeLSX; 07-18-2012 at 12:47 AM.
FlukeLSX is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

DNR is quite anal about AK's in particular for some reason

I was told I had to place an empty shell inside the fire chamber holding open the bolt. This was to be done when leaving the weapon unattended so that DNR can confirm it's in a safe position.

I was also told I cannot use a full 30rd magazine

I was only allowed to load 6 rd's at a time in my 30rd magazine.



Side note: Here in michigan some guy got shot in the head by an AK recently. Gun jam'd and the person who owned the gun was trying to un'jam it and it went off.

The gun was not pointed down range - A mistake that got someone killed.

__________________

Last edited by FlukeLSX; 07-18-2012 at 12:55 AM.
FlukeLSX is offline  
navysully Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alexandria,Virginia
Posts: 23
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeLSX View Post
Navy,

I think the best place to start right now is with information.

I would suggest talking to a major gun dealer online... Such as Century firearms... Atlanticfirearms... Bud's gunshop or whatever that one was called that a lot of people on these forums like.

Give these people a call explain to them the type of rifle you have and you aren't sure it's legal if they could help you decide what's needed to bring it into compliance.

Assuming your gun shop you bought it from doesn't give you the necessary information.

As far as the muzzle, no there is no threading on it I can tell by the pic.

I posted a comment in your other thread about barrel threads.

I believe no maadi comes with a threaded barrel and they have to be specially machined to obtain a barrel thread.

Basically think of your rifle as a pre-ban semi-collector's rifle that you plan to shoot with. It's a good find, and will take a little bit of work to bring it into legal compliance with 922r.

Specifically I couldn't tell you what but others on these forums are far more knowledgable about it than I am and will be able to make recommendations based on that.

The only reason I'm a little familiar with them is because I was going to get one until I read about the legal issues surrounding them. I wouldn't exactly ignore it either. If you shoot at a range and any DNR agent knows what they are doing they will call you out on it.
Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to err on the side of caution and just go ahead and change out 6 parts to make sure I am good. I plan on changing the muzzle break, pistol grip, trigger group, and the new mags count as 3. That should make me good to go. Are all of those good? If not, I can get the piston changed out too. I am going to work with a gun smith here to get this all done (for the trigger and muzzle). Thoughts?
__________________
navysully is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alexandria,Virginia
Posts: 23
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeLSX View Post
DNR is quite anal about AK's in particular for some reason

I was told I had to place an empty shell inside the fire chamber holding open the bolt.

I was also told I cannot use a full 30rd magazine

I was only allowed to load 6 rd's at a time in my 30rd magazine.



Side note: Here in michigan some guy got shot in the head by an AK recently. Gun jam'd and the person who owned the gun was trying to un'jam it and it went off.

The gun was not pointed down range - Mistake that got someone killed.
Even with full 922R compliance am I going to not be allowed to use 30 round mags? Even in VA? How is different than my M4 with 30 rounds???
__________________
navysully is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navysully View Post
Even with full 922R compliance am I going to not be allowed to use 30 round mags? Even in VA? How is different than my M4 with 30 rounds???
You can use the Magazine, but may or may not be able to load 30 rds into it.

This is in Michigan for me

I'm not sure how DNR does it in your state of VA.

You can call DNR in your state and ask them what the rules are regarding AK's at the rifle range. They'll explain it I'm sure. Maybe even check their website.
__________________

Last edited by FlukeLSX; 07-18-2012 at 01:03 AM.
FlukeLSX is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 754
Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Millsurpstuff.com has alot of parts too. If you live close to ohio you get it in no time. Hes good at returning e-mails too I think he has a section on 992r parts

__________________
Josh1158 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone know anything about the MISR S/A? navysully AK & SKS Discussion 5 07-17-2012 01:38 AM
mak 90 922r compliance alexmark The Club House 2 12-26-2009 08:22 PM
A quote that relates to our upcoming political worries... janikphoto Politics, Religion and Controversy 9 02-20-2009 07:06 AM
922r??!! freefall Politics, Religion and Controversy 4 07-22-2008 12:22 PM