7.62X39 FMJ's or HP's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > 7.62X39 FMJ's or HP's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 7.62X39 FMJ's or HP's

All of the Wolf and Brown Bear 7.62X39 ammo I have are FMJ's for plinking. I was wondering if the HP's were best for personal protection or just stick with the FMJ's? What would you use for personal protection.?

Tom :D

Last edited by Tom the roofer; 03-26-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #2

In my handguns i use HP's in my AR and AK i use FMJ. The military use FMJ only. I really dont see and big difference in FMJ or HP in these rifle calibers. If using a 7.62x39 you are not real considered about over pentitration. If using against body armor the FMJ is a better choice. Check the stats of both and try both and choice for yourself, But in my opinion FMJ is a good choice.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #3

Default TO mame or stopp threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the roofer View Post
All of the Wolf and Brown Bear 7.62X39 ammo I have are FMJ's for plinking. I was wondering if the HP's were best for personal protection or just stick with the FMJ's? What would you use for personal protection.?
The FMJ was made to penitrate and not mushroom. (Goes in small comes out small)
The HP goes in small and comes out "Big". "Much more stopping power!!!"

Accuracy first! You can't miss fast enough to win! :D :)

Old 03-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #4

Default FMJ was made NATO to wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperranger93 View Post
In my handguns i use HP's in my AR and AK i use FMJ. The military use FMJ only. I really dont see and big difference in FMJ or HP in these rifle calibers. If using a 7.62x39 you are not real considered about over pentitration. If using against body armor the FMJ is a better choice. Check the stats of both and try both and choice for yourself, But in my opinion FMJ is a good choice.
A good stop requires a soft tip or a hollow point. My friend came back from Iraq and said he would have given any price for some soft points if he woud not get in trouble for it. He shot one guy coming at him, and shooting, from 90 Metters closing to 20 meeters. My friend thought he was missing the target. A head shot stopped him at 20 yards. On examination of the bad guy all other 18 rounds hit chest area. FMJ's are not good stoppers!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntintoo View Post
A good stop requires a soft tip or a hollow point. My friend came back from Iraq and said he would have given any price for some soft points if he woud not get in trouble for it. He shot one guy coming at him, and shooting, from 90 Metters closing to 20 meeters. My friend thought he was missing the target. A head shot stopped him at 20 yards. On examination of the bad guy all other 18 rounds hit chest area. FMJ's are not good stoppers!
FMJs not good stoppers? A FMJ 7.62x51mm will stop a guy dead in his tracks.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntintoo View Post

It all depends on the target being engaged!!! if engaging individuals in plain clothes HP are very affective, If engaging thru ANYTHING that is semi hard FMJ are better to use because it will not lose volicity prior to hitting the intended target(threat). Like i said in my first post, it depends and to try different rounds and pick for yourself. Try some test. Shoot both HP and FMJ thru objects infront of your target (i.e Car doors, concrete blocks, glass) anything that you may encounter in your AO. you will be suprised as to what certain bullets will penetrate.

I also bet that your friend was using a 55gr 5.56 round, They are not good stoppers anyway. The Military should have stayed with the 30/06 and the .45.

Last edited by sniperranger93; 03-26-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 7.62x39fmj Or H.p.?

HELLO ALL

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

Use the right tool, for the right job, if you want penetration and of for cheaper plinking or breaking a AK or SKS IN, FMJ, if you want hits of meat, and soft targets, H.P. been there, done that and I burned the T-shirt! LOL

Old 03-27-2008, 01:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperranger93 View Post
The Military should have stayed with the 30/06.
That would be very impractical. 30/06 has high recoil and the amount of ammo a soldier can carry for it is limited. What the army needs to do is to adopt the 6.8 remington SPC, bigger then 5.56 but smaller then 7.62x39.

Last edited by Ermac; 03-27-2008 at 01:14 AM.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:20 AM   #9

Didn't say they can't stop. Just as others have said, "right tool for the right job." Just not the best for anti-personel. there is a reason Snipers use a Federal Gold Metal Match with a 168 grain Boat-tailed Hollow point. Come to think of it, there are not many problems that cannot be fixed with a 168 gr. BTHP! Old sniper phrase.... a little overboard but I find the humor in it!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac View Post
That would be very impractical. 30/06 has high recoil and the amount of ammo a soldier can carry for it is limited. What the army needs to do is to adopt the 6.8 remington SPC, bigger then 5.56 but smaller then 7.62x39.
I do agree!!! forgot about that round. VERY GOOD CHOICE.