I have been an owner of an SKS Yugo m59/66a1 for about a week ($239). I bought it "new" and power cleaned the cosmaline with brake cleaner, gun scrub, and a tooth brush. I have experienced a few stove pipe occasions with an off-brand 30rnd mag and removed it. I have about 100 rounds with no FTF or FTE in the original fixed mag. It is my first firearm. i have been steadily reading all I can about the SKS. I still have a few questions.
1) My SKS is Etched with " MOD 59/66 A1 C.A.I GEORGIA VT" but as far as I can tell, I have no night sites. My sites do not match pictures I have seen of the night sites. I have read where the Georgia, VT importer misprinted some of the SKS. Any thoughts on this? Does this discrepancy make my SKS less valuable?
2) Ammo. i would like to use some milsurp ammo that is listed as corrosive. It is my understanding that the Yugo lacks the chrome lined barrel and is more likely to be damaged by corrosive ammo. I have no problems breaking it down and cleaning after each use, but i do not want to damage my SKS. Will using corrosive ammo damage the Yugo SKS?
3) Cleaning. I have absolutely no clue what to buy. I have read that a Stainless Steel brush may damage the rifling on the Yugo barrel because of the lake of chrome lining. I've found what appears to be a good, cheap cleaning kit from CTD.com
Again, i do not want to damage the SKS. Any suggestions on good cleaning kit for multiple firearms will be appreciated.
4) Bubba'n her up. It is my understanding that a YUGO needs to have 5 parts USA'd to become compliant once it is modified. I wish to keep the Bayonette and GL. (Mostly because I do not want to bogger her up trying to remove it.) My plans are to buy 5 Tapco items:
TAPCO SKS Operating Rod
TAPCO SKS Gas Piston
TAPCO T6 Collapsable Stock with pistol grip
Tapco SKS Gas Tube
TAPCO 20 round Detachable Mag
Will this configuration produce a compliant SKS?
5) it is my understanding that some legislation recently expired concering "Evil Features." As i read the law, if the firearm does not have a detachable magazine it is not considered an assault rifle. In this case the Granade Launcher, Bayonette, and night sites are of no consiquence. Would it be advisable to purchase a tapco fixed 20rnd mag instead of the removable to avoid compliance issues should Obama reinstate this law?
I apologize for the length of my first post and for my ignorance conerning the SKS.
Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.