5.56/.223 Ak-47 Jam Problems.. Any Solutions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > 5.56/.223 Ak-47 Jam Problems.. Any Solutions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 5.56/.223 Ak-47 Jam Problems.. Any Solutions?

I have a romanarm 5.56mm ak-47 and recently it has been double feeding. Sometimes it will feed the bullet in crooked and jam. The jamming/double feeding seems to primarily occur when I use a .223 ak-47 pmag that i bought. The magazine that came with the rifle very rarely jams. The ammo I use is Tulammo. How can I fix this problem?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

It sounds like you answered your own question. Mag problems are the biggest cause of feeding issues. When I had that sort of problem with my AR, it turned out to be the cheapo UMC ammo I was using and not even the mags or gun.

To be honest I have never even HEARD of such an animal as you"re using here...

You should at least buy a few boxes of several different ammos and see if the problem persists. You only have 2 magazines? You need to rectify that problem immediately if possible.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 03-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 450

If you have a mag well adapter that permits you to use AR magazines in your AK, then I've heard of that animal before (I think there are at least two different manufacturers that make such an adapter), but what's wrong with the magazine that came with the gun?

Can you get your hands on a stock of Weiger magazines or, if that's not an option, a stock of Bulgarian waffle magazines if you don't already have some?

Describe your double feed.

An empty cartridge casing remaining in the weapon as a live cartridge attempts to feed (failure to extract or eject followed by an attempt to feed from the magazine) and a magazine letting go of two or more live cartridges as the bolt attempts to feed from the magazine (generally damaged or out-of-spec magazine feed lips) is not the same thing.

Does your carbine extract without issue?

If your carbine extracts without issue, does the empty cartridge casing eject without issue?

If your carbine extracts and ejects without issue, does your magazine feed more than one live cartridge into the chamber?

Is your PMAG new or has it seen lots of hard use?

Is your magazine well adapter properly installed and does the bolt make contact with the back of the magazine body when you charge your weapon? Basically, is your PMAG magazine body or feed lips worn (or possibly damaged) in any that would indicate an improper alignment or positioning of the magazine, possibly due to an aforementioned magazine well adapter installation issue?

If you want better answers pertaining to your particular issue, you need to post more information about the condition of the weapon, magazine, magazine well adapter, and ammunition.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

A "double feed" is one of the more common misnomerrs in gundom. It is not possible for more than one round to feed at a time. It is actually a failure to extract. I would look more at the ammo. laquer or polymer coated steel is not a good thing in the .223. The relatively straight case body does not seem to cooperate with this construction. Try some quality brass cased ammo.

I would send the mag back, they are guaranteed, right.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I had the same issue with some Korean mags. There were two little prongs on the top front of the magazine that I had to file down.

And the last one we built, the bottom of the receiver had a convex curve to it where the mag release rivets on. It wouldn't let the mag fully seat in and would allow the bolt to ride over the following round.
this was due to the heat treating process and was rectified using a hammer and punch.

Try pushing the mag forward while cycling, then try while pushing it rearward.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2536 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

If the weapon is properly lubricated and cleaned it is a magazine issue.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
A "double feed" is one of the more common misnomerrs in gundom. It is not possible for more than one round to feed at a time. It is actually a failure to extract. I would look more at the ammo. laquer or polymer coated steel is not a good thing in the .223. The relatively straight case body does not seem to cooperate with this construction. Try some quality brass cased ammo.

I would send the mag back, they are guaranteed, right.
So then, what do you call it when more than one round pops out of the mag at a time?

Another vote for bad mag.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
So then, what do you call it when more than one round pops out of the mag at a time?

Another vote for bad mag.
Its impossible for a Kalashnikov to double feed. The only thing similar that could happen would be from a broken ejector rail.

By the time the round makes it up the ramp and into the breech, the bolt face is already past the following round.

OP, can you shoot a pic of the two mags you mentioned side by side viewing down?

"bacon" that is all.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 450

The OP hasn't responded to any questions about the condition of the PMAG, whether or not it works in another gun (AR or other AK with an AK AR mag well adapter), and why he's using a PMAG in an AK, but I'd hazard a guess that PMAG's might not function properly with the AK AR mag well adapter that he must be using.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #10

I only have experience with 7.62, but should be identical mechanically. He said the rounds going in crooked, too me it sounds like the bolt face is over ridding the bullet. If the bolt face is in fact over ridding the bullet, but still pulling the bullet from the magazine, its within tolerance that a little bit of filling should fix the problem.

"bacon" that is all.