Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   5.56/.223 Ak-47 Jam Problems.. Any Solutions? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/5-56-223-ak-47-jam-problems-any-solutions-86186/)

ewags16 03-10-2013 03:53 AM

5.56/.223 Ak-47 Jam Problems.. Any Solutions?

I have a romanarm 5.56mm ak-47 and recently it has been double feeding. Sometimes it will feed the bullet in crooked and jam. The jamming/double feeding seems to primarily occur when I use a .223 ak-47 pmag that i bought. The magazine that came with the rifle very rarely jams. The ammo I use is Tulammo. How can I fix this problem?

CHLChris 03-10-2013 04:29 AM

It sounds like you answered your own question. Mag problems are the biggest cause of feeding issues. When I had that sort of problem with my AR, it turned out to be the cheapo UMC ammo I was using and not even the mags or gun.

To be honest I have never even HEARD of such an animal as you"re using here...

You should at least buy a few boxes of several different ammos and see if the problem persists. You only have 2 magazines? You need to rectify that problem immediately if possible.

kbd512 03-10-2013 04:54 AM

If you have a mag well adapter that permits you to use AR magazines in your AK, then I've heard of that animal before (I think there are at least two different manufacturers that make such an adapter), but what's wrong with the magazine that came with the gun?

Can you get your hands on a stock of Weiger magazines or, if that's not an option, a stock of Bulgarian waffle magazines if you don't already have some?

Describe your double feed.

An empty cartridge casing remaining in the weapon as a live cartridge attempts to feed (failure to extract or eject followed by an attempt to feed from the magazine) and a magazine letting go of two or more live cartridges as the bolt attempts to feed from the magazine (generally damaged or out-of-spec magazine feed lips) is not the same thing.

Does your carbine extract without issue?

If your carbine extracts without issue, does the empty cartridge casing eject without issue?

If your carbine extracts and ejects without issue, does your magazine feed more than one live cartridge into the chamber?

Is your PMAG new or has it seen lots of hard use?

Is your magazine well adapter properly installed and does the bolt make contact with the back of the magazine body when you charge your weapon? Basically, is your PMAG magazine body or feed lips worn (or possibly damaged) in any that would indicate an improper alignment or positioning of the magazine, possibly due to an aforementioned magazine well adapter installation issue?

If you want better answers pertaining to your particular issue, you need to post more information about the condition of the weapon, magazine, magazine well adapter, and ammunition.

robocop10mm 03-12-2013 04:00 AM

A "double feed" is one of the more common misnomerrs in gundom. It is not possible for more than one round to feed at a time. It is actually a failure to extract. I would look more at the ammo. laquer or polymer coated steel is not a good thing in the .223. The relatively straight case body does not seem to cooperate with this construction. Try some quality brass cased ammo.

I would send the mag back, they are guaranteed, right.

vance 03-12-2013 04:31 AM

I had the same issue with some Korean mags. There were two little prongs on the top front of the magazine that I had to file down.

And the last one we built, the bottom of the receiver had a convex curve to it where the mag release rivets on. It wouldn't let the mag fully seat in and would allow the bolt to ride over the following round.
this was due to the heat treating process and was rectified using a hammer and punch.

Try pushing the mag forward while cycling, then try while pushing it rearward.

Sniper03 03-12-2013 08:13 PM

If the weapon is properly lubricated and cleaned it is a magazine issue.

DrumJunkie 03-12-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1173005)
A "double feed" is one of the more common misnomerrs in gundom. It is not possible for more than one round to feed at a time. It is actually a failure to extract. I would look more at the ammo. laquer or polymer coated steel is not a good thing in the .223. The relatively straight case body does not seem to cooperate with this construction. Try some quality brass cased ammo.

I would send the mag back, they are guaranteed, right.

So then, what do you call it when more than one round pops out of the mag at a time?

Another vote for bad mag.

vance 03-12-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 1173713)
So then, what do you call it when more than one round pops out of the mag at a time?

Another vote for bad mag.

Its impossible for a Kalashnikov to double feed. The only thing similar that could happen would be from a broken ejector rail.

By the time the round makes it up the ramp and into the breech, the bolt face is already past the following round.

OP, can you shoot a pic of the two mags you mentioned side by side viewing down?

kbd512 03-12-2013 10:20 PM

The OP hasn't responded to any questions about the condition of the PMAG, whether or not it works in another gun (AR or other AK with an AK AR mag well adapter), and why he's using a PMAG in an AK, but I'd hazard a guess that PMAG's might not function properly with the AK AR mag well adapter that he must be using.

vance 03-12-2013 11:00 PM

I only have experience with 7.62, but should be identical mechanically. He said the rounds going in crooked, too me it sounds like the bolt face is over ridding the bullet. If the bolt face is in fact over ridding the bullet, but still pulling the bullet from the magazine, its within tolerance that a little bit of filling should fix the problem.