Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > .308 or .311 bore size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .308 or .311 bore size?

so i have a romanian ak, sar 1, cugir marked but imported by cai. I was wondering if anyone knew the bore size, i have tried my calipers in the muzzle but it is difficult to get an accurate reading and i dont have a lead bullet in that caliber as i dont reload them. i havent had any accuracy issues using .308 factory loads, but if it is .311 i would like to reload with the correct size, and dont want to do any longterm damage by firing the .308 reloads.
also i have had a really hard time finding out if my ak is still legal, i am in ct and it is very difficult to find specifics when it comes to gun bans. mine does not have a bayonet lug or a threaded barrel but it has the grenade launcher sight mount on the left of the receive. any help would be greatly appreciated!! thx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

pretty decent vid.

never use a metal hammer no matter how tempting. instead of lead balls i use lead fishing sinkers just barely bigger than the bore.

http://youtu.be/ErFaJlUVs1Y
loading up 308 instead of 311 you need a different 308 expander ball for your cases. it wont hurt your gun you just get really really crappy accuracy. some ruskie 311 bores are tight enough to run 308 with no issues in accuracy. its worth the effort to slug your bore to see if your lucky to have one

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-16-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #3

i have a 308 and 311 expander baal, they both come with the rcbs dies, never though of a sinker, perfect thankyou, also accuracy isnt a problem, i can hit milk jugs at 140 yrds off hand so doing ok there.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

JonM gave you what you need for figuring out the bore diameter.

As to the legality of the gun in CT you would have to look at their banned list. They also have a list if features that are banned. Of course they are working to ban more in that state. When I was stationed there there were only so many features a rifle could have and be legal. I can't remember the counts now.

Does it actually have a grenade launcher and grenade launching sight on it. I haven't seen a Romanian that had either. The Romanian guns do usually have a mounting rail on the side of the receiver for mounting optics to. I'd love to see pictures if it has a grenade sight on it.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #5

sorry. but no grenade sight. i think you are right, that it is a mount for any optics, i will take pics and post them though. i have been to ct's site to try and get information but it is a pain in the arse. From what i have found within doing some, but not extensive research, is that ak's are on the ban list but i had a hard time finding specifics. I would assume, although i was taught to never assume, hat if i owned it prior to it being banned, that it would be grandfathered in, just wouldnt be able to transfer or sell it. sound correct? Im not positive if that is the case
I'll try and take some pics tomm!!