Kentucky Hit tv series is casting gun collectors & enthusiasts! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > FirearmsTalk Classifieds > Wanted >

Kentucky Hit tv series is casting gun collectors & enthusiasts!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I for one wouldn't be giving out info on yourself, until there is creditable proof this is a legitimate thing. Still sounds weird to me.
The NSA wants info on all gun nuts, not just the ones in KY!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have no desire to end up like the guy in AZ who used to provide guns for movies. I will remain anonymous right here.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #13

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yes. They were first found in Pennsylvania. Maybe the producers are unaware of that fact?

If you don't know about the Kentucky Rifle you should learn about it before you can become a certifiable "Gun Nut"!
You are indeed correct, but if going for gun culture, the name is there for a reason. Mostly central to he region of use. German smiths who settled in Pennsylvania are credited with developing them. Variations in bore size, barrel length, metals used on trim were seen in Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, and Virginia. Pennsylvania and Kentucky versions seemed to be some of teh more ornate versions, while the Tennessee, and Virginia rifles were usually a bit more spartan in their design, such as patch boxes, and trigger guards, cross pins, end caps and butt plates. Also, these mountain versions often had slightly shorter barrels.

As people pushed further west, and even lighter version was made for the western mountains, and frontier, as the Hawken rifle was developed. It also was known for being of larger bore, due to large game and bears out there.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
You are indeed correct, but if going for gun culture, the name is there for a reason. Mostly central to he region of use. German smiths who settled in Pennsylvania are credited with developing them. Variations in bore size, barrel length, metals used on trim were seen in Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, and Virginia. Pennsylvania and Kentucky versions seemed to be some of teh more ornate versions, while the Tennessee, and Virginia rifles were usually a bit more spartan in their design, such as patch boxes, and trigger guards, cross pins, end caps and butt plates. Also, these mountain versions often had slightly shorter barrels.

As people pushed further west, and even lighter version was made for the western mountains, and frontier, as the Hawken rifle was developed. It also was known for being of larger bore, due to large game and bears out there.
What i would give for an original! A buddy of mine has a Pennsylvania and a Kentucky rifle. He has had one since he was a teenager and the other one he picked up at a gun store here locally. They didn't know what they had so he got it for a fraction of its actual value.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #15

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Humm?? If you think the "Plains Rifle" was lighter than the Eastern Long rifle you are reading the wrong history. In 1805 Lewis & Clark found their Eastern Long Rifles lacking power against the "Grizz". The push West called for large caliber rifles capable of firing very heavy loads. These rifles were often in the 20 pound range as opposed to the 12 pound Long Rifles. In the West men were mounted and not on foot.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #16

I have visited and hunted with my friends in Kentucky. I hope this is not going to show the fine people of Kentucky as ignorant gun crazy idiots. All we need is another "Swamp People" to show case outdoors man in America.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Humm?? If you think the "Plains Rifle" was lighter than the Eastern Long rifle you are reading the wrong history. In 1805 Lewis & Clark found their Eastern Long Rifles lacking power against the "Grizz". The push West called for large caliber rifles capable of firing very heavy loads. These rifles were often in the 20 pound range as opposed to the 12 pound Long Rifles. In the West men were mounted and not on foot.
The Lewis and Clark Expedition was not mounted for most of the trek. They also had an air rifle that was more effective than the black powder guns.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
I have visited and hunted with my friends in Kentucky. I hope this is not going to show the fine people of Kentucky as ignorant gun crazy idiots. All we need is another "Swamp People" to show case outdoors man in America.
I agree. I think the show could be very interesting, but we all need to be weary. A bad producer could be trying to paint us in a bad light.

"Here we have another anti-government, paranoid, right-wing, gun-nut who owns a solid dozen black assault fully automatic rifles with high bullet capacity magazine clips which shoot bullets that can put a bowling ball sized hole in a man at 200 yards, because the bullets explode on impact. He also owns 16 lbs of gunpowder and thousands of high explosive primers, for making his own, more powerful, explosive bullets."

Case in point:

Last edited by JW357; 07-23-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
We're talking about a TV show. Of course it will show Kentuckians as ignorant gun crazy fools. That's what TV shows DO!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #20

I did not mean to infer that the Corp of Discovery was mounted. I said the push West which followed Lewis and Clark called for Heavy rifles. Most gun guys know the heavy rifles were post 1840. Yes, the air rifle which accidentally killed a by stander on the Ohio River early on the trip.

Closed Thread