Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus Forum > Tcp709/738

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2068 Times on 1426 Posts
Likes Given: 433

I have heard good and not so good on the "7" series. Own a SS 92 with a replaced Match Tube. Maybe 12 FTF's or FTE's in 21+ years.....
I'd prob. Get the 709 for myself and the 738 for the Mz. Also in process of finding a Youth model Rossi Judge carbine with the "Tuffy" tacticool stock and rail. Another His & Hers thing...
Any comments on the 7 series, thx in advance...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #2

Liked 615 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 317

I liked the well shaped grip, the locking back after the last round, and the good trigger pull. It hit the point of aim at 7 yards, and I would not ask for more. The whole point of it to me was shooting defensive hollowpoints reliably. That was where it failed. Not just the flying ashtray bullets, the common regular Hornadys and CorBons. I polished the ramp, even touched it up with a file - still failed to feed every time. This is my story. I hope they've gotten better over the last 3 years.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #3

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Oh they have got'n better just like rugers and most other380 makers micro pistols. When new they to were junk to many. Some still are by the less understanding shooters. . Yours must be a early model A or B in the serial number and then WHY did you not send it in to be look at and fixed. Anyhow. dr football If you have a C or D series you have a good one that most likely will fire most any ammo you try. I avoid the really off brands and steel cases along with wwb and fed champion. The two in our family have fire ever hp brand tried the pistol don't seem to easy to induce a failure ether . You do have to make a full release of the trigger or they can have a false reset but that not a big deal for most shooters. Both ours are used as daily cc pistols on my wife and one daughter and carried with corbon dpx bullets but back up is gd's from Georgia arms as they run great too and are cheaper to buy. Better than 800 rounds thru each and zero issues.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!

Liked 2068 Times on 1426 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Thx Guys. We didn't pick them up YET. Wife is very partial to revolvers, thats what she's most comfortable with. She has improved enough with the 3 Auto's she has to "hit what she's Aiming at,"(we both got 92's for duty carry, she also has an FEG 32 we both got(1ea.) aside from her Browning) but if she could carry a 357 as primary Carry for Ranger Duty she would. (only Autos, Da/Sa or DAO,, 9MM or higher, 4" Barrel or longer) I want her to have something small and comfortable to carry in place of her SP101 or LCR. She also refuses to "Bra" carry(she's frustrated enough that People look at her chest)and she doesn't wear Jeans with a Belt that often..so it's either in her Cowgirl Boots or in one of her Bags(I got her one for our annv. back in Feb., a Bag with a Holster Build in...), But she finds Bags everywhere that are large enough to take one of her pocket holsters. We both have the Blackhawk Pocket(Hers is the #4 for 38/357 snubbies, and Mine is the #2(supposed to fit KelTec & Ruger 380's, but fits the LC9 as well) I also have the DeSantis Insider & Nemisis Pocket as well,..
I asked about the Taurus "7's" because My cousin & his wife both have them and He raves about his. I have no Issue, like some, about their Quality Issues. My PT92 Goes Bang when I pull the Trigger, even though that Gun is Babied now(used to be my Comp. Gun for 9mm from 1988-2000 ish...

I had the 738SS in my hands last Friday at the Range/Shop...it wasn't NIB Factory, but was less then 6 Months old, obtained on a Trade in,..but My wife Wants Brand NEW, because she feels we got shafted on her Browning Buckmark because it's about 10 Years old, and needs constant Babying(by Guess who) to shoot 200-300 rds. per session without a Hang up...I clean that 22 More then I did My Beretta 92 & Colt Commander while in Service.....
Anyway I asked her if she wasn't just "saying" she liked it to make me happy,..she actually Liked the Lines of the Gun, and felt it would fit both her holsters and most of her bags....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 11-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I've put about 500 rounds through my Taurus 738. Not one issue nor complaint. For $219 its worth every penny plus some. I upgraded to a Pearch grip extension on the mag and it makes a world of difference.