Taurus PT92 Holster
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus Forum > Taurus PT92 Holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2394 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2512

Default Taurus PT92 Holster

My son has a Taurus PT92 with a rail on it. People seem to think that it's "just like a Beretta 92". But it's not. We've tried two or three holsters that claim to be suitable for the Taurus PT92 and the Beretta 92. In each case, the differences in location of the safety (on slide for Beretta, on frame for Taurus) has led to a misfit. Also, the Beretta generally does not have a rail which makes the Taurus rail interfere, usually with one of the tensioning screws.

Does anyone know who makes a good Taurus PT92 holster? Looking for IWB concealed carry holster.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6022 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 432

I use my xdm gear holster which is a perfect fit for my m9a1 which has a rail and my inox compact. Its a owb paddle type holster. It also works great with my sig p220. The safety on the m9 doesn't come anywhere near the holster it shouldn't be an issue for a pt92

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-30-2014, 12:58 AM   #3

Liked 2406 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Specter gear makes a decent non specific holster. A friend has one for his Beretta and it has room to accommodate a rail, and wouldn't be specifically cut for either safety. It also fits his Sig 226 and Glock 22.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #4

If he goes OWB he wants some useful retention. He thought he found one, but it has a big drop and offset. Not IDPA legal. And if he does start shooting IDPA, he wants to practice with what he carries.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 03-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I use a serpa for my 1911's that have that little push button lock. But I prefer the xdm gear because it uses friction to retain the gun adjusteded by two screws.

Carrying ccw isn't the same need as a police officer who may wrassle with bad guys. A civvy isn't going to be trying to cuff a drunk who may go for the gun so retention isn't a real issue other than the gun just not falling out.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #6

Liked 2406 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Crossbreed and some of the other custom kydex holster makers can make one that is comfortable for CCW and would work for IDPA. With kydex he may be able to find something close in fit, and use a heat gun to form it more specifically for the Taurus.

(Or in my anti-Taurus mode, trade the Taurus for a Beretta)

Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

(Or in my anti-Taurus mode, trade the Taurus for a Beretta)

i would second this... heh

Old 04-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #8

He bought the Taurus specifically because it has the safety on the frame instead of the slide.

Personally, I think concealment is a level of retention. But open carry is at risk of someone trying to snatch the gun. Simple friction is enough for IDPA rules, but not a defense against a snatch attempt.

Balota

Old 04-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #9

Good point about heat gun adjustment for kydex.

Balota

Old 04-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
He bought the Taurus specifically because it has the safety on the frame instead of the slide.

Personally, I think concealment is a level of retention. But open carry is at risk of someone trying to snatch the gun. Simple friction is enough for IDPA rules, but not a defense against a snatch attempt.
I like having oc here in wisconsin but i always keep a shirt or jacket over my gun for that reason.

One of the biggies thats hard to maintain is awareness of who is around you.