Are Taurus pistols carry quality?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus Forum > Are Taurus pistols carry quality?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7465 Times on 4071 Posts
Likes Given: 15360

Default Are Taurus pistols carry quality?

I like this model 809 compact.
ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1406495249.037395.jpg

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

John_Deer Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #2

Liked 1290 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

It might be.....? Guns are like people, regardless of where they come from, you have to get to know them before they can be trusted.... i think 300rnds with no issues is a good start.. I have a beat up old Hi-point 9mm that i would trust with my life (toolbox gun). Then i also have a Kimber that has been back to the factory twice, and has never been reliable.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Last edited by rn-cindy; 07-27-2014 at 09:33 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #3

Liked 113 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 143

I have had four over the years, PT 111, pair of 145s and a 99AF. All four had one or several reasons why they went down the road. I would suggest you read everything from anyone who has shot one, check on the availability of spare mags and the holster you want and then decide.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

People Like This 
Old 07-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I suggest you find some defensive ammo it likes. Usually it's not the cheapest stuff. Then five hundred rounds minimum. one, double tap, four or five, and some empty the mag. You need to be completely confident no matter how many shots are left. Confidence is a key. You may end up using FMJ. Really no biggie there. No one wants to catch'em.
Be familiar with the possible failures and how to clear them. Even if you have a 100% bang rate.
A little throat and polish the ramp is a good idea too.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #5

Liked 2613 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 2532

I carry a Taurus PT 1911 everyday. It has never failed to go bang.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2602 Times on 1270 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Mr. McCool

My Grandson came down for a visit two weeks ago and brought his New Taurus Model 809. I do not own a Taurus at the present but have owned a couple in the past. I believe the Models were the PT99? and a Model 85 Snubby!
Both were fine pistols and I had zero problems with them. Anyway, I was impressed with the accuracy of my Grandson's Model 809 at 15 Yards and in. He was doing some personal defense training drills. It seemed to be made fairly well and during our range time it had no malfunctions the entire day and he fired at least 75-100 rounds. I guess depending upon the price point and what you are looking for there would be no reason not to consider it in my opinion!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #7

Liked 101 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I guess I've owned my share of Taurus guns over the last few years so I'll give you my thoughts on each of them.
PT1911AR This was a good gun that I would not have hesitated to trust my life with. Only reason I don't still own it is because of the rail. I hate 1911s with rails (this gun helped me figure that out)
PT111 Loved this gun, I would recommend it to anyone. Thought I was upgrading going to a Glock (NOT). To me the trigger on the Taurus is better, the size just seems to fit my hand better. I'll own another one of these someday.
PT100 (40 S&W Beretta clone) The thing I like about these most of all is the frame mounted safety. I'm a 1911 guy from way back and I just prefer a downward sweeping safety to a slide mounted one. Gun is as reliable as the day is long. I still own this gun and doubt that will ever change.
Revolvers (I've owned several Taurus big bore revolvers) They are all gone now; every last one of them. Doubt I ever own another. Yes they are probably worth the price of enrty but for a few more bucks just get a Ruger and be done with it. Taurus customer service in my experience sucks and the times I've tried to use it has always been on their revolvers.

In short as long as you don't need their customer service their semi-autos are good guns and in many cases superior to many "name" brand guns that you would expect more from. But if you end up needing service you're better off selling and replacing in my experience.

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 AM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7465 Times on 4071 Posts
Likes Given: 15360

No bad reviews so far.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 AM   #9

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
I guess I've owned my share of Taurus guns over the last few years so I'll give you my thoughts on each of them.
PT1911AR This was a good gun that I would not have hesitated to trust my life with. Only reason I don't still own it is because of the rail. I hate 1911s with rails (this gun helped me figure that out)
PT111 Loved this gun, I would recommend it to anyone. Thought I was upgrading going to a Glock (NOT). To me the trigger on the Taurus is better, the size just seems to fit my hand better. I'll own another one of these someday.
PT100 (40 S&W Beretta clone) The thing I like about these most of all is the frame mounted safety. I'm a 1911 guy from way back and I just prefer a downward sweeping safety to a slide mounted one. Gun is as reliable as the day is long. I still own this gun and doubt that will ever change.
Revolvers (I've owned several Taurus big bore revolvers) They are all gone now; every last one of them. Doubt I ever own another. Yes they are probably worth the price of enrty but for a few more bucks just get a Ruger and be done with it. Taurus customer service in my experience sucks and the times I've tried to use it has always been on their revolvers.

In short as long as you don't need their customer service their semi-autos are good guns and in many cases superior to many "name" brand guns that you would expect more from. But if you end up needing service you're better off selling and replacing in my experience.
I went from a Glock 36 to a Taurus PT745 , for the trigger. It fits me well and always fires.

3d Infantry Division
"Dogface Soldier"
Beretta 70 Collection
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

They had better be or my brother and my wife have been doing something wrong for 20+ years!!!
I have sold many of them for CC and only had a problem with one of them, a revolver, and I sent it back and had the customer a new one in less than a week. They have a life time warranty.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

MisterMcCool Likes This