Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus Forum > Which handgun is the best for self defence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which handgun is the best for self defence

Hi i'm very new to guns and would like to know which one is the best? Can anyone help me please

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #2

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Whatever you shoot best, and WILL carry (a gun is no good if you don't have it), and (here's an opinion, and nothing but an opinion) of a caliber at least 9MM or up. I prefer "up".

Must be reliable, and most currently made modern guns are.

Go shopping man!

Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Here we go again. Lol.

Self defense at home? Is it going to be a carry concealed weapon (ccw)?

Different guns for different purposes you see.

Find a weapons range and get training in safety and handling. Hopefully they rent handguns so that you may try different ones and find the one that fits you.

Here at FTF you will find a lot of knowledge and experience but also a lot of opinions as to the best handgun for any given purpose. Honestly, the best gun for me may not be the best for you.

Welcome to FTF. Enjoy and always be safe.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #4

I trying to decide between pt917, pt 809 and cz75 duty and i know the pt917 and 809 is evenly balanced in weight but czduty's weight is mostly in the slide but what i want to know is how many rounds can you shoot without it jamming

Old 05-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #5

Liked 323 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 915

my cousins nephew has a handgun what holster should he get?..........

just joking but the question is pretty vague.we need more details.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #6

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If you are new to guns, before you buy go to a range that rents guns, and/or go with a friend that has guns, and try out as many makes, models, and types as you can. Get some instruction on how to shoot both automatics and revolvers. Listen to what more experienced shooters have to say, but remember that anyone who has been around shooting for any length of time has developed their own set of TRUE BELIEFS, and what works for them may not work for you.

My suggestion to anyone starting out in shooting is that their first gun should be a good .22, for the reason that the most important thing for any beginner is practice, practice, practice. Hundreds, if not thousands, of rounds. A .22 will let to afford the amount of ammo you need to get proficient, and if you get a good .22, such as a Ruger Mk I, II, or III, or a Ruger Single Six (two of my recommendations for beginners) it will still be fun to shoot after you have gone on to bigger calibers.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #7

I tried .22 and its too small i was thinking of buying the cz which alot people told me to buy but the gun don't feel right and i am a bit sciptical regarding reliability i want a gun that can shoot 2000 rounds plus and don't get jammed

Old 05-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikes
I trying to decide between pt917, pt 809 and cz75 duty and i know the pt917 and 809 is evenly balanced in weight but czduty's weight is mostly in the slide but what i want to know is how many rounds can you shoot without it jamming
First. Taurus makes good handguns but I'm sure most here will agree that CZ is a better weapon in many ways.

Second. No one can tell you which gun is going to jam, have ftf's or any other type of problem versus the other. Type of ammo and many other factors are involved.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #9

Liked 323 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikes View Post
I tried .22 and its too small i was thinking of buying the cz which alot people told me to buy but the gun don't feel right and i am a bit sciptical regarding reliability i want a gun that can shoot 2000 rounds plus and don't get jammed
check out Glock they have a wide range of choices that are inexpensive and extremely reliable.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1
my cousins nephew has a handgun what holster should he get?..........

just joking but the question is pretty vague.we need more details.
I have an extra holster. Do you think it fits your nephews gun?