Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > In Stock > Walmart info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative View Post
bigtex52 ........

Check out this government procurement webpage,

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=7c0a7d03ca1d03dbe187e2 a5406502e5&tab=core&_cview=1

and you'll see that our government actually IS buying stockpiles of ammo - just to keep it out of our hands.

Why else would they be ordering things like 28 gauge, .22 Rimfire, 30-06, 44 Magnum, 7.62x39 etc etc..?
The link is dead.

Justin, no need to take offense. Just because it is not happening at your Walmart doesn't mean it's not happening at others.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

This problem was obviously not caused by Walmart. We have too many liberal politicians that want to disarm America. That's the problem!

Visit our website at WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM It's devoted to helping shooters make the best handloads possible.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative View Post
This problem was obviously not caused by Walmart. We have too many liberal politicians that want to disarm America. That's the problem!
I also believe this is the case, but have not found anything confirming that DHS is dying up our ammo supply.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

pizza_pablo .......

This link works for me. It's our government purchasing website.

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=7c0a7d03ca1d03dbe187e2 a5406502e5&tab=core&_cview=1[/URL]

I can show you a dozen other pages that show the ammo they're buying. (It's public record.) How much more confirmation do you need?

Visit our website at WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM It's devoted to helping shooters make the best handloads possible.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 526 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 203

My local Walmarts and Academy people have been very helpful during this hard time crisis. Just ask them when they get shipments and they will tell you. My Academy gets guns and ammo every M W F and will have it on the shelves at 8am when they open. One box per caliber per person please. They know what guns are coming in but unfortunately they don't know what calibers and how much of ammo they are getting until the trucks pull up.

Walmart gets deliveries every weekday and will have it on the shelf by 7 am. They just don't know what they are getting or how much either. I have had long talks with the walmart employees working the gun section (always old folks ) and they have been very honest to me and seem trust worthy. Maybe in some places the employees are bad but I want to believe that here they are just trying to do good by everyone.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

DWT Likes This 
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #16
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin5272
I'm the sporting goods dept. manager at my local Walmart and I somewhat take offense to some of these statements. I personally check what my store and the other stores in a 20 mile radius will be getting on their trucks each night and tell anyone who asks what store will have what ammo. I do tell them that they need to be there early or they would be getting any.
Juststartin,

The scenario I related in my post was personally witnessed by me and therefore fact. However, at the end of my posting I made a generalization of all Wal-Mart employees and for that I apologize. You obviously have integrity in trying to help your customers. I think we are all frustrated at the lack of ammo and the betrayals of a few people that we feel helpless to remedy and that causes us to lash out. Again, I apologize for any offense I caused.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #17

Likes Given: 3

I work at a Wal-Mart, get in good with just about any of the poeple, they can look up exactly what is planned to come in on the next truck, I know I look for .45 everyday.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Whether or not DHS is buying 2.1 billion rounds in two orders should be only a secondary consideration to the market. Government approved suppliers fill these orders all the time yet still fulfill all their commercial requirements. They would not just stop commercial production to fulfill an order: Again, they have done this for decades with no effect on the commercial market.

However, rarely is there a secondary market in ammunition where a person can buy off-the-shelf and immediately triple the price and still have a customer pay it quickly. This trend will most likely not end until everyone willing to pay the much higher prices feel they have enough of a stockpile to survive whatever they feel may come. At that point we will see the markets come back to normal and stores will once again be able to stock ammunition at their regular prices.

While it's necessary to have enough ammunition for SHTF scenarios and home defense, we will not see the end of this price gouging until there are very few people that are willing to pay the inflated prices.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 03-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

TeKGreg ......

Those 2 billion rounds ordered by the DHS represent dozens of orders, and that's enough ammo for a 30 year ground war. Most of this ammo is non-military calibers. Think about that for a moment . . . .

Ammunition gets to the shelf only after it is sold to dealers by huge distributors, and they will sell to anyone with an FFL. The shooters that are now hoarding ammo are the smart ones. This situation is caused by a government that fixes (or causes) every problem with an unlimited amount of our money. This ammo shortage is even worse than we had during WWII.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #20

Likes Given: 4

I don't think that the gov't is the cause of the ammo shortage but a perfect storm of Newtown, mistrust of gov't Obama and cronies and panic buying. BUT, what does the DHS need with 2 billion rounds of hollow point? It at least begs for an answer. I agree with TekGreg, don't buy from those guys gouging at the gun shows and online and they will get stuck with a boatload of ammo and then we can all get back to regular practice. Until then, movement drills, dryfire, etc. I don't think that the problems at some Walmarts are systemic, I shop at several and have a great relationship with the employees, they all are very open about what is coming in and when. If you get there at the right time then you get what they got, 3 boxes of each. Employees are limited to 1 box and can't buy during their shift. I have friends that buy up what they find and we split what we buy between us. It's not a lot but a little is better than none and better than paying $1/rd for .223 etc. It will be awhile before it gets back to the good ole days again. There is a search engine that checks for ammo at www.gunbot.net that checks for ammo online, price per box, price per rd, etc. I haven't had a whole lot of luck with it but I have found a few gems, the stuff goes quick so you have to buy when you see it. I've been wanting to get back into reloading recently now that I am settled in one place but reloading supplies are slim to nonexistent. I would just like to add that if anyone finds any reloading supplies online please speak up.