Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   In Stock (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f181/)
-   -   Walmart ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f181/walmart-ammo-88092/)

beretta9988 04-03-2013 05:08 PM

Walmart ammo

So I had a frustrating experience at Walmart today. The Walmart I go to stocks their ammo overnight then starts selling at 7am or whenever the sporting good person gets in. yesterday I go their around 7am and was told there was no ammo and to try again tomorrow. I go this morning and while waiting I look at the iphone app for walmart and it says they have 9mm 100 round federal in stock. So I get excited I am the only one there thinking cool I can finally get some ammo. The sporting good manager comes in and I tell her I want 3 boxes of 9mm and she says we don’t have any. I say the app says you have it in stock. She says we had it yesterday and it sold out. Now I am confused. I was there yesterday and was told nothing came in.

The sporting goods manager tells me yes I remember you from yesterday and I apologize a bunch of ammo showed up around 10am. It was found in the one of the food aisle boxes in a box labeled ketchup. Then later in the day more showed up in a box labeled mustard. The sporting good manger and store manager are looking into it.

Sounds like Walmart employees are hiding ammo so they can purchase it the next day. The sporting good manager told me employees can’t buy ammo unless it has been in stock for more than 24 hours.

Mongo 04-03-2013 07:10 PM

I used to deliver trailers to Walmart stores. The process generally involves the store receiving 3 trailers daily. The receivers won't know what products are on which trailer. Throw in a shift change and the clerks may honestly not know what has arrived but has not been unloaded yet.

beretta9988 04-03-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongo
I used to deliver trailers to Walmart stores. The process generally involves the store receiving 3 trailers daily. The receivers won't know what products are on which trailer. Throw in a shift change and the clerks may honestly not know what has arrived but has not been unloaded yet.

I understand that but funny how ammo was found in a box with mustard a ketchup.

MisterMcCool 04-03-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beretta9988

I understand that but funny how ammo was found in a box with mustard a ketchup.

That sounds like BS.

JTJ 04-03-2013 10:50 PM

Walmart does not pay very much so the employees are probably supplementing their income.

dalefan88 04-03-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ
Walmart does not pay very much so the employees are probably supplementing their income.

Ya with over priced ammo on armslist.

bige91603 04-04-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ

Maybe they should get a real job then

beretta9988 04-04-2013 01:45 AM

According to the Walmart app they its still in stock. Does anyone know how accurate the app is. I would think by now the ammo that was sold yesterday would be out of there system by now.

bige91603 04-04-2013 02:01 AM

I found two boxes of white box 45 auto and bought them at the wally world down the road. Still says they have limited stock

GaMatt72 04-05-2013 10:27 AM

6:30 am waiting at my Walmart for some 22lr. Found out it came in last night and won't be on the self till 7:30.

GaMatt72 04-05-2013 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Score!!! 3 boxes of 333.

Attachment 94610

mchoitz 04-05-2013 12:00 PM

You think you guys have it bad? Here the sporting goods manager at walmart buys the ammo before it hit the shelf and sells it on the local classifieds for 2-3X the amount, like a 500 round box of .22 for 70$... Surprised he's not fired

GaMatt72 04-05-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchoitz
You think you guys have it bad? Here the sporting goods manager at walmart buys the ammo before it hit the shelf and sells it on the local classifieds for 2-3X the amount, like a 500 round box of .22 for 70$... Surprised he's not fired

They do that at some locals Walmart's a here also.

trip286 04-05-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchoitz (Post 1203867)

If you can prove it's him, and that this is what he's doing, start reporting him. And I don't mean, to the store manager every now and then. Take it to their corporate headquarters, district managers, whatever.

Walmarts are oftentimes run like their own little feudal fiefdom. You have to go above and beyond THAT store's management to see anything get done. The local manager is only concerned with one thing, keeping their job. In this day and age, that's a legit concern. But many people in many different jobs will do so with disregard to what's right and wrong.

A District Manager is concerned with making sure the stores aren't jacked up. That would be the first person I would talk to.

HOSSFLY 04-05-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1203877)
If you can prove it's him, and that this is what he's doing, start reporting him. And I don't mean, to the store manager every now and then. Take it to their corporate headquarters, district managers, whatever.

Walmarts are oftentimes run like their own little feudal fiefdom. You have to go above and beyond THAT store's management to see anything get done. The local manager is only concerned with one thing, keeping their job. In this day and age, that's a legit concern. But many people in many different jobs will do so with disregard to what's right and wrong.

A District Manager is concerned with making sure the stores aren't jacked up. That would be the first person I would talk to.

Exactly- bitchin among ourselves will not solve the problem----

davva360 04-05-2013 01:14 PM

I agree if you find out anything like that going on at Walmart call their corporate office. My ex wife works at a Walmart and people have been fired for less. It only takes one or two to lose their jobs and word will get around and it will stop.

davva360 04-05-2013 03:12 PM

The app has not helped me so far. Been to three Walmart's today that said they had stuff in stock and none of them did.

Spoke to the General manager of one store and he said the website is not always accurate. I told him I had heard of employees stashing ammo to buy themselves. He said if he found out anyone was doing that they would be fired.

Maybe he is in on it lol.

Fathead00 04-05-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davva360
The app has not helped me so far. Been to three Walmart's today that said they had stuff in stock and none of them did.

Spoke to the General manager of one store and he said the website is not always accurate. I told him I had heard of employees stashing ammo to buy themselves. He said if he found out anyone was doing that they would be fired.

Maybe he is in on it lol.

I know when they showed handgun ammo on their website, it showed a date of when it was updated which usually was days earlier. I have found one time it was correct!!

MemphisJim1 04-05-2013 07:10 PM

I had an interesting call today from a friend who has regular contact with Winchester's ammunition plant in North Mississippi. According to him, Winchester has been making .22LR in copious quantities and shipping to Walmart as usual. However, as he notes, we rarely hear of or see any on shelves in the stores. According to the friend, Winchester and Remington have learned that Walmart has not restricted ammo sales to its employees. Suspicions are that pallets are not even making it out of the distribution centers; employees are buying them there. Could that explain the quantities being offered for sale by private sellers on sundry websites? Seems like an easy way to "supplement" one's income. More basically, though, if all the manufacturers continue to make and ship .22LR, where is it all going? Another friend suggests that ammo could become the currency of choice if such huge quantities are being hoarded, as we all suspect.

audiophile 04-08-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MemphisJim1 (Post 1204263)
I had an interesting call today from a friend who has regular contact with Winchester's ammunition plant in North Mississippi. According to him, Winchester has been making .22LR in copious quantities and shipping to Walmart as usual. However, as he notes, we rarely hear of or see any on shelves in the stores. According to the friend, Winchester and Remington have learned that Walmart has not restricted ammo sales to its employees. Suspicions are that pallets are not even making it out of the distribution centers; employees are buying them there. Could that explain the quantities being offered for sale by private sellers on sundry websites? Seems like an easy way to "supplement" one's income. More basically, though, if all the manufacturers continue to make and ship .22LR, where is it all going? Another friend suggests that ammo could become the currency of choice if such huge quantities are being hoarded, as we all suspect.

The only problem with that is there is no way to purchase the ammo at the distribution centers. This would also affect shipping and bills of lading. Once home office decides which stores are going get a shipment and how much, all the ammo (and other freight) has to be accounted for. I understand that Winchester may be producing at normal levels, but there are over 4500 Walmarts and they are not the only company that receives ammo from the manufactures. I can tell you that we see a decent flow of .22lr as well as other ammo, but we also have people coming in at all hours to purchase so it is usually gone by morning. Obviously I can not speak for all stores, but at my store our associates are bound by the same rules as everyone else. Three box limit and they have to be off the clock to purchase. It is not just Walmart, Academy, Dick's,Bass Pro and our local gun shops are all in the same boat.

BadBob 04-11-2013 10:13 PM

I'd imagine the store's stocking employees are the ones who're getting to the ammo before customers, but not all stores get the same shipments.

I spoke to the manager of my local Walmart, (they don't sell guns) and he told me that right now Walmart stores that do not sell firearms are getting less ammo than those who do sell guns.

He said there was nothing he could do, he has no control of what type/caliber or how much ammo is being sent to him. He (and the manager of another store that did sell guns) advised me to be at the store early everyday if you want any chance of finding ammo there, but odds are it's probably not going to be what you want.

I went to two local gun shows recently, and they had everything you could want, but most of it was not being sold at prices you'd want to pay. It seemed like the more someone had of a particular caliber, the more they wanted for it per round, which seemed kind of strange, as they were not all what you'd call popular calibers. One guy was selling asst bulk rifle caliber ammo in military ammo boxes, (not in original boxes) but it was not cheap.

wieseman71 04-14-2013 12:35 AM

I use the Walmart app. The last 3 weekends I've gotten 9mm & 223. I just left my local store with 3 federal 100 packs of 9mm and 3 boxes of American eagle 223' I buy the wife dinner when she comes and gets 3 boxes' works every time!!!!

Point6liter 04-14-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBob (Post 1210879)
I'd imagine the store's stocking employees are the ones who're getting to the ammo before customers, but not all stores get the same shipments.

I spoke to the manager of my local Walmart, (they don't sell guns) and he told me that right now Walmart stores that do not sell firearms are getting less ammo than those who do sell guns.

He said there was nothing he could do, he has no control of what type/caliber or how much ammo is being sent to him. He (and the manager of another store that did sell guns) advised me to be at the store early everyday if you want any chance of finding ammo there, but odds are it's probably not going to be what you want.

I went to two local gun shows recently, and they had everything you could want, but most of it was not being sold at prices you'd want to pay. It seemed like the more someone had of a particular caliber, the more they wanted for it per round, which seemed kind of strange, as they were not all what you'd call popular calibers. One guy was selling asst bulk rifle caliber ammo in military ammo boxes, (not in original boxes) but it was not cheap.

Are you in Orlando or cocoa? If you are in the Orlando area I have some suggestions for finding ammo for you.

KJG67 04-14-2013 12:54 AM

I'd say if someone has some pretty good suspicions or the app says it's in stock but not on the shelves, I would call corporate. Walmart has to have tracking of when supplies arrive at stores, and they have security cameras - someone should be able to tell if they are stocking the shelves after a shipment arrival. If not and since's it's a customer complaint, let the investigation and firings begin.

KimberFan 04-14-2013 12:58 AM

I noticed here in Easter Washington, it's slowly becoming more available on the shelves. I was in my local WalMart this morning and found that they had .38spec, Remington .357, Winchester .44mag, Winchester .40, Federal 9mm and about a 9 or 10 boxes of Remington .22LR. They still have a 3 box limit per customer sign up though. Plenty of long rifle ammo on the shelf.

clr8ter 04-14-2013 01:26 AM

OP, why does this surprise you? With all of Walmart's computers and inventory systems, you 'd think they could keep more stuff in stock. Like shoelaces. I was there one day, and the shoelace rack was half empty. It's not like there is a shoelace shortage. I went back a few days later, and the rack was full.

Home Depot. I went to buy an air compressor. They had none. I ask the guy, "when will you get more?" He tells me they have one in stock, the floor model. Manual, gone. Drain & fill plugs, gone. Covered in dust. Who knows what else has been done to it. He offers me that one, and not even at a discount. I ask him if he'd order me another one. No, he can't. The system orders it by itself, and it's showing one in stock. I offer to pay for it right now, up front. Nope. Can't do it.
Most of the HD around here store these things out on the floor. People steal parts off them like crazy. I searched for weeks to find an unmolested one. And drove further to get it.
LOL, and you're surprised WW inventory isn't up-to-the-second.:D

SRK97 04-14-2013 01:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't usually buy ammo but for 10$ a box! I know it's not high quality but it will still go bang.

Attachment 95955

HOSSFLY 04-14-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRK97 (Post 1213092)
I don't usually buy ammo but for 10$ a box! I know it's not high quality but it will still go bang.

Attachment 95955

I have quite a bit- It works-
Local walmart had 9mm yesterday PPU @ $23 a box-$8 higher than a LGS down the road :confused:

KJG67 04-14-2013 11:14 PM

Standing in line at Walmart right now (first person). Their app shows 9mm, 22lr, and .380 in stock for the past hour. Shelves are barren and staff says they've got none. I showed them the app, they scan the shelves and the look of surprise :) He goes in back and says they're unloading the truck but haven't come across it yet, but even he's excited. Another associate comes up to him seeing we're talking about ammo. Quietly says I've got 6 boxes of .556 in my locker. Don't tell anyone (with a wink).

An hour later, There's no 22 or 9 on the truck. The manager can't explain it either. I'll be calling corporate loss prevention morning.

nosaj 04-15-2013 01:38 AM

Loose lips sink ships. Dumb@$$

BadBob 04-15-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Point6liter (Post 1213042)
Are you in Orlando or cocoa? If you are in the Orlando area I have some suggestions for finding ammo for you.

I'm in Cocoa, but thanks for the offer of help!

HOSSFLY 04-15-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosaj (Post 1214189)
Loose lips sink ships. Dumb@$$

Don't know who you're referring too but still uncalled for IMO :confused:

nosaj 04-15-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1215155)

Don't know who you're referring too but still uncalled for IMO :confused:

I was referring to the walmart worker hiding ammo in his locker.....not KJG

KJG67 04-16-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosaj (Post 1215169)

I figured that's who you were referring to. No sweat :). Couldn't believe he would say it either. Just an update - too busy at work today to stay on hold for customer service, and can't find a phone number for loss prevention. Will try again tomorrow if I have time, but this week is looking ugly.

audiophile 04-16-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJG67 (Post 1215186)

I figured that's who you were referring to. No sweat :). Couldn't believe he would say it either. Just an update - too busy at work today to stay on hold for customer service, and can't find a phone number for loss prevention. Will try again tomorrow if I have time, but this week is looking ugly.

The main number (1800walmart) is what you will need to call. They don't have public direct numbers for individual departments. You can contact the store directly and ask for the APM.
Two things wrong with this, associates should never have unpaid merchandise in their lockers, and they are limited to 3 boxes just like every one else. Yes, I would bring this to the attention of management. What store is this? I would most definantly coach an associate over this if not worse.

davva360 04-16-2013 06:51 PM

I have the same problem with the app. It says they have stock but the person in sports and outdoors says they dont.

I have resorted to ordering online. Seems like the only way I can find any at all.

KJG67 04-16-2013 11:20 PM

Finally had a chance to talk to someone after a short wait. They did take my info, understood what I was saying, and they said someone would get back to me (at my request) - it might be today, might be in 3-5 days, but they have enough details they can start somewhere. I told her I can't imagine a billion dollar company can lose 40 boxes of 22LR, but I'm sure the ATF would be interested to find out how they do that.

audiophile - I'll just leave it as a store in the far NW suburbs of Chicago. It still shows as in stock, but I called again and they said they haven't received any. A few others stores in the area show in stock and some are gone. Can't get out there to check though. Now it's just the principle in pursing this.

HOSSFLY 04-17-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosaj (Post 1215169)

Gottcha--THAT was called for ;)

KJG67 04-17-2013 02:28 PM

So the local store manager just called me. Basically he's going to look into it, understands the frustration, and make sure the store inventory numbers are updated. He couldn't explain other than the warehouse has made mistakes before, saying they shipped items when they didn't. I said losing 40 boxes of ammo is not like losing one or two general products. Basically the brush off. One complaint to corporate - just a PITA customer. Multiple complaints from around the country - then you have a trend.

johnr1943 04-17-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJG67 (Post 1216855)
So the local store manager just called me. Basically he's going to look into it, understands the frustration, and make sure the store inventory numbers are updated. He couldn't explain other than the warehouse has made mistakes before, saying they shipped items when they didn't. I said losing 40 boxes of ammo is not like losing one or two general products. Basically the brush off. One complaint to corporate - just a PITA customer. Multiple complaints from around the country - then you have a trend.

Just another way to run you in circles and hope you give up. They don't really care. If one believes they do, they probably believe "This call may be recorded for quality control and training purposes". :rolleyes: