Has There Ever Been This Type Of Ammo Shortage? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > In Stock >

Has There Ever Been This Type Of Ammo Shortage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
There is a Remington plant off I 40 on the way to Little Rock AR. The parking lot always has a bunch of cars in it, even on Sunday. I'm guessing they can't use idiots to make ammo and demand goes slack in times of no panic so there is small incentive to build on. I work in a factory that makes Tundra parts and we have been on long hours for years because of fears the bottom will fall out. There were similar but not so severe ammo shortages only a couple years ago and still friends who knew didn't stock up. They are trying now.
I know that factory... pass it a lot. You really think the majority of people that work in tooling and manufacturing, which has plenty of people looking for work by the way, are idiots?!? If you do, not to be insulting but you are truly clueless. I have many years of manufacturing experience, 99% of it in metal fab. It is not uncommon for a company to have an overflow line that is only used and manned during high volume periods to keep up with demand. I'm not saying build a new facility and spend billions of dollars. Imagine how much money/profit could be made though in the next six months alone if companies WERE able to meet all the needs and demands of agencies, pds, horders and just your average joes... I would say millions IF NOT billions of dollars. It's a good business move and the demands have solid history.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #22

Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
I know that factory... pass it a lot. You really think the majority of people that work in tooling and manufacturing, which has plenty of people looking for work by the way, are idiots?!? If you do, not to be insulting but you are truly clueless. I have many years of manufacturing experience, 99% of it in metal fab. It is not uncommon for a company to have an overflow line that is only used and manned during high volume periods to keep up with demand. I'm not saying build a new facility and spend billions of dollars. Imagine how much money/profit could be made though in the next six months alone if companies WERE able to meet all the needs and demands of agencies, pds, horders and just your average joes... I would say millions IF NOT billions of dollars. It's a good business move and the demands have solid history.
Please go back and reread my post. I said You CAN'T make ammo with idiots meaning that they would have to hire or grow the skilled labor that they would need to expand. I certainly am glad those folks aren't idiots since I put body parts in their hands ever time I pull the trigger.
I also work in manufacturing and have for pushing 40 years and it is tough to hire people off the streets and get them up to speed add that to the building and equipment costs and companies get nervous fast.

BTW I live and work in Arkansas so I don't think we are a bunch of dummies. We do a wider range of skilled tasks and get paid less for it than most workers in the rust belt. But at least I don't have to live in a city anymore.

Last edited by p35bhp55; 05-29-2013 at 05:27 PM.
ryevick Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #23

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

there's only a million cops, and a million guys in the military (that aint navy or airforce,a nd thus, not firing small arms) this country produces and imports 10 billion rds per year. so dhs, etc, ordering 2 billion rds means NOTHING. it's the hoarders causing this problem. they will run out of money/customers very soon and prices will return to normal. those who paid too much will get what they deserve. :-)
nitestalker Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #24

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

No. The flurry of highly publicized mass shootings in the past two years coupled with the uncovering of Operation Fast & Furious plus the socio-political factors in the US have instilled a demand for guns and especially ammo well beyond the AWB-related one about 20 years ago and anything before or since.

Only 29% of people do not think there is going to be an armed upheaval here if you can believe that... During Clinton there was plenty of surplus around to start but no Russian to speak of. Now the surplus was gobbled up globally in the run on ammo that was Obama's First Hundred Days (I'm so proud of our first bi-racial, post-Constitutional, president) and dollars being paid pulled extra stock out of eveyone's closet that they were willing to part with.

Going in to overdrive with Obama's reelection campaign to reinstitute an expanded AWB, gun-related Executive Orders, his pushing for National Arms Registration and a "high capacity" magazaine ban before his second innauguration, the current issue of supply and demand is unique in its breadth and depth despite senior citizens' recollections.

Last edited by MattShlock; 05-31-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #25

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
No. The flurry of highly publicized mass shootings in the past two years coupled with the uncovering of Operation Fast & Furious plus the socio-political factors in the US have instilled a demand for guns and especially ammo well beyond the AWB-related one about 20 years ago and anything before or since.

Only 29% of people do not think there is going to be an armed upheaval here if you can believe that... During Clinton there was plenty of surplus around to start but no Russian to speak of. Now the surplus was gobbled up globally in the run on ammo that was Obama's First Hundred Days (I'm so proud of our first bi-racial, post-Constitutional, president) and dollars being paid pulled extra stock out of eveyone's closet that they were willing to part with.

Going in to overdrive with Obama's reelection campaign to reinstitute an expanded AWB, gun-related Executive Orders, his pushing for National Arms Registration and a "high capacity" magazaine ban before his second innauguration, the current issue of supply and demand is unique in its breadth and depth despite senior citizens' recollections.

First...very well written post with exception of the senior citizen comment...but where did get your percentage from....I would be curious to read the source...thanks!

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #26

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I am with "tts" on this one. He has it dead on. Hoarding is the problem. There will be plenty of ammo as these idiots run out of money. The only "Plot" is these scabs trying to hold up gun owners. Hell every Gun Show has plenty of ammo at outrageous prices. These SOBs have bought up ammo and are robbing the public. If you want to see who is behind the ammo problem attend a Gun Show.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #27

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Release from the NRA relating to this topic

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2013/5/rumor-control-ammo-shortages-revisited!.aspx

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton
People Like This 
Old 06-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #28
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3351 Times on 2025 Posts
Likes Given: 3184

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsl View Post
there's only a million cops, and a million guys in the military (that aint navy or airforce,a nd thus, not firing small arms) this country produces and imports 10 billion rds per year. so dhs, etc, ordering 2 billion rds means NOTHING. it's the hoarders causing this problem. they will run out of money/customers very soon and prices will return to normal. those who paid too much will get what they deserve. :-)
Sadly, those hoarders who have created the problem have made so much money off their sales already that they could give away their stock when supply returns to normal and still be ahead of the game.

They are buying up the retail stock as fast as it shows up on the shelves. They're paying the 10-20% premium at the retail stores, then turning around and selling those same boxes of ammo for 3-5 times the going rate. They have plenty of desperate customers who will pay such ridiculous prices. Their customers are the guys behind them in the lines every morning. Grrrr....

I still say that it would only take a couple of the retail stores to start a waiting list system and the problem would disappear overnight. Don't let the same group of guys get in the front of the line every morning at oh dark thirty and make off with the entire stock. Instead put his name on a waiting list along with everyone else. When he gets his ammo, he can put his name back on the list...at the end. Then all those desperate people who were behind him every morning will get a chance to get some at a normal retail price. So the hoarder will lose his population of desperate people.

Just sayin'
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
ryevick Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Sadly, those hoarders who have created the problem have made so much money off their sales already that they could give away their stock when supply returns to normal and still be ahead of the game.

They are buying up the retail stock as fast as it shows up on the shelves. They're paying the 10-20% premium at the retail stores, then turning around and selling those same boxes of ammo for 3-5 times the going rate. They have plenty of desperate customers who will pay such ridiculous prices. Their customers are the guys behind them in the lines every morning. Grrrr....

I still say that it would only take a couple of the retail stores to start a waiting list system and the problem would disappear overnight. Don't let the same group of guys get in the front of the line every morning at oh dark thirty and make off with the entire stock. Instead put his name on a waiting list along with everyone else. When he gets his ammo, he can put his name back on the list...at the end. Then all those desperate people who were behind him every morning will get a chance to get some at a normal retail price. So the hoarder will lose his population of desperate people.

Just sayin'
on the surface that does sound like a great idea but then you get into ammunition control and regulation which could easily and quickly be frowned upon... but you are right, those a-holes are creating a problem that could go on for a long time...

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 06-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
the title pretty much says it. Has this ever happened before? I realize that if obama can't get the guns he will go after the ammo and i am wondering if that's what's already happening?
Bingo!!!!! His so-called 'Civilian Army' has already over 2 BILLION ammo.
ryevick Likes This