Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > In Stock > Has There Ever Been This Type Of Ammo Shortage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I have never seen the nation so divided as it is now.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 05-20-2013 at 10:29 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1688 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 3454

Even when we had OIF, OEF, other operations around the global; we did not have it this bad after the 2008 elections. That last only 6 months and even then we had ammo on the shelves from .22LR to .308 and no massive waiting lines for ammo at that time.

I still see from time-to-time folks at the range during the week days shooting; but, they ask the same questions on ammo shortage. The big stores are not getting ammo or should I say large amounts.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have not been one the has a lot of trust in government to certain degrees but with this administration I trust them about as far as I can throw a tank... I don't think it's companies trying to keep up with demand and failing, I think it is being caused behind the scenes from this administration some how.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #14

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I have seen this type of shortage at least twice in the past since 1994. It too will pass.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Not since World War 2. Everything was rationed during the War though. Ammo companies were working 24/7 for the war effort. This was for a good cause and voluntary as a nation. Never mind.....

Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2132 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

I agree. I spoke with a good friend of mine who works for the Feds. I was amazed of the amount of ammunition they use each year across their entire agency. However we went through a lot of rounds every year at the Metro PD I worked for our training programs. But previously thinking there was some kind of a conspiracy by the Government I have come to realize for the biggest part it is this developed demand to hoard ammunition. I am sure they also are buying more.
Citizens were and continue to fear the government and elements of gun control attempts therefore they are hording ammunition by the millions of rounds each month.
There are citizens that are making a living hording ammunition by being our there everyday waiting for ammunition to come in a Wal-Mart and other stores. Then marking it up at ridiculous prices and selling it.
Police agencies also are having to order ammunition for their training a year in advance which also causes them to hoard extra ammunition in fear of running out an not being able to train as required. Believe me as Range Master you better not let your department run out of duty or training ammunition or related items. "BAD"!
I kind of relate it to an area that a snow blizzard or hurricane is headed for. After the first few hours or day, No Bread! No Milk, shelves are bare! Well we all know what happened to the ammo shelves everywhere. I hope is slacks in the near future. Most of us have also made arrangements in advance to have ammo even if we have to load it.
But that is my take of the issue!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 05-28-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Bigcountry02 Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #17

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

I got into shooting in December 2012. So, from my perspective, it's amazing to even see any ammo in stores. I can't wait to return to normal and experience what that is like.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I understand the need for agencies and local pds and the hording... but honestly if you owned federal or remington, etc you would expand your operations, open a new plant... don't you think... they could have done so and kept up with demand... it's an increasing business even without what has been going on in the last couple of years... i could be wrong but that's the way i see it...

Old 05-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #19

Liked 99 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 122

There is a Remington plant off I 40 on the way to Little Rock AR. The parking lot always has a bunch of cars in it, even on Sunday. I'm guessing they can't use idiots to make ammo and demand goes slack in times of no panic so there is small incentive to build on. I work in a factory that makes Tundra parts and we have been on long hours for years because of fears the bottom will fall out. There were similar but not so severe ammo shortages only a couple years ago and still friends who knew didn't stock up. They are trying now.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #20

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
I understand the need for agencies and local pds and the hording... but honestly if you owned federal or remington, etc you would expand your operations, open a new plant... don't you think... they could have done so and kept up with demand... it's an increasing business even without what has been going on in the last couple of years... i could be wrong but that's the way i see it...
So let's say this happens....ammo company a goes out and spends a quarter of a billion dollars to build, tool, and staff an additional facility... This takes two years before to complete...but by then the scare is over...ammo shelves are full..prices have dropped and comoany a has a capital investment that it must pay for...where does the money come from?

History tells ammo manufacturers that this will subside....they will do nothing and you don't want them too...it will just cost US more in the end...

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton