Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Hi Power Firearms > New FN Hi Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default New FN Hi Power

This is a 1961 or possibly earlier FN Hi Power. The 1961 comes from the stamp on the frame stating that it was put into service for the Buenos Aires Provincial Police in 1961. I contacted FN to try and narrow down the manufacture date and am waiting to hear back.

The left side of the frame is stamped Div. Interna Sec. and there's a worn crest on top of the slide. I've got to figure out how to remove the white outline.

It's numbers matching frame, slide and barrel. No import mark! It was refurbished by FM in Argentina and it was reblued as well. It has the box from FM and it's numbered to the pistol. The grips are the ones that came with it, but I have a set of early Hi Power wooden stocks with the red backs coming for it.

It's in beautiful condition and is now my carry pistol.

I realize this is the 1911 forum, but I figured it's J.M.B.'s design, so...

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-24-2013 at 04:27 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Lov'n that Hi-Power!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Lou. Me too.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #4

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I'm going to catch some flack for this one, but can someone tell me what is so attractive about these pistols? I've heard the grip is amazing, is that it? I personally think they're kinda ugly. Please don't kill me...

Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I'm going to catch some flack for this one, but can someone tell me what is so attractive about these pistols? I've heard the grip is amazing, is that it? I personally think they're kinda ugly. Please don't kill me...
Shoot one, you will be enlightened.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2508 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

I have no real experience with the Hi-Power but several years ago when I was thinking about adding a semi-auto pistol to my collection, the B.H.-P. was the only auto my wife and I felt fit both of our hands really well.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 132 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I shot a buddy's 9mm Hi-Power back in the '70s and it was love at first shot. But because it was 9mm, I never considered buying one. I'm not a fan of 9mm. But a few years ago, I found a .40 cal FN at a Ft. Myers gun show and couldn't get my wallet out quick enough. I was there to buy a particular rifle and walked out with the Hi-power instead. Casey, have you a opportunity to shoot one? If not, put it on your bucket list, you may change your mind.

guns-004.jpg  

Last edited by jackrich3; 02-24-2013 at 12:29 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Is the white outline paint od maybe lacquer stick?
I'd try some Hoppe's to soften it and rub with a bore patch so as not to ruin the finish.
If that didn't work I'd try some lacquer thinner on a q'tip.
Good luck and nice looking pistol.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #9

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
Why stop there? When you could add...a Glock looks like a Ferrari next to a Beretta. Or..the .45ACP is for fat old guys..Or..only a candy a** would shoot a revolver

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.
People Like This 
Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Casey, it's a very nice carry piece and quite slim even though it's a double stack. It's not as light as a polymer pistol, but it isn't very heavy either. See if you can get your hands on one and shoot it. That's the only way to evaluate a handgun anyway.