browning hi power help.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Hi Power Firearms > browning hi power help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default browning hi power help.

I have a browning 9mm+p. I just shot it at the range yesterday i go to clean it today and I cant pull the hammer back to move the slide and break it down. Any advice would be incredibly helpful. It was passed down from my uncle and it would mean a lot if I fixed this right away. I cant see anything that would be jamming it up. It just does not want to let the hammer go all the way back and the slide itself wont even move to distance the hammer does. Please help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you have any issues while shooting it?
Were you shooting +p ammo? That's not usually recommended for HP's. The only useful advice I have is to take to a gunsmith, I hope it's nothing serious!

Glock G23, G19, G20SF, G21SF, G30S, G38, CZ P-02, CZ75 SA, Dan Wesson CBOB .45, BHP x3, FN HP, Inglis HP, GP-100

Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2868 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Look at the cam area and see if that is messed up.

Remove the grips and you should be able to see the strut that is connected to the hammer.

If you are near the panhandle of FL, PM me.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #4

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I was using regularly loaded and over the counter shells. I honestly dont know why the hammer wouldn't move but I went back and tried moving the slide and finally the hammer slid back and allowed the slide to move. I stripped it and cleaned it and haven't had a problem since. It really is just unexplainable to me I have no idea since I was the only one to handle it all day. One minute jammed a couple hours later it's working as should. Just wanted to let you know. Thanks for the advice and the tip about +p ammo.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #5

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If it happens again. Take the grips off and push the top of the leaf spring

Old 04-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #6

Will do. Thank you. So far it hasnt happened. But I dont want to get ahead of myself.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #7

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I have always felt the slide spring was a little light. Whilst that helps assure functioning it beats the heck outta the slide and the shooter a tad. I replaced mine with the same weight Wolff. A slide slamming into battery with a lot more energy isn't much better than dampening heavy recoil. So, whaddayou guys think about putting in a little heavier weight (like one pound) recoil spring if you're gonna shoot NATO and/or +P primarily?

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-14-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2868 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I have always felt the slide spring was a little light. Whilst that helps assure functioning it beats the heck outta the slide and the shooter a tad. I replaced mine with the same weight Wolff. A slide slamming into battery with a lot more energy isn't much better than dampening heavy recoil. So, whaddayou guys think about putting in a little heavier weight (like one pound) recoil spring if you're gonna shoot NATO and/or +P primarily?
The recoil spring's main job is to return the slide to battery. The main spring and recoil spring do the job together of reducing (absorbing) the slide movement to the rear.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #9

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Shooting +Ps and NATO will wear the lugs sooner than later. Shoot SAMI 9s

Old 04-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #10

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I'm thinking an 18-1/2 lb. recoil spring vs. factory 17 lb., a 34 lb. hammer spring vs. 32, and an extra power firing pin spring upgrade are in order. I replaced the original with a factory replacement of the same weight feeling it was too light but it was the same. Given my ammo is basically 147 gr. Win. Silvertip HP and 124 gr. NATO out of a 6" barrel it would seem adviseable...

browning-hi-power-w-6-inch-ported-barrel-ii.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-15-2013 at 02:38 PM.