Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Zastava M70 AB2-The us contractor weapon of choice!(?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Zastava M70 AB2-The us contractor weapon of choice!(?)

Some days ago, I met a friend of mine who is an italian journalist.He showed me some pictures of his last travel in the middle east.Many of the picture contain Us contractors who are equipped with Zastava M70 AB2(Most probably, iraqi made).I was a little suprised that so many american contractors opted for an ak pattern rifle instead of a AR15 pattern rifle.Actually, the rifles shown in the prictures were partially upgraded but many (a lot) of them looked like they just left the factory(they kept the original design, with no modification).

What would be the reason for choosing such rifle?The amount of ammo available?The reliability of the weapon?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

Liked 1955 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 421

They wouldn't be Iraqi made if they are Zastavas.

Iraq has AK variations from all over, including some made domestically.

Cost, ease of obtaining them, the fact that they "blend in a bit better" locally, familiarity in the area, low maintenence cost, probably all contribute to the selection. many contractors have to obtain their own weapons once they are in country.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #3

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
many contractors have to obtain their own weapons once they are in country.
This one and cost and availability of ammo.

Jim

Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Did you know that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
They wouldn't be Iraqi made if they are Zastavas.

Iraq has AK variations from all over, including some made domestically.

Cost, ease of obtaining them, the fact that they "blend in a bit better" locally, familiarity in the area, low maintenence cost, probably all contribute to the selection. many contractors have to obtain their own weapons once they are in country.
...several years ago, Iraq bought a part o zastava's machinery.I don't know what's the rifle's designation in Iraq, but it is almost identical to the Yugo zastava m70.Another interesting (to me) thing shown in the pictures is the Tabuk sniper rifle-Actually, it is a long range m70(A m70 with longer barrel and full auto capability preserved-again...Iraqi made)

Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #5

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It leaves no evidence. Get into a fire fight with an m4 or m16 people would point fingers at us. Get into a fire fight with an ak no one could or even cares. Thats also along with cost and part availibity.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

jpattersonnh Likes This