Your zeroing procedure....

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Your zeroing procedure....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Default Your zeroing procedure....

Yes, I'm sure it's been done before, but for my sake (as well as those who may be new to shooting); would some of you care to BRIEFLY share your procedure to "zero" your rifle (iron sights / scopes / red dots).

Hopefully it will be educational!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9134 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Assuming you mean a scoped rifle.

Place rifle in rest. Target at 25 yards. Fire shot, holding crosshair on center.

Observe strike of bullet. Put crosshairs back on center, and without moving rifle, turn scope turret knobs to move the crosshairs to where the bullet DID hit.

Now try it at 50/100 yds.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2203 Times on 1540 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Briefly.
1,Boresight it (with magnifying optics). That will put you on paper without wasting ammo.
2.Benchrest it. Ideally, a vise clamp. Practically, two heavy sandbags will do. Shoot a group of 3.
3.Adjust the sights. Rear goes the same way as you want your hits (higher means up, etc) Front, if necessary, goes the opposite way. Red dot - same as rear irons. Optics - a 4 way adjustment, see manual.
4.Shoot another 3. Repeat until dead on.

Last edited by Mercator; 10-06-2013 at 06:54 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #4

Liked 57 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Thanks for the replies... anyone else wanna chime in?

RJ

Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #5

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

If the scope is already on the rifle I will set a target out at 100 yards and see what happens. If it hits the target I will adjust to center the shot group.

If I am putting a scope on a rifle for the first time I will remove the bolt and lay the rifle on sand bags on a table. It is just so it sits still. I will put a target out at 25 yards. I look through the bore to see the target. When the rifle is lined up I adjust the scope to center on the target. I put the bolt back in and fire a round. If it hits anywhere near the center I move the target out further. Eventually I get it out to 100 yards and adjust the scope there. At that point I shoot 3 shot groups. Then I use the center of the three shots as my point of impact. I just keep adjusting the scope until the center of the group is in the center of the target.

Hunting rifles I zero at 200 yards. Everything else I zero at 100.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 10-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i use a combination of C3's method and a bore sighting tool. the boresighter is a valuable tool if you own several rifles with scopes. and can be used to verfy scope adjustments without having to shoot the rifle.

i also like to use a very large piece of cardboard for a target.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

A good bench rest that doesn't move is about the best advice I can give. Get some ratchet tie downs and make it tight to the table.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

i will mechanically zero the scope. this means if the there are 120 clicks stop to stop i will set the knob at 60 true for elevation and windage. if the rifle has a canted rail, they come in 10,20,30,40 moa ill set the elevation whatever cant value is down.

this will almost certainly get you on paper or very close.

i used to bore sight but dont really bother anymore. if the first shot isnt on paper (extremely rare after a mechanical zero) ill fire one round using the center of each edge as a aimpoint until a shot hits and adjust from there. i like using a 20x20 target.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7305 Times on 4393 Posts
Likes Given: 8957

I will be joining up with Jon soon to zero in my Henry. I want to try to do it myself with Jon's guidance. Thanks to the OP for asking this question. I'm learning from it.

RevJammer Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Use a laser bore sight to get reticle in the ballpark, even down a hallway in your home will suffice to get on paper at the range. Head out, use cheap ammo to walk the bullet to the center, then use desired ammo to zero in.