Your wisdom is needed yet again!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Your wisdom is needed yet again!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Your wisdom is needed yet again!

It wasn't long ago that many of you helped me complete my first AR-15 build and provided me with some solid advice/assistance, for those of you who do not know I am the poster formerly V3ritas_A3quitas, mostly a lurker/reader.

ANYWAYS, to the point of this thread. This time your knowledge and sage advice is needed again in really setting my head straight.

My mindset when it comes to purchasing a new firearm often times makes it difficult for me to know right away what I am looking for, and that is where I need your help. With my AR, although I was completely new to firearms, I did not want to start off with a truly beginning level gun. Being a student on his way out of college, the funds are not always there to support my love of firearms, but with my AR I was willing to spend more money than an entry level black rifle because I wanted to have a reliable firearm incase SHTF before I ever had the chance to upgrade to a firearm I felt truly comfortable being in a life/death scenario with.

Without delving to much into my future plans on making sure I am prepared for when that happens, my main goal now besides continually putting in range time with my AR is to buy a bolt-action rifle. The main use of this rifle right away will be target shooting and getting used to the platform, so you could say that I am looking at a beginner's bolt action or budget rifle. But I am also looking for one that allows me to potentially have the opportunity to "grow" as you could say with the rifle and possibly upgrade it later on down the line (much like I have begun to do with my AR15).

I know this debate usually ends up coming down to the Marlin XS7 (I prefer short action) vs Stevens 200 vs Remington 700, but I'd like to see what people's opinions. Do you think one of these 3 would do the trick? Is there another one you feel might fit my need a little better? New or Used?

So many questions and thoughts to get in order. I am looking forward to everyone's feedback.

PS: I also have read the stickies at the top of this forum, and while they have helped towards building my knowledge on the pros/cons of some of my potential choices, I am still very much confused.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #2

Have you considered a Savage 10 or 110?

It's a lower priced rifle, but it's much better quality than other rifles in that price range.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #3

I had not really looked at the Savage 10 or 110 before thanks for the suggestion and I will definitely look into it more.

Any other opinions? What about buying parts seperately and building it, much like my AR?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f41/wtt-savage-model-110-w-scope-44497/

I don't know the seller, but somebody else might.

I'm not really into boltguns or long range; what are you wanting to do that you couldn't do with your AR & a good scope? I mean, SHTF-wise, if somebody is more than 150 yards away and isn't actively shooting at me, i'm not worried about trying to shoot them.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja5on View Post
The main use of this rifle right away will be target shooting and getting used to the platform, so you could say that I am looking at a beginner's bolt action or budget rifle. But I am also looking for one that allows me to potentially have the opportunity to "grow" as you could say with the rifle and possibly upgrade it later on down the line (much like I have begun to do with my AR15).
When it comes to upgradeable rifles very few have as many options as the Remington 700. For that reason one of my favorite baseline guns is the 700 SPS line. My buddy wanted a nice accurate .308 that he could grow with in a platform that he could build up as his requirements became a little tighter and budget allowed. Here is a 700 SPS Varmint in .308 that I recommended to him the day we picked it up.

We kept it factory and just threw on a Barska scope he had laying around so he could get a feel for the rifle and just plain learn how to shoot it. As he started learning he started recognizing the flaws and weak areas of the setup and we put together a plan to address them.

Here is the gun today, a gun ANYONE would be proud to own! Bedded into a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock with a Jewell trigger and topped off with a Leupold Mark 4. It is a precision shooting machine that consistently throws sub MOA groups with quality commercial ammo (about .5 MOA with Match stuff).

Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja5on View Post

Any other opinions? What about buying parts seperately and building it, much like my AR?
it is my opinion, that building a bolt rifle, unlike the ar is a little trickier. the ar has so many parts to choose from its hard not stumble across what you need. with a bolt rifle, its possible but i thinkyou would have to search a lot harder to find parts that are interchangable so to speak. so my guess is you would be better off buying a rifle that fits most of your needs. and as far accesories, i think besides slings, scopes, and bipods there is not near as many options. however. a bolt rifle is a wonderful thing. i sould suggest going with a rifle that you like, chambered in .243, or .308 being new and wanting to shoot often the .243 will be cheaper on ammo and a little less recoil while still being able to reach 400 yrds with practice. . 308 would be a farther reaching, yet more expensive and shoulder punishing. which might not be so good to practice with a lot... now onto models, winchester model 70 is a great along with the rem. 700, tikka looks to be a nice fair priced rifle along the lines of a savage. and if you want to spend a little bit more, t/c icon precision hunter model

Last edited by jjfuller1; 08-03-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
When it comes to upgradeable rifles very few have as many options as the Remington 700. For that reason one of my favorite baseline guns is the 700 SPS line. My buddy wanted a nice accurate .308 that he could grow with in a platform that he could build up as his requirements became a little tighter and budget allowed. Here is a 700 SPS Varmint in .308 that I recommended to him the day we picked it up.

We kept it factory and just threw on a Barska scope he had laying around so he could get a feel for the rifle and just plain learn how to shoot it. As he started learning he started recognizing the flaws and weak areas of the setup and we put together a plan to address them.

Here is the gun today, a gun ANYONE would be proud to own! Bedded into a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock with a Jewell trigger and topped off with a Leupold Mark 4. It is a precision shooting machine that consistently throws sub MOA groups with quality commercial ammo (about .5 MOA with Match stuff).

nice,. when do i get to shoot it? hehe

Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

have you considered a mosin 91/30?? they are super cheap super good super simple bolt rifles. they are like the ruger 10/22 of centerfire rifles. prices range from 89$-800$(price of a real sniper version) with spam crates of 880 round rounds can be had for about 150$ plus whatever shipping costs.

cant beat it with a stick for a good beginer rifle you can mod the living bejeezus out of.

power level is about that of a 30-06

my mosin sniper with 880 round crate, shoots moa i often outshoot peeps with much newer expensive rifles

not the prettiest gun but its a helluva fun thing to shoot

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-03-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #9

Liked 2505 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

I can't describe it, and while I'm sure many agree, I just love

to shoot my Mosin-Nagant. If you like Milsurp, and don't mind @30.06 recoil,

(in 7.62 x 54R caliber) it's a great way to go. Ufortunately, AFAIK,

without a major rebuild or upgrade, the bayonet, and sling are the only

standard bolt-on/upgrades I know of. You can get a synthetic stock, I guess.

If you like domestics, it sounds like the Remington 700 is the way to go for

upgrades. A legendary favorite. Many upgrades. Lots of catalog items to

shop through.

Remember, gunbroker is your friend, and join the NRA...

Old 08-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Ufortunately, AFAIK,

without a major rebuild or upgrade, the bayonet, and sling are the only

standard bolt-on/upgrades I know of. You can get a synthetic stock, I guess.
here ya go

Timney Trigger Mosin-Nagant 1-1/2 to 4 lb Steel Matte - MidwayUSA

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=610883

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=705908

plus a ton of different stock options. ive seen stock kits that resemble ar15s heh

brownells has more mosin addons as do other more mosin-centric vendors.

just a few samples im not endorsing any of them as decent kit just using em as examples. i think there are just as many if not a few more mods for ye olde mosin than the remington 700

i messed up some links one is a scope base with bolt handle other is a set of ghost ring sights.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-04-2011 at 01:59 AM.