Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Your Favorite rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My vote goes for the Rem 700 in .375 H&H...

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.
"Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?"
"No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #32

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

30.06 Sako Finn Bear delux

Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #33
pmg

my favorite now is a ruger 77/22 in 22 hornet

Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #34

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Like many here I lean to older stuff. I just love the history and the form and function of them. It's like art to me. Over the last 6 months or so I've picked up a Rem 03A3, Two Enfields (one a SMLE). THey all havew been sprtterised but the bbls are not cut so I I look to put them back to origional spec as soon as I can. A while back I picked up a Rem 121 Fieldmaster pump 22 for more economical shooting. I have a M1 Carbine that I still believe is one of the most fun rifles to shoot ever!

I just do not believe you can go wrong with the older stuff. Sure you do have to be careful because you don't know how it was treated before it got to you but the rewards are many. Not to say that new rifles are not great. There are tons of them well worth having. But, to get hold of something with a bunch of history just makes me want to bring it back to it's former glory if need be and be able to shoot them. I guess it's kind of like getting an old car. Sure there are more modern and the new ones are really efficient. But taking the old girl out can really get your juices going. and it's not like they are still making them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #35

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have quite a few Semi-Autos, and I'm just getting ready to order my second Bolt Action Rifle. I want to "Slow Down", a little, and get back to Basics, like I used to do 45'ish years ago, when I was a kid.

I want to get back to, "1 Shot - 1 Kill", rather than, "Spray-N-Pray".

I've got Rimfires, 223's, and 9mm Carbines, but I just can't pick ONE Favorite out of the bunch!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with Black Beard. I also have a couple of semi-autos, but I always take out my 223 bolt action. I have the Savage Edge/Axis.

For me, the 223 is a great target shooting round. Enough power to feel and not too pricey...$0.35 a round.

The 30-06 just kills my shoulder just as much as my pocket book.

Price on the Edge/Axis was about $300...for another $50, you could get the Ruger American.

Last edited by john_t_714; 01-03-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #37

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 233

For fun shooting:

In order:

My AR15
45/70 Marlin guide gun

REM 700 270 win
REM 700 7MM rem mag

22lr

PatMan

"You'll put your eye out, kid"

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my future bumper sticker.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #38

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_t_714 View Post

I agree with Black Beard. I also have a couple of semi-autos, but I always take out my 223 bolt action. I have the Savage Edge/Axis.
I just placed an order yesterday, for a Savage 10XP .223 Package. This is my Second Savage, and they're fantastic Rifles.

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #39

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Collection or Hord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeere View Post
I have been shooting and looking for more guns to add to my collection i was wondering what yalls favorite rifle was to hopefully narrow my rifle options down. thank you
Since I have started buying guns (Sept 1963) I bought my first two handguns that year. A Ruger std model .22 pistol (not one of the MK 2 or 3's. this was when the only gun Ruger was selling was the Standard Mdl. .22 that looked a lot like a Lugar. Mine was made some time in the second year that Bill Ruger was in production with his little gem. I paid $34 for it 'used' at a gun show. Almost 40 yrs later I noticed that the blue was wearing and the trigger getting loose so I sent it back to Ruger for a reblue. 3 weeks later it came by UPS and when I opened it I waqs sure they had just sent me a new gun. But the serial number was mine. They had given it a deep blue like Colt use to do and had replaced all the internat parts. All for $40. It always was a accurate little gun and I shot it in team matches for many years. That started me buying guns. The next one was a Colt 1911 just because the Army had taught me how to use one. I went to rifles next and now have all the rifles that the USA had issued to their soldiers since the Civil Ware and most of the pistols. Sounds like I am on rich sob, right? Wrong. My love for guns pushed me into opening my own Sporting goods store and I had signs that encouraged my customers to trade in that old rifle or pistol on a new one., It was unbelievable what people have hidden away in their closet. How about a Springfield Trap Door rifle traded in for $45 and a used Mauser And many more old guns that they thought was worthless. So I guess I could say I am a collector and I never sell anything I buy..

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge

Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #40

Likes Given: 3

Default Winchester M70 Varmint barrel

I bought a win M-70, and it wouldn't put 5 shots in a six inch circle at 80 yards!
Took the action out of the stock and about had a heart attack! I don't know how many people had tried to "fix" this rifle,but the inside of the stock was ruined! The barrel channel had been filled with fiber glass resin, and the recoil lug looked like it had been bedded with bondo, which most was broke out! It was beyond repair! So I ordered a Boyd's TH stock in pepper laminate, and although it was supposed to be cut for a varmint barrel I still took two days opening it up enough for the barrel to fit! I then ground out some wood in the recoil lug,and on the flat behind it, and just ahead of the lug, drilled it for an aluminum pillar, and bedded the whole ares with Devcon 10110 epoxy steel!(lets see that chip out!)
Now at 200 yards it will shoot half MOA with handloads, and MOA with factory
(if you can find it!). I also refinished it with 15 coats of Tru-Oil. I also installed a rifle basix trigger as the factory trigger had been "worked on", and was set at 7 pounds! Anything less and it was unsafe! It is now set at one pound as I like light triggers. I like it!! Doug

I also have a CZ452 .22 rimfire I "had" to tinker with! Restocked into a Boyd's TH vaarmint stock I got as a production over run, for about half price. Installed an AS adjustable sear, which with the trigger spring changed gives me a 6 OZ trigger with no creep or overtravel(I use this for bench rest shooting only!).I also installed a action pillar, and although I didn't bed the action, it will shoot .2" to .4" and some are tighter!
I also put 20 coats of Tru-Oil on the stock as the factory finish had no color! It is a fun little rifle to shoot! Doug

Last edited by da357mag; 02-26-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add to