Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > wsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeniger2002 View Post
So the long action be the better choice
I wouldn't let a bunch of guys like us talk you out of what you want. YOu just have to be prepared for whatever you may need to shoot it in the future. For example, brass basically. If you are a reloader, you will be fine. If not, you could have to become a reloader in a few years. haha

When I bought my first 7mm Rem Mag, I went through the same discussion in my mind. I wanted a 7mm Ultra Mag, but after looking at shell cost, and choices, it was easy to decide I would go with the straight 7mm Rem Mag for those reasons. Just depends on what is important to you. I have a buddy with a 270WSM that shoots pretty good.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #12

You guys are not deciding it for me. I was figuring it our myself been looking at a sendero an love the idea of a fluted bull barrel,and yea I do reload my shells gives better quality than factory loads unless u goof up

Old 12-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeniger2002 View Post
You guys are not deciding it for me. I was figuring it our myself been looking at a sendero an love the idea of a fluted bull barrel,and yea I do reload my shells gives better quality than factory loads unless u goof up
You and I think alike. I have a Sendero. Awesome gun

Old 12-15-2011, 03:36 AM   #14

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Do you think that the WSM will continue to fade out or will it stay fairly available? I really love my 7mmwsm, but if the ammo continues to fade out i may have to get a more popular and readily available caliber for long range.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 AM   #15

Liked 120 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I have 300 rounds of assorted weights 7mm WSM. At the time I paid $24.99 for 150gr pp, $38.99 for 140gr ballistic silvertip, and $42.99 for 160gr fail safe. The short mag seems to me to recoil lighter than the full length 7mm. I also reload.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #16

Liked 16783 Times on 9730 Posts
Likes Given: 43815

the way i see it is this way, the short mags and the super short mags were a fad that has passed to some degree, it didn't catch on as well as the gun and ammo makers had hoped. will they fade away into obscurity, probably not. as the fad has run it's course, availability of ammo and rifles will decline and prices will go up somewhat. i think these cartridges will be more economical in the long run to reload for, rather than buying factory ammo. will the 270 wsm take the place of the 270 win., or the 7mm wssm take the place of the 7mm rem. mag, ect.ect. ? probably not, as they have still got a loyal following and have proven themselves many times over the years.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
the way i see it is this way, the short mags and the super short mags were a fad that has passed to some degree, it didn't catch on as well as the gun and ammo makers had hoped. will they fade away into obscurity, probably not. as the fad has run it's course, availability of ammo and rifles will decline and prices will go up somewhat. i think these cartridges will be more economical in the long run to reload for, rather than buying factory ammo. will the 270 wsm take the place of the 270 win., or the 7mm wssm take the place of the 7mm rem. mag, ect.ect. ? probably not, as they have still got a loyal following and have proven themselves many times over the years.
That about sums it up.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #18

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Do you think that the WSM will continue to fade out or will it stay fairly available? I really love my 7mmwsm, but if the ammo continues to fade out i may have to get a more popular and readily available caliber for long range.
This "fad" has been going along for over a decade now. Not sure at which point we stop calling a cartridge "new" but us gun owners seem to clamp on to a notion and never let it go (like WSMs are a fad). Major rifle manufacturers continue selling WSM guns and ammo is widely available and more popular in sales than some of what we consider "classics" like the .35 Whelen, .257 Roberts and 8mm Mauser. WSSMs sold like hell and you go to Cabelas and there is plenty of ammo for them on the shelves.

Jeez, you can still buy Remington Core-Lokt ammo for 30-40 Krag and NO ONE has made a gun chambered in 30-40 for probably 100 years.