Would You Checkering Done To A Rifle With A Maple Stock?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Would You Checkering Done To A Rifle With A Maple Stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Would You Checkering Done To A Rifle With A Maple Stock?

Right now i'm just in the planning stages and am wanting to have a 25-06 with a Mauser 98 action built with a light colored Maple stock with Rosewood fore-end and grip cap. i've pretty much decided on getting Randy Selby to build this rifle for me and what i'm wanting will cost me close to $3000.00 and checkering would be about $1000.00 more. This will be mostly a target rifle so would you get the checkering done or is there any real need for checkering on a target rifle? Thanks very much for any info on this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2597 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Sam,

Only thinking out loud! May sound a little negative but I do not mean it that way.Only some honest thoughts to process regarding your question.
To begin with $3000 is a lot of money! May be worth it to you. And hope you have better luck with the 25-06 Caliber than I had in the past. Of course if he guarantees accuracy (Sub MOA) you are good to go. My opinion there is not that much need for checkering on a target rifle other than cosmetics. An maple is technically a softer wood vs walnut and others. Question being, if you hit the stock on something when checkered will it damage and crush the checkering? And a grand is a lot of money just for cosmetic reasons when that would go a long way on good Optics for the new target rifle.
Only my thoughts! Good luck with your project!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 09-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #3

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If I was paying Randy Selby to build my rifle I wouldn't seek advice from an internet forum.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
If I was paying Randy Selby to build my rifle I wouldn't seek advice from an internet forum.
i understand what you're saying but in my post i didn't say that i was 100% sure Randy would be building the rifle and also whoever i would get to build it i would like to get advice from other people besides the builder because you never know for sure if the builder would tell you that you need checkering just so they will get more money. also this forum is here to get info and advice from and that's what i'm doing.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Sam,

Only thinking out loud! May sound a little negative but I do not mean it that way.Only some honest thoughts to process regarding your question.
To begin with $3000 is a lot of money! May be worth it to you. And hope you have better luck with the 25-06 Caliber than I had in the past. Of course if he guarantees accuracy (Sub MOA) you are good to go. My opinion there is not that much need for checkering on a target rifle other than cosmetics. An maple is technically a softer wood vs walnut and others. Question being, if you hit the stock on something when checkered will it damage and crush the checkering? And a grand is a lot of money just for cosmetic reasons when that would go a long way on good Optics for the new target rifle.
Only my thoughts! Good luck with your project!

i don't take it in a negative way at all and i very much appreciate your opinion and on top of it all what you've said makes good sense to me. thanks.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5919 Times on 3348 Posts
Likes Given: 5458

Just my opinion, but of ot was my rifle, and I spent $3K on it, I'd use that extra thousand to move up to a Schmidt & Binder, Zeiss or Swarovski scope.

I don't know what you had budgeted for a scope, but add that 1,000 to it and I'll betcha you can get a top end scope.

Winston Churchill