Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Woot! 1 Thousand Dollar to Spend.. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/woot-1-thousand-dollar-spend-95030/)

TrangTuan 08-05-2013 11:23 PM

Woot! 1 Thousand Dollar to Spend..

Well Thread say it all... Just got my work paycheck and get to spend on rifle...

This is my thought so far of how to spent it.

1. Buy a MDT-TAC 21 Chassic for my Remington 700 ADL .308. And spent the rest on other affordable rifle.

2. Spent all on a either .338 lapua or a cheap Used .50 Bmg rifle.

Idea?

Rick1967 08-05-2013 11:26 PM

I would be amazed if you found a beat to crap BMG for a grand.

Txhillbilly 08-06-2013 12:22 AM

Why would you want to put a Tactical rifle Chassis on a hunting rifle?

Please don't take me the wrong way,but you seem to be lost as to what your trying to accomplish with any firearm. You talk about wanting to shoot long range,and then go buy a hunting rifle (Remington ADL),then you ask about changing it to a caliber that there's no way to do so- i.e. 300WM/338LM. You are wanting to CHEAP out on the price of a good rifle,and then you go spend your money on a rifle that would take 3 times as much money to turn into a decent target rifle instead of just going out and buying one that will do it out of the box.
And,you have yet even mentioned putting optics on your wannabe long range rifle.

Here's an idea-Don't shoot the ADL,and take it back to the shop you bought it from. Have them order you a Remington 700 mil-spec 5R in either 308 or 300WM since you seem to like Remington's. Then you'll have a great shooting long range rifle right out of the box. Wait until you can afford some decent glass,rings,rail for it,then buy them and either install them yourself or pay someone to do it. For around $2000,you will have a great rifle/scope set up,and it will shoot very accurate at whatever range you want to shoot at with you doing the shooting part.

You will spend over $2000 trying to transform that ADL into the rifle that I think you are wanting in your head,and you can get that rifle already to go in the mil-spec 5R.

therewolf 08-06-2013 01:19 AM

Or you could drop the money on an Browning X-Bolt.

Then when you pay it off, you would have a great rifle

upon which to install a decent scope.

Perhaps a Rem 783 would be good for you,

then you could get a decent scope with the

rest, and buy ammo later.

What is the goal here ? Hunting? Range shooting ?

bntyhntr6975 08-06-2013 01:31 AM

I think hes just wantin to spend money. So why not save up a little and go with an MRAD? Wouldnt that meet all of his wants/needs so far?

shadecorp 08-06-2013 01:57 AM

If I had one thousand dollars to spend on a rifle,
M1 Garand
or
375 H&H
or
416 Rigby
impractical?
improbable?
Of course.
In real life it would be a lever action in .45 Colt.