Wood Stock for a Browning .270?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Wood Stock for a Browning .270?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default Wood Stock for a Browning .270?

Hey, all. Found my way into a good trade today and wound up with a Browning .270 A-Bolt Stalker. The serial shows it was made in 1992, and from the looks of it, rarely – if ever – fired. The only issue I have with it (and it is just a minor issue) is the composite stock. I would much prefer wood. I spent a few minutes looking on the internet, but nothing came quickly. Any ideas? Shoot, for that matter, anyone wanna trade?

photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg  

Christopher A. S. "Boots" Combest
www.facebook.com/christopher.combest

Member: TSRA, NRA, GOA, North American Hunting Club and Ducks Unlimited

"If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9738 Times on 4188 Posts
Likes Given: 1532

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=17130&cat=1223

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 08-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #3

Thanks, Pard! What a selection they have, too!

"If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain."

Old 08-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I myself would leave the composite stock on it. They don't change with the weather. Fort Bliss is not as humid as where I live. But, it is full of mountains and and rocky areas from the mining that used to happen in that area. scrub brush would play hell on a hunting rifle with a wooden stock.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #5

Great point, Gun Nut, and I agree 100%. I just don’t do much rifle hunting out this way, though. The deer/pig lease I share with a friend is back in North Central Texas. Now, seven days and a wake up from now I’ll be on the Rio Grande hunting dove, and between that and the TCU/LSU game next Saturday night, I’m almost beside myself with anticipation.

C3shooter sent me that link (above) and I just fell in love with this stock. I’m gonna order it Monday AM, and for $97 it’s a real bargain in my mind.

By the way, if anyone knows of good rifle hunting spots near FT Bliss that are not in NM, I’m all ears! Just haven’t had much luck finding anything since getting stationed in this AO.

stock_boyds.jpg  

Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #6

OK - took c3shooter's advice. However, got to looking at some ideas on the ol’ “interweb” and decided I would modify the composite stock *just to see* what my son and I could pull off with a little paint, netting and creativity. The result? Sexy. Am I still ordering a nice Boyd's stock? Yes. But, if I’m ever about to step off into a rocky hunt in bad weather, this bad boy is coming with.

after.jpg