Wood or composite - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Wood or composite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yes, for a young boy and his first "real" gun, synthetic bolt action.

Synthetic because of the durability.

Bolt action because not only does it encourage a child to focus more on each shot, but it's also a bit safer for a youngun who can be so easily distracted.

Imagine this scenario: little boy and daddy out shooting cans in the back forty. Boy is trying and missing with each shot. Then he hits one and flips it high into the air.

He's going to be excited. He may spin around to ask daddy if he saw it.

Now, this is obviously a moment where dangerous handling has to be addressed, and I'm assuming you've already been teaching him how to handle a gun. But the attention span of a young kid is short.

So, in light of something like this happening, would you rather it be a bolt action and you know the chamber is now empty except for a casing, or would you rather it be a semi auto where you know a fresh live round just cycled into the chamber?

Old 11-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Ya need one of each for certain... and also a nice wood grain delux model of some sort

i lov my ruger woodstock but treat it as if it was plastic...
love the plas Abolt stock..gets treated like crap but luvs it

wl

Old 12-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #13

Thanks for your input ! Sandog I will check out that CZ it looks like a sharp gun. I purchased the new Ruger American bolt action 22 LR in the compact version. This is also a gun that can grow with my son . The safety factor sold me on the bolt action as well as the fact he will have to stop between shots and evaluate what he has done. Can't wait till Christmas.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #14

Liked 224 Times on 148 Posts

Glad you made the choice. Congrats, getting your first firearm is a memory he will probably keep with him the rest of his life, like most of us have. Great Christmas for both of you,