Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Wood or composite (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/wood-composite-100860/)

roostershooter 11-27-2013 04:28 AM

Wood or composite

Are wood or composite stocks more valuable over time? Assuming they are both well taken care of.

SSGN_Doc 11-27-2013 04:44 AM

Over time, the wood stock will take on a patina that synthetics don't get. But wood is more easily damaged by the elements. A lot will depend on how the gun is used and cared for.

JonM 11-27-2013 04:47 AM

Depends on the quality of the wood and the work that went into the finishing

chloeshooter 11-27-2013 12:44 PM

for accuracy, durability and reduced recoil: synthetic all the way in my experience. If your rifle is a tool and not an 'admire piece', this is your best bet

best looking? wood without a doubt. this is why I have a cabinet full of rifles......some are lookers and some are not

sandog 11-27-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roostershooter (Post 1442125)
Are wood or composite stocks more valuable over time? Assuming they are both well taken care of.

More valuable ? To the owner, or for possible re-sale? A good synthetic certainly has numerous advantages, more durability with rough usage, less sensitive to warpage affecting point of impact, less prone to show cosmetic "dings". Only in looks is a nice wood stock preferable. For resale, it would depend on the quality of either type of stock, and what the prospective new owner is planning to use it for. A high dollar synthetic like an H-S precision or McMillan would certainly add more value to a rifle than a cheapo synthetic.

roostershooter 11-27-2013 07:58 PM

Thank you all for your opinions. I think I'll go with the synthetic stock. It's my sons first 22 so he will likely beat it up anyways. Next question... Semi auto or bolt action for a young shooter stepping up from the red Ryder. Looking at the Ruger American compact or the 10/22 carbine.

FrontierTCB 11-27-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roostershooter
Thank you all for your opinions. I think I'll go with the synthetic stock. It's my sons first 22 so he will likely beat it up anyways. Next question... Semi auto or bolt action for a young shooter stepping up from the red Ryder. Looking at the Ruger American compact or the 10/22 carbine.

For a young shooter I would recommend the bolt action. Cycling the bolt between shots seems to help one focus more on each shot, trigger pull, sight pic. etc.

My dad started me with a 22 lever action many moons ago. I think that if it had been a semi auto I wouldn't have concentrated on basics as much as I did.

TLuker 11-28-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrontierTCB (Post 1442730)
For a young shooter I would recommend the bolt action. Cycling the bolt between shots seems to help one focus more on each shot, trigger pull, sight pic. etc.

That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. :)

sandog 11-29-2013 12:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A very nice bolt action .22 is the 452 CZ Scout. A shorter, cheaper wood stock and 16" barrel, but the same excellent action and trigger as the bigger CZ's. CZ is no longer selling them as they have gone to the 455 model, but you can still find them used. They have almost a cult following by adults ( myself included), as a VERY accurate carbine to keep in the back seat of the truck or on a 4-wheeler. All a bigger person has to do is extend the stock for comfortable shooting by adding a slip on pad. A youngster will NEVER outgrow one of these as he would with a Rascal, Chipmunk or other cheapie kids .22, They come with a single shot clip for starting out, when he gets to be junior high or high school size, add a pad onto the stock and give him some 5 or 10 round magazines and he will enjoy it for decades more. When he has kids of his own, he can take the slip on pad off, and put the single shot adapter back in and re new the cycle. Mine ( and many others as well), shoots decent ammo into one hole at 25 yards, 3/8ths to 1/2" at 50, and 1" groups at 100 yards. Here are some pics of mine with a Redfield Revolution 2-7x Accurange in Talley rings. Top target w/ Federal Automatch are all 10 shot groups. Check out the CZ section on rimfirecentral.com for more discussion of the awesome CZ scout.

303tom 11-29-2013 02:12 PM

Wood !..................