Wondering if I could get some advice...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Wondering if I could get some advice...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wondering if I could get some advice...

Hey all, first time posting on this sight, I've been a lurker for a little while. I just recently moved to Idaho to start an outfitting business, and I need a new rifle. I really like the "tactical" looking rifles, and I love the quick follow-up shots a semi-auto offers. Im looking into the R-25 from remington, in either 7mm 08 or .308. Which caliber do you think would perform better on long-range elk? Also, if you can think of a tactical looking semi-auto in a higher caliber in the same price range (1500-$2000) let me know! Thanks in advance, it's great to be a part of the community. Nick Savage--

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2010, 02:33 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3483 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Nick, the folks here are more warm and welcome after they know a bit about you. The Introductions Section is a great way to break this barrier.

As for your question, I need to get a grasp on "your" version of "long range elk".

Personally, I would not take most semi auto weapons on a meat hunt. You are after meat, not a target.

There is a HUGE difference between hunting men ( tactical/sniper grade ) and hunting animals ( hunter grade ) weapons.

JD

Old 03-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Nick, the folks here are more warm and welcome after they know a bit about you. The Introductions Section is a great way to break this barrier.

As for your question, I need to get a grasp on "your" version of "long range elk".

Personally, I would not take most semi auto weapons on a meat hunt. You are after meat, not a target.

There is a HUGE difference between hunting men ( tactical/sniper grade ) and hunting animals ( hunter grade ) weapons.

JD
Long range elk for me is gonna be 5 to 800 yards. We do some hunts with the "Best of the West" guys, and they lay 'em out up around 1000. Im just not that into shooting that far away I guess. I own alot of Bolt Actions (30.06, 300win, 270 wby) but I want a semi-auto tactical to add to my collection for a number of reasons: I think they look AMAZING, and they aggravate the rest of society So yea, long range is 5-800 yards. Do you think a .308 or a 7mm 08 could do that? Or am I gonna need to look into something bigger? Thanks.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:17 AM   #4

Sorry if I sound dumb when it comes to guns. Archery is my forte'

Old 03-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Me I don't think there is a caliber in a AR-10 style rifle that can be used on elk at 800 yards. For that kind of shot my min would be at least a 300 win mag or 300wsm. I am not one for magnums and think that many people compensate for a lack of shooting ability with cartridges that say magnum. While the 308 is OK at 1000 yard shooting games it is not a good 1000 yard game shooter. Neither is it good for elk at 500 yards.

7mm STW (Shooting Times Westerner) would also be a great choice as this is what it was developed for. Even a nice 300 RUM would work really well.

If you are not that experienced with a rifle why are you wanting to take 500 yards shots on game? That to me is not hunting that is being to lazy to put in the time and effort at stalking the game and making sure you can make a good clean kill. I have to question if you have ever been close to an elk? These aren't your 110# white tail that can be killed with a 22lr. Elk are big and tough.

Last edited by cpttango30; 03-06-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavensGateOutfitter View Post
I own alot of Bolt Actions (30.06, 300win, 270 wby)
Quote:
Sorry for me this doesn't compute.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Nick I'm also an archery kind of guy but firearms are also a passion of mine.

You can't beat a bolt rifle for performance and reliability IMO. I shoot both the 7mm-08 and the .308 and have to vote for the .308 for heavy hided animals at longer distances and 800 yards is a poke for most firearms and shooters. Just because a cartridge can reach out and touch something does not mean that any given shooter can do the same. This takes lots of practice and concentration.

As stated by Tango, there are far superior cartridges for that task.

For what it's worth, if I were to purchase a .308 in a semi auto today and had $1500.00 to spend I'd go with the FNH. I just love that rifle.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #8

Personally i would never go with a semi-auto for long range hunting. Unless its like a barret 50 cal. I would go with the 7mm stw. The 308 just doesnt pack enough punch at those ranges, and if you reload with a semi-auto, you cant make a hot round or you'll blow up your rifle.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Im not sorry at all I own alot of guns, but I competitive shoot archery and used to work in a bow-shop

Old 03-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Must of fried his hard drive last night.