Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Windage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Default Windage

Someone once said, "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going."

Now, I've been out shooting on windy days and I know that wind has an effect on the path of the bullet, but how do you compensate for wind, and how can you be sure the speed and direction of the wind is uniform all along the path of the bullet? I'm sure it isn't, but does that matter when you're compensating for wind? Is it trial and error, or are there charts indicating the effect of certain wind speeds on certain calibers or bullets? Is there a reference book, like there's reloading manuals, or is it just what each individual shooter discovers through his/her own experiments?

9x18=Makarov

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

wow, thats a great ? that ive been curious about too. i just never remember to post it, thanks. oh sorry i couldnt help

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Here is a good site that I get some of my information on ballistics. It will answer your questions. The answer is too long for me to type

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/5th/32.cfm

Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Very detailed that site! I guess it would take about an hour to set up your shot using that technique.

I guess it'll be good 'ol Kentucky windage for most of us....

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When hunting, the best you can do is estimate the average wind speed along the bullet path. Then you determine the value of wind. Wind coming at 10 mph at direct 90 degrees to you (or from side), will have "full value". Now if the wind is at angle, or say 45 degrees from bullet path, it's assigned "1/2 value", or basically the same (simpilfied) as 1/2 the wind speed. Wind coming directly at or behind is known as having 0 value. Study the wind drift charts for your bullet velocity/weight/ballistic coefficent ahead of time, and guesstimate accordingly. This is the fastest, simplest method I reccomend for most shots except at extreme range, where any wrong calculation will result in serious deflection mistakes. Naturally the longer the range, the more effect wind will have on your bullet. Under 300 yards, wind deflection is usually minimal with such cartridges as most of the popular .243,.270, 30-06 class and above. I hope this was of some help.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, it is thanks. Fortunately I'm not looking to bring home the venison, just making sure the paper doesn't come home alive.....

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If it's a crucial shot you're taking, one of these is essential: http://www.ambientweather.com/newkestrel1000.html

If you know the wind speed, it's pretty easy to compensate, as there have been many "dope" books published. Some shooters may not share their dope, but I'm sure there are a few out there that will. The wind's effect on bullets can be found there. If you hand load, you may have to work up your own dope.

Using a wind meter and your dope book will get you down to a gnat's ass, whereas, Kentucky windage may only get you on paper.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #8

I just do a swag, based on whatever is moving downrange. i.e. grass, brush, branches. Sometimes I will put a piece of surveyors tape on the target stand. That moves with a little breeze, after a bit of trial and error one can get pretty close to wind speed. If you really want to get fancy cut some coat hangers down and poke them into the ground with some survey tape tied to it at 25yd intervals. I only do that when I have the range to myself. It takes a little bit of time to set up, and I don't want to keep others waiting.