Winchester Silvertips, what happened to em? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Winchester Silvertips, what happened to em?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Marketing "ploy". I guess all marketing is a ploy to some degree. Silvertips were/are good bullets. They work. Now Zombiemax IS a marketing ploy. Black Talon, Silvertip, Gold Dot, Starfire, Golden Sabre, DRT. All marketing labels designed to set them apart from the rest of the competition.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

The original Silvertips were a softpoint bullet with a white metal (tin?)cap over the soft point. the idea of the cap was twofold. First, it reduced point deformation in the magazine. Second, it was intended to inhibit expansion until the bullet had penetrated a couple of inches. The Silvertip was touted as a serious big game bullet and in larger calibers, it was pretty good. In the 270, for instance, it was a bit destructive but very effective nonetheless.
Original packaging displayed a silvertip grizzly on the box and this is likely the origin of the name and had nothing whatsoever to do with the Lone Ranger.
The Silvertip was actually a pretty good bullet but was bit destructive in some offerings. I always found them to be accurate and in general, I liked them. I still have a couple of boxes of 30 caliber bullets and some 30/06 and 30/40 Krag factory ammo.
During the same time period or a little later, Remington offered the Bronze Point. This bullet used a bronze plug in the tip as Nosler and Hornady use polymer tips today. The bronze point was an explosive performer and it seemed like that bronze tip always found it's way into the middle of a steak. I've bitten into a few. GD

Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #13

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Marketing "ploy". I guess all marketing is a ploy to some degree. Silvertips were/are good bullets. They work. Now Zombiemax IS a marketing ploy. Black Talon, Silvertip, Gold Dot, Starfire, Golden Sabre, DRT. All marketing labels designed to set them apart from the rest of the competition.
Zombiemax is definitely a marketing ploy. Stupidly, people are buying it. The last gun show I went to, there were so many people talkin about zombies and the zombie apocalypse. They were serious too.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
Zombiemax is definitely a marketing ploy. Stupidly, people are buying it. The last gun show I went to, there were so many people talkin about zombies and the zombie apocalypse. They were serious too.
Just another example of the decline of our civilization. It has been said that human brain function has peaked and is likely to be in decline. There appears to be plenty of evidence to support this contention. GD

Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #15

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It was only marginal on heavy game. I have seen hits on Grizz, Moose. Elk and big deer. It was not that great. And yes the Lone Ranger connection caught on with this product. Our clients were in Alaska and the Rocky Mtns. Maybe in your hunt areas for heavy game it was different.