Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Winchester Ranger 30-30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

how do i know if my chamfer is damaged? what am i looking for? thanks

Old 11-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16861 Times on 9770 Posts
Likes Given: 43950

might want to take it to a competent gunsmith and have it checked out. have him check the muzzle crown and see if the barrel is fouled with lead or copper. sometime barrel fouling will cause accuracy problems as will a dinged crown at the muzzle.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1575 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 4788

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmarlin View Post
how do i make that adjustment to the iron sight?
You may need to post a picture of YOUR rear site and the associated adjustment screws. Knowing how YOUR rear site works is key.

The general rule is the rear sight is moved in the SAME direction you wish to move the point of impact (1)

So if you aim center (POA) and the bullet impacts (POI) to the left (9-o'clock), then you want to move the POI to the right, hence move the rear sight to the right.

Another way to internalize the process is to think of the gun being held firm while adjusting. When you swing the rear sight to the right, you are moving the sight picture over to the point of impact.

You may have a dovetailed leaf, with a notched incline to provide elevation to the aperature.
With this type, you will have to rotate the leave to the right or left as needed. This is sometime difficult.
Other types have adjustment screws.
With a properly fitting screwdriver, carefully turn the WINDAGE screw TWO turns to the LEFT (counter clockwise) and observe the direction the rear site aperature moves.
After noting this, return the sight to it's original position by TWO turns to the RIGHT. Now you should know which way to turn your screw to move your rear sight to the RIGHT or LEFT. (remember the thinking part and taking notes)

Elevation screw is usually on the 'top' and the Windage screw on the 'side' of the sight assembly

As previously mentioned, I like to start at 25 yards.I like to use a target with clearly marked 1" grids.

Grid Target (2)

---------------------------------------------
Notched Incline on Leaf

GENERIC adjustable site (showing windage screw on side)

Footnotes:
(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_sight#Adjusting_for_accuracy
(2) http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

Last edited by KG7IL; 11-16-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #14

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

With all due respect, the Win. Ranger 30-30 is a piece of junk. Get rid of it and get a decent bolt action in a modern caliber, i.e.; .243, 260, 7mm-08, or .308, and many others if you consider long actions also. You can get a good bolt action like the Marlin x7 series for about the same price as your Winchester. In the used gun market, there are 100's of choices.
cottontop

Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Still doesn't explain why it's all over the paper with a scope and all over the paper with iron sights.

It has been suggested the chamfer may be damaged? If it is, would that explain this? or is there something else i can check?

Thank You. This gun was my uncles deer hunting gun. It was given to me after he passed away. It's important to me to get it fixed so i can hand it down to my son. It may be a piece of junk, but it's a piece of junk loaded with memories from a lifetime with my uncle.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Take it to a gunsmith or a competent friend.
You inherited it and the cost of getting it where you want it should not be a factor.
You do not know what your Uncle may have done to it. (no disrespect to him intended) It could have been dropped or subjected to some other incident that is causing the problem.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #17

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

What does the bore look like? It sounds like the bullets are not being stabilized. The bore could be shot out (unlikely) or it could be fouled due to lack of proper cleaning, or it could be permanently damaged due to pitting, improper cleaning, etc. In my youth, I had an old M94 in .30-30 that was shooting exactly like yours is. The bore looked like the inside of a stove pipe. The damage was permanent and cleaning made no difference. If yours is damaged in the same way, it cannot be fixed. If so, hang it on the wall in a special place along with a picture of your uncle and his memory will be relived everyday.
cottontop

Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pics of 30 30 bore

Here are two pics of a problem on the bore. This is what I found. I took everything, all the scope and mounts and everything off to see this. Is the gun done? or can it be repaired? It's a chunck out the metal. have no idea how long it was there because the scope and scope mounts hid this. i have had he gun for 6 years and have never able to shoot it with any consistency. I could shoot it three times and it would look like it was on. i could shoot it again after shooting other guns and it may or may not hit paper. Then shoot it again with no adjustments and it may hit back on. scope or iron sights it was the same result.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited by buckmarlin; 11-19-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1575 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 4788

It's kinda hard to see from the picture. Those pics are pretty good, but not what would be needed from this keyboard.

I believe what we are looking at, is the recess on the chamber face that allows for the ejector hook to properly seat around/over the rim of your 30-30 cartridge.

Where I am having difficulty is determining if the recess is damaged, scored, peened, or mal-shaped at this time.

Now is the time to make a decision:

A. If you want to make this a shooter, and you suspect damage GO TO THE GUNSMITH.

B: If you want to make this a non-shooting keepsake, Stop now!
B1. Identify the known problem on a small card and attach it with string to an inconspicuous place for future reference*

C. IF you want to make it a shooter, you can restart this at step A.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #20

What do the bullet holes in your targets look like? Are they round, oval, rectangular?

From you explanation of inaccuracy I'd guess that old barrell is sending it's projectiles unstable.

I'd check headspace and carefully inspect the barrell.

I too love lever guns and still have my very first centerfire purchased- a model 94.. These things by design are at the back of the class for accuracy but really shine sexy..