Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Winchester model 94 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/winchester-model-94-a-59895/)

racingfanatic 03-10-2012 10:49 AM

Winchester model 94

So ive been shopping around for a new toy to spend my tax refund on and i really want to get a lever action in 30-30 ive looked at both the marlin and winchester im pretty much sold on the winchester but i was wondering if there is anything i should look for when buying used that would indicate a lot of wear or neglect thanks

cottontop 03-10-2012 01:23 PM

Look closely at the bore as some of these old fifles were grossly neglected and rarely cleaned. A curddy pitted bore will give very poor accuracy.
cottontop

racingfanatic 03-10-2012 03:15 PM

Yeah thats what im afraid of im just gonna try and take my time and find one in good shape hopefully i get lucky at a gun show tomorow

Axxe55 03-10-2012 03:23 PM

this is purely my opinion and not to be taken as fact or gospel. i like the looks of the winchester M94, but i believe the action to be stronger and smoother in the marlin. the winchesters might be a little more pricey than a used marlin as they stopped making the M94 about 2008 or 2009, but they still amke the marlin. cottontop is right though, check the bore and check for smoothness and tightness in the action. don't let outwards appearance fool you, because many of these rifles ended up behind the seat of trucks and got scuffed and scratched up, but the rifles as far as working might be perfect. just something to consider.

racingfanatic 03-10-2012 03:37 PM

Axx i completely agree with you that the marlin is a smoother action better designed and the better deal cost wise but the winchester just feels better in my hand and more comfortable in my shoulder

Axxe55 03-10-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racingfanatic (Post 735693)
Axx i completely agree with you that the marlin is a smoother action better designed and the better deal cost wise but the winchester just feels better in my hand and more comfortable in my shoulder

that's good enough reason to buy it. if fits better, you will shoot it better. from a personal preference, i like the looks of the winchester better, and i bought another one a several weeks ago. my reasons for the winchester are just nostalgic. just out of curiosity, what are they asking for the winchester you are looking at?

racingfanatic 03-10-2012 04:13 PM

Ive looked at a few cabelas is ridiculious on the price of there used ones 500 and up for post-64s and 450 plus for used marlins but i have found a m94 at a lgs for 265 in good shape tho i didnt get to see the bore but it was drilled for a scope and i would really like to find one not drilled

powg 03-10-2012 04:16 PM

winchester or marlin ?

The marlin is far a better built,and more accurate than the winchester . my 336 t topped with an old weaver k4 at 100yrds the first 2 shots( bullseye) will almost touch each other the third will be a 1/2 -1 inch away from the bullseye . with hornady leverevolution ammo.:D

Durangokid 03-10-2012 04:55 PM

The 94 Winchester has been the number one carbine for over 100 years. There have been many lever guns come and go. The Marlin is stronger more accurate:confused: Hell these are not target rifles they are the rifles of outdoorsman. What has a stronger action have to do with it? The 94 is rated to the same pressures as the 336 action. The 94 is flat and fits a saddle scabbard much better. The 94 is not bulky or clumsey like the 336 Marlin. The 94 opens on top. If you are in the back country and stick a round in the action your hunting knife can clear a 94. Try clearing a 336 Marlin it is like working on a little Jap car. The back country rifle shold shoot lead bullets. Just try factory velocity lead 30-30 rounds in a Micro Groove Marlin.:rolleyes: Find a nice used [not Japan] American Winchester and own a legend. Good Luck.:D

racingfanatic 03-10-2012 05:07 PM

I agree the 94 is slimmer than the marlin which is one of the things i like about it but the solid top of the marlin gives it a definite advantage for scopes i personally dont want a scope so no big deal for me...and on a side note im a mechanic and love working on "jap" cars lol