Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Winchester model 94 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/winchester-model-94-a-103791/)

Jimski 02-08-2014 12:00 PM

Winchester model 94

I'm considering adding a lever action rifle to my collection and have zero'd in on the Winchester 94 in .30-30. Looking around I see that one in good condition can be got for around $500. Looking for comments from folks with some experience with this rifle or possibly even a different (better) choice for about the same cost.

Thanks,
Jim

mountainman13 02-08-2014 12:33 PM

I'd suggest a marlin unless you enjoy having empty casing bounce off your forehead and having a hard time mounting a scope. The older Winchester's are nice for collectors. IMO it Looks like you are ripping the guns guts out when you cycle it and they suck to work on. The Marlin can be had for less and isn't top eject.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

LawAbidingCitizen 02-08-2014 01:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a model 94 and love it. Never been hit in the head with a spent casing and no scope because I don't need one. Its not a deer gun, although it could be, just always wanted one. With iron sights I've cranked it out to about 100 yards reliablely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Firearms Talk mobile app

LawAbidingCitizen 02-08-2014 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, sent it early.

Axxe55 02-08-2014 02:07 PM

Winchester also modified the Model 94 in later years to an angle eject with a drilled and tapped reciever for mounting a scope if desired. but IMO, a Winchester just doesn't look right with a scope. personally i can't picture John Wayne with a scope on his Winchester!:eek:

TLuker 02-08-2014 02:21 PM

I'm a Winchester fan myself. Marlins are good but there is just something special about a Winchester. And I don't think any collection is complete without a model 94. :)

JW357 02-08-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawAbidingCitizen (Post 1501349)
I have a model 94 and love it. Never been hit in the head with a spent casing and no scope because I don't need one.

My thoughts exactly.

My model 94 in 30-30 is one of my favorite long guns and one I hope to be able to pass down someday.

I paid $400 for mine at a tiny little gunsmith shop in Kalifornia. Honestly I think that shop was an anomaly. I would've bought the same gun for up to $600 if that's what I had found first.

Good luck in your decision and search.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

LawAbidingCitizen 02-08-2014 03:08 PM

Mine is a 94xtr. Every thing I read and look up talks about a safety. There is not one on mine. It also has a hooded front sight original but every thing I see is just a post. What about yours? I also bought for $400 from an individual at a gun show. Well worth it.

JW357 02-08-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawAbidingCitizen (Post 1501434)
Mine is a 94xtr. Every thing I read and look up talks about a safety. There is not one on mine. It also has a hooded front sight original but every thing I see is just a post. What about yours? I also bought for $400 from an individual at a gun show. Well worth it.

No safety on mine. I haven't shot it for a month or so but if memory serves it has traditional sights.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

KG7IL 02-08-2014 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Opinions vary. Mine is not different (in that it varies from others).

If I were to be in the market for a Win 94. (not just a lever, but a 94), I would pick one in the more classic configuration.
I'll second the 'hand it down' value. . . The more traditional, the better.

Top eject is fine. Mine has a Leupold Detacho mount with a Leupold M8-2x fixed focus. It was an original owner, minor modification, but still have the original parts.
Safety? Half Cock has worked fine for years. The bicycle helmet folks may be concerned, but many of us grew up in a world where danger helped define the future of the species.

Collection? I think 500 puts you in the 'working collection' or shooters. But a working collection should include a Win 94, just seems right. .