Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Winchester Model 92 Chief Crazy Horse (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/winchester-model-92-chief-crazy-horse-76065/)

jcd390 11-10-2012 03:37 AM

Winchester Model 92 Chief Crazy Horse

Okay guys, I have a Winchester Model 94 Chief Crazy Horse and a Legendary Frontman that was passed down to me from my grandfather. Neither rifle has ever been fired and they both still have the original boxes and paper work. I am not a gun collector nor do I believe in keeping a gun that I am not going to shot however these guns are freaking beautiful awesome. Now that I am interested in purchasing a couple of new guns I am in a little bit of a dilemma. Do I keep the guns and pass them down to my son or do I sell them for new guns that my son and I can enjoy together. What would you do?

nitestalker 11-10-2012 03:55 AM

The Winchester Chief Crazy Horse is a Mdl. 94 caliber .38-55 WCF. They were issued in 1983. Current value unfired with box and papers $1,100 dollars.:)

95sniper 11-10-2012 03:57 AM

I might be wrong but with the way our economy is it might not be a good time to sell, but then again maybe the economy will just get worse

gearhead396 11-10-2012 03:59 AM

Sell em people always say aw but there keep sakes how could you but the keepsakes are the memory's in your head and in your heart sell em and don't give it a second thought get the guns you want and look at it as a present from grandpa

Gonzilla 11-11-2012 04:35 AM

Pick up some ammo for the Guns you have and take your son shooting now. Start a new tradition and don't forget to take a few shots for Grampa.

Every safe queen should go to the dance. :D

jcd390 11-12-2012 12:35 AM

Seriously thinking about selling them, right now they just sit in the safe! I would like to shoot them but I am not sure how much that would bring down the value? Any ideas?

racer_x 11-12-2012 12:41 AM

WOW this is somthing i would never consider

robertb6112 11-12-2012 12:50 AM

Keep them. Your kids will thank you.

gunsmoke11 11-12-2012 01:20 AM

Shooting a commemorative usually drops the value by 50%. This is only my opinion for what it's worth and some will disagree, but most of those commemoratives don't really grow in value that much, so shooting them beauties can bring much more pleasure over time.

It's strange, but commemoratives are usually less in demand than your standard off the shelf gun, which eventually ends up being worth more down the road. But there are certain examples like the Winchester 9422 Annie Oakley .22, like the one I gave to my brother, which is selling for over $2000 and I think will continue to go up in value substantially in the future that I wouldn't fire and keep it pristine.

I have trouble letting go of anything that belonged to a loved one. Maybe I'm just too sentimental. I sold the Chief Crazy Horse many years ago in the 90's, but always thought it was one of the nicest looking commemoratives out there. The Legendary Frontiersman is also a nice rifle and both being 38-55 makes them even better. Great calibre! It's entirely up to you what to do with yours.

Txhillbilly 11-12-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcd390 (Post 1010910)
Seriously thinking about selling them, right now they just sit in the safe! I would like to shoot them but I am not sure how much that would bring down the value? Any ideas?

The bad thing about any of the commemorative rifle is they are only worth what someone's willing to pay for them.That could be half of what the said "Book" value is.
Usually if you shoot them,they are worth about as much as a regular model would bring.If you have the boxes/paperwork/etc. that came with them,and everything is in excellent/mint condition,you can get the most for them if you find the right buyer.
If you take them to a dealer,they will probably give you 50-60% of what they are said to be worth.They are hard to sell usually,unless they are rare low numbered production guns.

My first deer rifle was given to me from my grandfather- A Paul Jaeger sporterized 1903A3 30/06,and I will never get rid of that rifle.It holds a lot of memories!
I'd just keep the Winchester's if it was me.