Winchester Model 70 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Winchester Model 70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Axxe, I appreciate your knowledge and passion. I also own a couple price point rifles-- a Tikka .243 that shoots very well,

image-3996933074.jpg

and a Howa 300 WM that shoots very well also. Out to 700 yards so far...

image-1096862644.jpg

All that said, I'd trade them both in a second for a Model 70. I've never shot anything between 1958-2010, but I don't doubt the quality. Just my not so humble opinion....

Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1278 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default Winchester model 70

I am with you on this one!! It is my favorite deer rifle.

I have taken 1 elk and about 50 deer with it.

I added a synthetic stock. Love this rifle. Had mine since 1975.
Plus the new Winchester Premium high performance ammo makes
it even greater.

dscn0604.jpg

Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Model70, you brought some valuable information to the table on the current M70 and some made before 1964 with some interesting differences between the different years. very good information there.

i too, would trade two for one for the right rifle as probably would many others. but the point is, many of the price point rifles, can hold their own in as far as accuracy. i too, like walnut and polished blued steel rifles as much as the next guy, but many are overpriced when all you need is an accurate rifle that could end up dinged and scratched up on a hunt. like i said, my Marlins, will hold as well in accuracy as the Remingtons and Winchesters that i have. as a matter of fact, one of the Marlins is restocked in a Boyd's grey laminate stock and the other is getting a walnut stock soon. synthetic stocks are cheaper to make than carving a wood stock, so there can be a greater cost savings in doing so. they also don't spend as much time and energy in making the metalwork as pretty as the higher cost rifles and pass the savings onto the consumer. so IMO, the lower cost rifles are a good rifle for someone on a budget. another point that i will add here is, a nice walnut, blued steel, fine looking M70 or M700 will retain better value in the long run when some decides to sell over the lower cost rifles. so there is an advantage to one over the other in regards as an investment.

the other point i will make is, unless someone has direct knowledge and experiance with something, then statements as to what was said, have no merit and are baseless and misleading. i based my statements on past personal experiance with said rifles mentioned.

price differences, the cheapest Remington M700 the SPS has an MSRP of $702, the cheapest Winchester M70 the Shadow, has an MSRP of $759 and the Marlin X7 has an MSRP of $391.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
Model70, you brought some valuable information to the table on the current M70 and some made before 1964 with some interesting differences between the different years. very good information there.

i too, would trade two for one for the right rifle as probably would many others. but the point is, many of the price point rifles, can hold their own in as far as accuracy. i too, like walnut and polished blued steel rifles as much as the next guy, but many are overpriced when all you need is an accurate rifle that could end up dinged and scratched up on a hunt. like i said, my Marlins, will hold as well in accuracy as the Remingtons and Winchesters that i have. as a matter of fact, one of the Marlins is restocked in a Boyd's grey laminate stock and the other is getting a walnut stock soon. synthetic stocks are cheaper to make than carving a wood stock, so there can be a greater cost savings in doing so. they also don't spend as much time and energy in making the metalwork as pretty as the higher cost rifles and pass the savings onto the consumer. so IMO, the lower cost rifles are a good rifle for someone on a budget. another point that i will add here is, a nice walnut, blued steel, fine looking M70 or M700 will retain better value in the long run when some decides to sell over the lower cost rifles. so there is an advantage to one over the other in regards as an investment.

the other point i will make is, unless someone has direct knowledge and experiance with something, then statements as to what was said, have no merit and are baseless and misleading. i based my statements on past personal experiance with said rifles mentioned.

price differences, the cheapest Remington M700 the SPS has an MSRP of $702, the cheapest Winchester M70 the Shadow, has an MSRP of $759 and the Marlin X7 has an MSRP of $391.
Fair enough.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #25

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Axxe,

Sorry to offend mate. I have shot a couple of Savages, and have not been excited by their quality. I almost jumped on a huge heavy barrelled 30-06 (Model 10 or 110 I think) a few years ago until it disappeared. I saw it back at the gun shop a few months later and was going to snag it when the dealer told me to stay away. It had already been back to the factory to be rebarrelled once and still wouldn't shoot. As for the Marlin, I admit I haven't fired one, but the quality seems lacking. Frankly Marlin does a great lever gun (better than the vaunted 94 even IMO) and their rimfires are the best, I would have expected better than a hybrid of the Remington 700 and Savage.
Nothing against Tikka, they make an excellent rifle, the Howa & Vanguard are the same thing, and have proven to be decent guns.
I too have owned & fired Ruger M77s original and MKII, and enjoy them though neither model is as trim or sleek as my M70s. I have owner Remington 700s, and still do. They are almost as much fun as ARs with the customization that a reasonably skilled man can do himself. Not only that, they are accurate.
The Remington 770 is an abomination before God and man and should be destroyed...or sold to Al Queda so we know they are shooting, but don't have to worry about them hitting anything.
As for Weatherby...my dream gun would be a Custom Shop Mark V Euromark or Sporter though I'd avoid the proprietary cartridges if I could...not a fan of them.

I would still put my M70 XTR 270 Win up against any of the bargain rifles coming out.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

7x57, no offence taken. just setting the record straight. one Savage rifle can be poorly made just any other product can be. several years ago i bought a new Dodge truck, had 40 miles on the odometer and in the first week was already in the shop. in less than a year i owned it, it had been in the shop no less than 30 times for various problems from check engine light, complete failure of the lights at night, erractic electric window operation, and transmission problems. i did end up trading it, but i still buy Dodges to this day. i just happened to get a bad one, and i am reasonable enough to know it happens. rifles are no different than anything else that is mass produced. just some are better quality controlled than others. my disappointment with the Remington M770 didn't turm ne off to Remington, just the 770. my experiances with the Savage rifles has been good, but i prefer others over them due to ergonomics, not accuracy or how well they are made. we all have our preferences. i happen to have found the Marlin bolt actions to be very well made and every bit as good as the same type rifle as what Remington o Winchester makes. now i wouldn't compare it to a Remington CDL or a Winchester M70 high grade or a Weatherby Mark V, but compare a Marlin X7 to the SPS, or the Shadow series, or the Vangaurd. every bit as good a rifle. all have synthetic stocks, now the Winchester and the Weatherby have controlled round feed, while the Marlin and the Remington have a push round feed. all are very accurate, all IMO, seem to be well made, and now we come to the biggest difference, the price. the Marlin does as good as the rest, but at a bigger savings of a couple of hundred dollars to few hundred dollars difference. i would match my Marlins against just about any rifle and would venture to guess that it might be as good as any rifle costing twice to three times as much in price. i have shot Remington, Winchesters, Rugers and Weatherby's long before Marlin came out with the X7's, and i know from past experiance, and present use, the Marlin will hold it's own anyday of the week. it is that good and at a price just about anyone can afford.